This topic contains 30 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Thrax 10 years, 7 months ago.

• Author

Bobirov
    Participant

I was messing around with the laserproof tag for shields tonight and I was noticing something. If you set it to true, it does stop lasers from passing through the shield and you hear it collide with the shield. However, damage is still applied to the tank just like normal. I was just wondering if that is the way it is supposed to work? If you make the shield large enough, the collision is far enough away from the tank that it takes no damage.

I suppose that is a good idea to have a tag that just controls whether or not lasers collide with the shield. But, could there be an additional tag like that controls the amount of laser damage that passes through the shield and damages the tank. It would be nice to be able to control the player’s resistance to damage from lasers when using different shields.

No biggie really, just something I was thinking about.

Thrax
    Participant

@bobirov wrote:

I suppose that is a good idea to have a tag that just controls whether or not lasers collide with the shield. But, could there be an additional tag like that controls the amount of laser damage that passes through the shield and damages the tank. It would be nice to be able to control the player’s resistance to damage from lasers when using different shields.

Tee hee. laserproofing eh?

Yes, i’ve yet to play with it. But if a shield’s set to block laser, it actually
    should..

Levels of resistance is good, 0-100% maybe. It’s definately something i’ll
    be using in lasermod when the time is right..

Willis
    Participant

I assume then the damage is converted to the shield instead of the tank?

Or at least… considering its still got a few things to work out.. it should?

Bobirov
    Participant

@willis wrote:

I assume then the damage is converted to the shield instead of the tank?

Nope, currently lasers do no damage to shields, regardless of how laserproof is set.

Thats another good suggestion though. An optional boolean toggle like , or something along those lines, that controls whether to damage shields first instead of the player would be nice. 🙂

jdog
    Participant

@bobirov wrote:

I was messing around with the laserproof tag for shields tonight and I was noticing something. If you set it to true, it does stop lasers from passing through the shield and you hear it collide with the shield. However, damage is still applied to the tank just like normal. I was just wondering if that is the way it is supposed to work? If you make the shield large enough, the collision is far enough away from the tank that it takes no damage.

Something must have changed from when I was trying it in betas, as I noticed that shield size played no part if a tank was damaged(no damage from laser) unless the laser damage over powered the shield.

Bobirov
    Participant

@jdog wrote:

Something must have changed from when I was trying it in betas, as I noticed that shield size played no part if a tank was damaged(no damage from laser) unless the laser damage over powered the shield.

Definately not how its working now. Like I said, the only way to prevent damage to the player using the tag is to make the shield about a radius 4 or bigger. Otherwise the collision is still close enough to the player to cause damage. And the lasers don’t do any damage to the shields, with or without laserproof.

jdog
    Participant

@bobirov wrote:

@jdog wrote:

Definately not how its working now. Like I said, the only way to prevent damage to the player using the tag is to make the shield about a radius 4 or bigger. Otherwise the collision is still close enough to the player to cause damage. And the lasers don’t do any damage to the shields, with or without laserproof.

In that case I need to check to make sure none of my shields that are less then 4 in size don’t use the laser proof tag or are inlarged a little bit.

imported_gcamp
    Participant

It was kind of working it was just that for some shields the point of contact with the shield is still close enough for the laser’s hurt radius to hit the tank.

I’ve changed the code so if it has a laser proof shield the tank will never take damage from lasers.

Thrax
    Participant

@gcamp wrote:

It was kind of working it was just that for some shields the point of
    contact with the shield is still close enough for the laser’s hurt radius to
    hit the tank.
    I’ve changed the code so if it has a laser proof shield the tank will never
    take damage from lasers.

oh yah! i forgot about that part. i have a few of rather large radius in my mod.
    I suppose it could have that effect still then. Larger shields protect from larger lasers..
    either way.. if lasers impact the shield and damage it, then there’s new
    options we can work with.. something akin to BD’s Armor-pierce.. 😀

Bobirov
    Participant

Glad to see that is fixed. I thought it was a bit silly for the laser to still damage the tank even though his shield stopped it. I just got around it by making the shield bigger than I had originally planned. But now I can make it a more fitting size. 🙂

@thrax wrote:

either way.. if lasers impact the shield and damage it, then there’s new options we can work with.. something akin to BD’s Armor-pierce..

As far as I know, lasers do impact the shield but they do not damage it, unless that has changed with this recent fix.

I still say I would like for there to be some form of ‘penetration’ value for laser damage. Just simply having an ‘on/off’ switch for laser damage is not very configurable. Its better than nothing, but I would still prefer to be able to scale down (but not totally eliminate) laser damage using shields. I don’t really have any direct plans of doing that myself at the moment, but I could see some people wanting it.

I don’t know how you’d handle the lasers damaging shields, haven’t put any thought into it. Perhaps if you had the laser doing reduced damaged to the shielded player, you could transfer the rest of the damage to the shield. Just a thought.

Thrax
    Participant

@bobirov wrote:

As far as I know, lasers do impact the shield but they do not damage it, unless that has changed with this recent fix.

I still say I would like for there to be some form of ‘penetration’ value for laser damage. Just simply having an ‘on/off’ switch for laser damage is not very configurable. Its better than nothing, but I would still prefer to be able to scale down (but not totally eliminate) laser damage using shields. I don’t really have any direct plans of doing that myself at the moment, but I could see some people wanting it.

I don’t know how you’d handle the lasers damaging shields, haven’t put any thought into it. Perhaps if you had the laser doing reduced damaged to the shielded player, you could transfer the rest of the damage to the shield. Just a thought

Lasers radius damage can’t be that diffrent from the splash damage from
    any other weapon. a nuke beside a force isn’t reflected, but damaged..
    I can see stopping the beam at the shield like any projectile, damaging it
    instead of the person.

Shield’s have a penetration value for projectiles. A variable for laser
    penetration would be similar. Cutting all laser damage completely,
    reguardless of laser power or radius is rather harsh tho.
    if we want ‘proof’, 1.0…

But even that may not be able to block some of our creation.

BOY
    Participant

I thought I understood this feature request, but then toward the end I got confused. 😛

What is the current situation with lasers, anything new? Is there any way to configure the damage to the shields? if at all?

Imo, if the shield stops part of the laser, the remaining energy should continue through and damage the tank.

ie: if laserproof is on and and laserpenetration is set to 0.5, then the tank takes half the damage, the shield takes the other half.

Thrax
    Participant

@boy wrote:

I thought I understood this feature request,
    but then toward the end I got confused. 😛
    What is the current situation with lasers, anything new?
    Is there any way to configure the damage to the shields? if at all?
    Imo, if the shield stops part of the laser, the remaining energy
    should continue through and damage the tank.
    ie: if laserproof is on and and laserpenetration is set to 0.5, then the tank takes half the damage, the shield takes the other half.

At the moment, there’s None of anything. Laser stops at shield..
    End of weapon.

I liked the earlier way… Ambiant still effecting thru.
    so that shield-size and laser-size could balance and be managed.

Bob’s idea, is.. like an explosion, Lasers effect shield…
    Level of penetration and a variable, tell how much is blocked
    or get’s thru

either of the last 2 ideas.. good, first idea.. bad

Thrax
    Participant

Moved over from -v 40.1 bug: shields bug-

@thrax wrote:

Rats Rats Rats!!! LaserProof was altered.
    Half the weapons on ScorchWars are now useless.
    or.. not so much useless, an Redundant..
    Either the laser hits or it doesn’t.
    there’s no level of penetration based on size of laser or shield.

All the beta versions i’d been testing lead me to believe the method
    was set, so i developed level’s of weapons and shield’s to use them.

@bobirov wrote:

I think that laserproofing needs to be more configurable
    than it is. First off, I think that laserproof should be changed from a
    boolean value, to a long value so that if you say 1.0, no damage makes it
    through, 0.5 would be 50 percent damage can make it through (provided
    the shield isn’t so big that the laser can’t reach the player, just like it was
    before).

Secondly, I think there should be boolean value to toggle whether or not
    lasers can damage the shield. If shield damage from lasers is turned on,
    then the shield’s penetration value could effect how much damage the
    shield can take from lasers, just like it does from explosions and other
    damaging primitives.

Changing those two things would make laserproofing a lot more
    configurable than just the current “on/off” toggle that we have now. Even
    the way they were before was more configurable than it is now as you
    could adjust the size of the shield to get different effects.

Thought i’d refresh this, since apparently on most people’s minds it’s totally unimportant..

However, for the purpose of balancing, it’s rather obscene..
    At it’s Current incarnation, Laserproof is unnacceptable.

I could design a size 0.000001 shield, and it would completely block a
    Map-Sized Laser that does a Zillion points damage..
    Tell me how fair that would be if it blocked explosions in the same manner.

BOY
    Participant

I thought it did block explosions the same way, the size of the shield has no importance on the actual exposion, big or small.

Not to spoil your rant though, I agree, it was cool to have some lasers that busted the shields.

How about having laser damage be determined by a ratio of the shield radius to the laser radius whenever the laserproof is on.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 32 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.