This topic contains 5 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  imported_gcamp 9 years, 4 months ago.

• Author

Rommel
    Participant

Hi All:

Thank you for reading this post and for any help you may be able to provide. I’ve been having a terrific time playing with the Apoc Extreme mod but I’m still having some issues with large maps. Currently, I can’t see all of the maps even though I’ve clicked on the highest point and zoomed out as far as possible.

Don’t tell me to stay away from large maps, it’s not possible. 😉 I’ve been working on trying to get the game more true to scale and currently, larger maps seem to be my only option. Resetting the tank scale seemed to be the best choice but I don’t think I can change the default tank sizes or window displays on remote players.

Although I know I’ve seen some posts on the ramp settings, searching the forum posts using the term ramp wasn’t helpful. It brought up 3 posts from Apollo Tangent and 1 from Viking but none of those were helpful. The post from Apollo Tangent asking for a 2 week hold on the stats (while he developed his “skills” for the new version) was interesting though.

Perhaps a pre-release (about 2 weeks early) would provide the the same results without having to put a hold on the stats for those that don’t require a new shooting method for new versions.

The questions are:

1. – Is there a method of changing the zoom range so that 512 x 512 maps can be viewed in their entitity?

2. – Do the ramp settings effect the maximum viewing range?

3. – Is there a server side method available to change the default settings for those that log onto a server?

Thank you in advance for any help you may be able to provide.

Sincerely,

Rommel

AKA – El Kabong

Irishbandit
    Participant

@rommel wrote:

Although I know I’ve seen some posts on the ramp settings, searching the forum posts using the term ramp wasn’t helpful. It brought up 3 posts from Apollo Tangent and 1 from Viking but none of those were helpful. The post from Apollo Tangent asking for a 2 week hold on the stats (while he developed his “skills” for the new version) was interesting though.

Perhaps a pre-release (about 2 weeks early) would provide the the same results without having to put a hold on the stats for those that don’t require a new shooting method for new versions.

This one I can help you with, part of the dev team started providing an updated scorched exe before release for people wanting to test it.
    See here for 41 http://www.scorched3d.co.uk/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=4518&

For your other questions will have to wait for Thrax or some of the other modders to help. Biggest map I have done is 256 by 256.

I am still waiting for you to post a map under this topic http://www.scorched3d.co.uk/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=4671 😉

Thrax
    Participant

6 of the maps in Swars are 512x, 1 is 256×928, and the hanger is 256×384.

large maps themselves have only a little impact on the game’s
    drain, it’s what you put on them that slows it.

If you fill a 512x map with trees or city, it’ll naturally take more power
    than the same in a 256x.

However, like irish noted, Gavin had done a complete overhaul of the
    landscape rendering method, changing it from ROAM, to Geo-Mipmap.
    larger maps take less power than before, plus he intends to add more
    options for how to develope the Surround area.
    He’s also worked on the Boids movement, and is working on more
    efficient trees next.

I’ve let a few other of my regulars test a patch-pack I made up, but I
    also believe DS is considering the same for more of a test for the public.

The only sad part so far, is that there’s been only 3 dev’s other than Gavin that have been working regularly on this next step. Where is
    everybody these days!

Rommel
    Participant

Thank you both for the replies but they didn’t answer any of my questions. Here they are again:

1. – Is there a method of changing the zoom range so that 512 x 512 maps can be viewed in their entitity?

2. – Do the ramp settings effect the maximum viewing range?

3. – Is there a server side method available to change the default settings for those that log onto a server?

Thank you in advance for any help you may be able to provide.

Sincerely,

Rommel

AKA – El Kabong

Laptops Daddy
    Participant

i would love to see 512×512 (or higher) maps made the normal, with tank sizes and zoom adjusted to match the current scale. its something i mentioned to thrax before – higher resolution height maps. could really make a difference.

ps:
    noticed roam was gone in 42. cool

pps:
    rom, i think the answers no to all 3, but dont quote me.

Rommel
    Participant

Thanks LT. I think that the answer is most likely no to all three, due to the fact that I can’t find any documentation that indicates otherwise.@laptops Daddy wrote:

i would love to see 512×512 (or higher) maps made the normal, with tank sizes and zoom adjusted to match the current scale. its something i mentioned to thrax before – higher resolution height maps. could really make a difference.

ps:
    noticed roam was gone in 42. cool

pps:
    rom, i think the answers no to all 3, but dont quote me.

Specifically on question 3, if that was possible, then a server could overwrite the custom display settings that a user needs to get the game to run. This would not be a good idea unless, the server was only given the ability to downgrade the display options. Such as, if I could turn off the GL Shaders on remote machines, I could ensure that all players were fogged in equally on foggy maps. Requiring the users to make setting adjustments to play a mod, is most likely not a very good idea. This seems especially true when it comes to changing zoom ranges or any other setting not found in the interactive menus.

Hope to hog you soon,

Rommel

imported_gcamp
    Participant

ROAM actualy hid some of the landscape resolution as well. As far as I remember the actual landscape was drawn every 2 points on ROAMS max detail (so some points were skipped).

So because of this the landscape actually now looks twice as detailed on the new system. Also the drawing speed of the landscape is now at least twice as fast with everything on. More with less on.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.