This topic contains 6 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  dracon23 13 years, 9 months ago.

• Author

ymmotrojam
    Participant

I don’t know whether this is impractical or not or whether it has already been mentioned, but I was thinking why not have some sort of language translation? What I mean by this is that I want to talk to my spanish friends (I’m english only), and of course I don’t know spanish. The reason I bring this up is because I have seen other software for instant messaging programs that tap into the translation powers that Google uses, and one is able to translate a conversation in real-time.

The way this could work is that each client that connects could choose their language (in the program settings), and the server would communicate all these settings to all the other clients. So, in effect, when I say something in english, it gets translated to everyone else for their language. Let me put that in other words…

I talk…

Tom: Hello everyone

…my friends get that message in their own language…

Friend 1: (‘hello everyone’ in spanish)

Friend 2: (‘hello everyone’ in chinese)

…of course if people have chosen the same languages, it wouldn’t have to alter anything and therefore wouldn’t send useless translation requests. I know this may not sound like a huge improvement to this program, but I encounter various people constantly that I have to ask them to speak in english because I just do not understand them. Well, if it’s possible and practical, please let me know.

Deathstryker
    Participant

Who could we find that knows all these languages?

ymmotrojam
    Participant

That’s just it, we don’t need to. I have seen, like I mentioned above, other software that uses Google’s translation powers to translate those languages. It wouldn’t be necessary for human translators to be involved.

Anonymous
    Participant

You wouldn’t want to rely on those translation services such as Babelfish and such… while they do a good job in translating standing-alone terms, they do an absolutelly awful job when it comes to full sentences… they pay no regard to grammar rules, hence the poor sense one would make from the outcome. I’m brazilian and I have friends living in the States, and my wife would use it to chat with her friend there, I couldn’t but laugh at what I saw… 😀

Deathstryker
    Participant

I dunno, implementing that sounds like it would make the setup file size kinda large.

Cerwin
    Participant

Sounds quite impractical and hard to implement.

I mean.. if you use some already existing translator, I doubt it will translate slang and/or spoken form language as usually used in chats.

So only solution would be to create an internal translator-database, which would require a HUGE effort. Actually, if someone would do it, that someone would get very rich by selling just the database to different firms.

Therefore my message to the original poster would be; it’s never too late to learn a new language. 🙂

ymmotrojam
    Participant

I see what you guys mean. The piece of software I was referring to was actually a plugin for Trillian Pro. I think the plugin was under a mb, if that makes things any better… alright I give up 😆 … I know, it’s only scorched earth…

dracon23
    Participant

hey I want to add something

I speak fluent Tagalog (national language of the Philippines) and they have a lot of words that depend on pronunciation because they are spelt the same. I know one word that if you say it the wrong way you might get slapped by a pretty lady. If you pronounce it right it means friend (or lover [very erotic implication ❗ ] in the other meaning). So while a translator is a nice idea there could be some bad side effects! 😆

dracon23

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.