This topic contains 11 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  PeanutsRevenge 5 years, 3 months ago.

• Author

Anonymous

Just going to toss it as it’s been discussed in passing in various threads but I haven’t seen a full-on discussion or brainstorming for it.

With most analysts agreeing that we are moving towards a post-pc world, that desktops are dropping fast as flies after a few puffs of DDT, and that laptops are following suit not far behind, what’s the future of S3D?

I know there has been a project of someone using the source code and making it for IOS etc. but as far as I know that’s been vaporware.

Are there any way where perhaps the thing can be moved to a cloud based architecture where the “client” would be on the server as well and all that we would have on our end would be something like a shell or thin client, something a la Citrix? It would allow standard client for everyone and all that would be required really would be the right thin client on the various machines (IOS, Android, whatever flavor of *IX and Windows)

Any thoughts? Is that such a colossal effort, would this be the one silverbullet to reclaim a sizeable base of users that might have migrated to other ways to consume their games seeing as even consoles are feeling the pressure of phones and tablets?

Chopper
    Participant

I’ll give up my laptop when they pry it from my cold,dead fingers.

imported_gcamp
    Participant

Guess we’ll need to wait and see what app format wins. If it was on iPad or android it would probably help.

DireWolf
    Participant

@chopper wrote:

Word!

I will give up my PC and Laptop when they pry it from Chops cold, dead fingers! 😛

ArmorWraith
    Participant

@direwolf wrote:

@chopper wrote:

Word!

I will give up my PC and Laptop when they pry it from Chops cold, dead fingers! 😛

LaptopsDaddy gonna kick your arses you keep fingering his spawn without his permission.
    😆
    Armor

DireWolf
    Participant

@armorwraith wrote:

@direwolf wrote:

@chopper wrote:

Word!

LaptopsDaddy gonna kick your arses you keep fingering his spawn without his permission.
    😆
    Armor

Would that make us LapTop Molesters? 😕

Anonymous

@gcamp wrote:

Guess we’ll need to wait and see what app format wins. If it was on iPad or android it would probably help.

I don’t think one format is going to win over the other at this point, if that was the case, the java games wouldn’t exist anymore yet they still do (why? oh why?)

I think both IOS and Android are firmly rooted, it’s going to be a tug of ware but it will be just little pendulum swings for quite some time.

I’d guess that most people here are Win/Linux and fewer on Mac, thus Android should be of more immediate interest than IOS but who knows, there might be an unpillaged pile of bastids in the iWhatever camp just waiting 😉

PeanutsRevenge
    Participant

Indeed, iOS will eventually end up the same as OSX.

What’s tricky to predict is Windows Phone. They’re very late to market with a decent OS (if it turns out to be decent), but by many accounts it’s a good OS, it’s just a matter of whether they’re going to be able to keep Android from taking the 20% market share I see iOS losing in the next 7 years.

That’s the fight I see potentially developing, not iOS. Closed doesn’t work, they’ve already proven that themselves over the decades.

zombie
    Participant

Between Android and apple iphone , Android have upper hand. As iphone is ‘one pony cart’ and popular only in USA. But same way Blackberry were popular some 5-6 yrs ago. Window os is a dark horse with wibdow 8, tablet , mobile , pc will run same platform (well almost). Wait till this christmas season, we should be able to play scorched with Nokia tablet. Or may be with phone also. 🙂 . I have raised such hopes time to time as in present era of working, pc/ desktops / laptops r becoming redundent.

PeanutsRevenge
    Participant

@| Hayt | wrote:

I think both IOS and Android are firmly rooted, it’s going to be a tug of ware but it will be just little pendulum swings for quite some time.

Won’t be pendulum swings at all, as Apple invented and patented the pendulum and would therefore sue.

zombie
    Participant

😆

zombie
    Participant

just asking. Why everybody is dumping away flash player.

PeanutsRevenge
    Participant

@zombie wrote:

just asking. Why everybody is dumping away flash player.

Cos it’s a buggy, resource sucking, security holed POS.

It’s also not open.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.