This topic contains 15 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  PeanutsRevenge 5 years, 11 months ago.

• Author

PeanutsRevenge
    Participant

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9m8PYn6ARO8

Check out the idiot @ 5:40
    And the oooohhhhh, jizz in my pants @ 11:00

The rest of the vid is pretty interesting, if you find boring computer geek stuff interesting.

Shame they didn’t show the CPU voltage clearly on it, maybe @ a higher res than I use it can just be seen for a few frames..

Deathbal
    Participant

What exactly am I looking for? I saw a CPU PLL voltage control that said 2.500V

I seen another list of a bunch of voltage settings.

PeanutsRevenge
    Participant

@deathbal wrote:

What exactly am I looking for? I saw a CPU PLL voltage control that said 2.500V

I seen another list of a bunch of voltage settings.

CPU Vcore is the main one for what the cores are running at.

The main point of posting the video was the idiot pouring liquid nitrogen from canister to thermos type flask without gloves. One knock from someone and he’s lost his hand.
    the other point of posting… well, if you didn’t notice it then we have VERY different requirements for salivating 🙂

And get your ass back in the game db, you’re the only guy this series that’s beaten me thoroughly 100% of games played.

Laptops Daddy
    Participant

i heard liquid nitrogen isnt quite as dangerous as they make out on tv. health and safety etc. im pretty sure you can splash it around a bit with your fingers without any harm. youre talk about -200c.

guessing from my armless chair, but, burns from high temps are probably more damaging per temperature difference. hot pizza topping will give you a nasty burn if you leave it on your skin long enough, but it won’t take your hand off.

peanut, remember that oil pc in a fish tank? what would happen if you submersed the lot in liquid helium? just, put the whole thing in a bath of it. id want to try that.

is she on the gigabyte payroll, do you think? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=89hkmQKx9p4

ps:
    yes, what happened to deathbal?

PeanutsRevenge
    Participant

@laptops Daddy wrote:

i heard liquid nitrogen isnt quite as dangerous as they make out on tv. health and safety etc. im pretty sure you can splash it around a bit with your fingers without any harm. youre talk about -200c.

PLEASE tell me you’re joking, I can’t quite tell

@laptops Daddy wrote:

peanut, remember that oil pc in a fish tank? what would happen if you submersed the lot in liquid helium? just, put the whole thing in a bath of it. id want to try that.

I imagine that it’s either an electrical conductor or will make the materials too cold to conduct.
    Yes, some materials become super conductors @ very low temps where the electrical resistance drops to almost zero, but PC components are not made from those materials thankfully else PC would be rather pricey.

Laptops Daddy
    Participant

no, not joking. i dont think it’s any different to picking a roast potato out of the oven with cheffy fingers, throwing it from hand to hand until it cools. id be confident enough to test. i expect you could dip your fingers in liquid N for a split second without any trouble.

Anonymous

@laptops Daddy wrote:

id be confident enough to test. i expect you could dip your fingers in liquid N for a split second without any trouble.

not quite, unless you are actually talking femtoseconds, damage from cold is MUCH faster than damage from heat. Try plunging a leaf or something like that in N for just a saucing 😉

Laptops Daddy
    Participant

£5 says i could dip my hand in liquid nitrogen for a half second without any harm done. a leaf has a lot of surface area – id test with a warm carrot.

damage from cold is MUCH faster than damage from heat

that doesnt sound right to me. i expect latent heat comes into it. bet you steam from a boiler would hurt you more than a splash of liquid nitrogen.

my theory is this. damage done depends on the temperature difference between your skin and the stuff (probably : ), and the length of time youre exposed to it. when it’s a hot burn, say steam at 200c, the gas condenses, latent heat of fusion etc, nasty steam burn, and you still have scalding water on your skin. cold burn. latent heat of vaporisation, works against you as the liquid turns to gas, but once it has, it’s gone.

i bet Hyde911 knows.

Anonymous

Skin, or meat, doesn’t react to flames in the same way as it reacts to cold but you might be right, I just know that you can recover from burns, but not from frostbite. We need some subject matter experts here!

ArmorWraith
    Participant

Burning is actual incineration of the tissue. (adding energy)
    Frosbite is starvation of both heat and oxygen causing the tissue to die. (removing energy)

You can recover from some burns, not all. It leaves behind a scar tissue, the pink stuff.

Frostbite you generally lose the tissue/appendages ability to heal.

Armor

http://io9.com/5625863/you-can-safely-stick-your-hand-in-liquid-nitrogenbut-you-probably-shouldnt

Laptops Daddy
    Participant

thanks armor : ). nice link. that’s £10 im owed, i think.

PeanutsRevenge
    Participant

@laptops Daddy wrote:

thanks armor : ). nice link. that’s £10 im owed, i think.

Kinna keeping up with the convo, will look into it a bit 2moro, busy working atm.

Are you saying then that you wouldn’t wear gloves while pouring LN2 lappy?

Laptops Daddy
    Participant

@peanutsrevenge wrote:

im saying id flick it at you from across the desk, like the irresponsible lab partner that i am, just to see the look on your face. the detention would be worth it.

PeanutsRevenge
    Participant

@laptops Daddy wrote:

@peanutsrevenge wrote:

im saying id flick it at you from across the desk, like the irresponsible lab partner that i am, just to see the look on your face. the detention would be worth it.

Noooo, I had a best friend through school like that, got me in all kinds of ****, helped me ruin my life, don’t need another one now it’s already ruined.

PeanutsRevenge
    Participant

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=klLUM6x2jZI

Read the description aswell.

Was on Skype with Richie doing some work as was mentioning this topic, he said it might be ok for a half second, as just like running your hand through a flame, you’re protected for a (very) short period of time by the air around your hand, but reckoned that splashing LN2 on the skin would have a much quicker effect.

Still no Hyde tho, like you Lappy, I reckon he’s actually had plenty of fun with the stuff.

I know if I had access to plenty of it I’d rebuild my old 486SX25 and see if I could get it to run a 12v12 spring game 😀

EDIT:
    A video to explain why this happens

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.