This topic contains 62 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Deathbal 10 years, 11 months ago.

• Author

InductiveOne
    Participant

In testing weapons and levels I usualy get things right with wind set at 0 then set it to 4 to see how it drifts and stuff. In 0 wind I’ve found that, in most levels, you can hit just about any tank with the angle 65 or 70. What I ended up doing is becoming very familiar with those 2 angle’s range. I look from the side and guestimate the first shot. I do often get realy close to hitting the tank I’m aiming at (and often hit it dead on) first shot. I think I’m going to whip up a 1player only mini mod that is just target shooting, acualy, it might be multiplayer but somehow only target will be worth shooting (I have a plan). Those 2 angles (especialy 70 because of its high trajectory) are good angles to practice with. Just fire up a mod with a custom game, set wind to 0, and fight against 1 real good bot. Might want to set money realy realy low too so its almost all baby missiles or something. Only use that angle. Angle 70 is a good one to practice, so is angle 55 and 45 (for those long flat shots).

The thing is, I miss alot of shots because of hitting a tank dead on and bouncing the big ole bomb I shot away from the target. Sometimes its more important to miss a little bit then it is to shoot perfect. You can tell a player has been around for a bit when he/she bounces a bomb off your shield, then next shot places it just next to your shield.

Either way. I think it might be a neat idea to do a quick target practice mod, nothing fancy. I might whip something up in the next few days and see what people think. Like how grandfathers try to teach you how to flyfish with a bucket, a rod, a backyard, and some time. And oh, I acualy like the idea of getting rid of everything in the plan view, after seeing how picci did the radar in xmas mod I think I’m just going for a solid color. The only thing I use the plan view for is finding tanks that are somehow hidden’ish. Its always good to know where cbx is at all time (!)

Irishbandit
    Participant

This thread keeps getting the replies nice.

I agree to the above about the warp grid not being cheating i used it in version 38. i dont have it installed any more. Not because i dont like it or dont find it useful. When you learn to shoot wall shots and the like you dont need the grid any more (imo).

Any way i think it has been summed up pretty good thanks to all who replied to me by pm 😉 😉 .

See every one in game. You square counting hoggers!!! 😛 😛

Irishbandit
    Participant

@inductiveone wrote:

In testing weapons and levels I usualy get things right with wind set at 0 then set it to 4 to see how it drifts and stuff. In 0 wind I’ve found that, in most levels, you can hit just about any tank with the angle 65 or 70. What I ended up doing is becoming very familiar with those 2 angle’s range. I look from the side and guestimate the first shot. I do often get realy close to hitting the tank I’m aiming at (and often hit it dead on) first shot. I think I’m going to whip up a 1player only mini mod that is just target shooting, acualy, it might be multiplayer but somehow only target will be worth shooting (I have a plan). Those 2 angles (especialy 70 because of its high trajectory) are good angles to practice with. Just fire up a mod with a custom game, set wind to 0, and fight against 1 real good bot. Might want to set money realy realy low too so its almost all baby missiles or something. Only use that angle. Angle 70 is a good one to practice, so is angle 55 and 45 (for those long flat shots).

The thing is, I miss alot of shots because of hitting a tank dead on and bouncing the big ole bomb I shot away from the target. Sometimes its more important to miss a little bit then it is to shoot perfect. You can tell a player has been around for a bit when he/she bounces a bomb off your shield, then next shot places it just next to your shield.

Either way. I think it might be a neat idea to do a quick target practice mod, nothing fancy. I might whip something up in the next few days and see what people think. Like how grandfathers try to teach you how to flyfish with a bucket, a rod, a backyard, and some time. And oh, I acualy like the idea of getting rid of everything in the plan view, after seeing how picci did the radar in xmas mod I think I’m just going for a solid color. The only thing I use the plan view for is finding tanks that are somehow hidden’ish. Its always good to know where cbx is at all time (!)

Try putting in closer tanks angles in the range of 80-88 are really fun!!!

NP-TheOutlaw
    Participant

Is this cheating? sorry, but I’m not here to discuss cheating.
    but rather, I just felt like voicing my opinion.

– – – – –

the laid back person in me says:
    I have never cared to know who uses the grid or not
    nor does it bother me one way or the other.

– – – – –

the sensible side in me says:
    this is just a game, and all games have rules. And as long as the rules
    & available features are the same for everyone, then by all means…….Play On!
    & shaddap!

– – – – –

the competitive side of me says:
    Laptop’s chess analogy has swayed me to say the following:
    On some level Scorch is a competitive game, with everyone trying
    to carve out a tiny piece of scorch fame in the form of skill, rank, kills,
    status, kill ratio, resigns, self kills etc……
    If it wasn’t, I’m sure we might not be discussing such matters.

Taking into account fairness, universal playing conditions for all,
    and the desire to play the game to the best of your ability without feeling
    others may have an upper hand on you.

I am making a suggestion to have the following game-setting conditions implemented on
    the 3 official servers (Main, Beginners, Teams):

1. No Control G feature
    2. No Control H feature
    3. No Landscape OFF command from the console
    4. No Water OFF command from the console

what would we have left after this?
    A very beautiful and pleasing to the eye masterpiece of a game
    played by a lot of incredible people from all over the world.
    It’s probably the way the game was intended to be played
    (probably over 90% of all players play this way)

Oh &
    5. Somehow make the mini-map un-gridable
    6. did I forget any other ingenious console commands?

LOL, its fun to dream aint it.

– – – – –

grid users – please don’t take offense at my suggestions above as they are in no way an attack on your craft

if I were given the choice of getting rid of the grid and possibly losing quality players
    Or
    keeping the grid and keeping them as part of the diverse playing styles in scorch
    I’d take the latter

I say this because I’ve never been convinced one way or the other
    if the grid is as sinister as people make it out to be.

For starters, if the use of the grid was that easy,
    I would expect 20-30 players with a kill ratio over 40%
    we don’t see this.

Top 25 “Main” *kill ratio*

Top 25 “beginners” *kill ratio*

to summarize:

1. lets compromise and find a set of in game-features that can serve as the accepted
    universal game settings for all. In addition to the ones I stated above,
    it might also include shortening the shot clock too.

2. Gavin spoils all of us with lots of cool and new features, then later
    we complain about them once someone finds a unique way of using it to their advantage. So Beware, the next time you request some new feature.

jdog
    Participant

@inductiveone wrote:

Have you been studing my shooting style? Crazy, up and over the hill shots seem to be what I can hit the best. Dire has a vid or 2 with my unique shots up close.

cbx550f
    Participant

@np-theoutlaw wrote:

Is this cheating? sorry, but I’m not here to discuss cheating.
    but rather, I just felt like voicing my opinion.

And I like, and agree with your feeling on this. 🙂

I am making a suggestion to have the following game-setting conditions implemented on
    the 3 official servers (Main, Beginners, Teams):

1. No Control G feature
    2. No Control H feature
    3. No Landscape OFF command from the console
    4. No Water OFF command from the console

what would we have left after this?
    A very beautiful and pleasing to the eye masterpiece of a game
    played by a lot of incredible people from all over the world.
    It’s probably the way the game was intended to be played
    (probably over 90% of all players play this way)

Oh &
    5. Somehow make the mini-map un-gridable
    6. did I forget any other ingenious console commands?

LOL, its fun to dream aint it.

Yes, it is. 😉
    Unfortunately, any of these things could be easily defeated by modifying the client.
    Also, WRT the “No water OFF” – that would make the game unplayable on my laptop or on my kids’ PC, and I’m sure on many other’s as well. (The old Voodoo Banshee on the kids’ PC does not work with water on, and it’s WAY too slow on the laptop with water on)

if I were given the choice of getting rid of the grid and possibly losing quality players
    Or
    keeping the grid and keeping them as part of the diverse playing styles in scorch
    I’d take the latter

I’ll drink to that. Although, I may have to question why someone would leave just because of losing that. 😉

I say this because I’ve never been convinced one way or the other
    if the grid is as sinister as people make it out to be.

For starters, if the use of the grid was that easy,
    I would expect 20-30 players with a kill ratio over 40%
    we don’t see this.

Agreed. 🙂

I’m surpised about one thing: I haven’t heard anyone request that the feature be removed from the game.
    I have to say that if it were, I’d add it back into a client here – it’s useful for modding. (For getting placements right etc)

BOY
    Participant

I would not have a problem with removal of special grids and aiming feautres like turning off landscape. (which is really just a graphics feature) but hey, either way, I’ll still be blowing peeps up like I used to.

Irishbandit
    Participant

@boy wrote:

I would not have a problem with removal of special grids and aiming feautres like turning off landscape. (which is really just a graphics feature) but hey, either way, I’ll still be blowing peeps up like I used to.

Nice post by the way boy.
    I agree but why change it so that others cant share in the same fun like they used to?? I mean if it aint broke why fix it?? Its a feature not a bug!!!

Laptops Daddy
    Participant

I hate going round in circles.

@boy wrote:

I believe one method is to enlarge the plan map and use a ruler to measure the distance, compare to a table of distances and vavoom!

Lappy, would you mind posting those bmp’s in file form, it will make a very nice optional warp grid.

If you really must cheat, then here, have several. Maybe you’d also like the spreadsheet of power, distance, squares I made when I was researching the idea. (You can’t have it, I’m being sarcastic).

===============
    edit: i’ve just realised one of the bitmaps i uploaded wasn’t in 24bit rgb and wouldn’t have worked. 8 O i’m SO ashamed : ( i should have uploaded screenshots too. (it’s still cheating).
    ===============

It’s very tempting to sign on to the beginners server with a new ID and a grid, then come back in a weeks time with 80% kill ratio, but I can’t be bothered. (Also, there’d be arguments over whether it was due to the cheating, or my superior Scorched playing ability).

I knew a lot of people used these grids, but I didn’t realise quite how many. I’m starting to feel a bit silly for not using one myself.

Anyway…

To anyone who happens to celebrate Xmas, Seasons Greetings : ) *Chinese bow*

Ps:
    Hey Boy, did u really make a grid in MS Paint? That’s like mowing a football pitch with scissors.

If you want to enlarge your cheating grid, edit windows.xml in /data. Look for “Plan” and change it and its widgets w and h to 256 (or whatever). You’d also want to change x and y to say –128.

EDIT: Two grid files/images were removed indefinitely by BOY due to comunity concern.

InductiveOne
    Participant

It’s very tempting to sign on to the beginners server with a new ID and a grid, then come back in a weeks time with 80% kill ratio, but I can’t be bothered. (Also, there’d be arguments over whether it was due to the cheating, or my superior Scorched playing ability).

I dont think there would be any argument about that. 🙂

And realy, I think you should give it a try. I am still well in the ‘dont think it makes the hugest diffrence in the world’ camp. I’d be very interested in know how much diffrence it acualy makes. Either way though, I dont feel like using math while playing, so I hope it doesn’t make you infinitly better.

Happy Merry Good Xmas btw, and I hope to start getting stomped on the now running xmas tourny later tonight and in the days following.

BOY
    Participant

@laptops Daddy wrote:

I knew a lot of people used these grids, but I didn’t realise quite how many.

I suspect there really are not that many “users”. I for one, just have the grid for looks, it helps me in no way other than locating tanks. The squares are few and the plan is small anyways.

As to your cheating grids…. We shall see how many downloads they get. 😕

I’m starting to feel a bit silly for not using one myself.

Why? Then where would your pride be? I very briefly considered generating a table for no wind shots once, then i realized — I’m too lazy, have too much fun the normal way, and am way to irritated with the “counters” to ever want to go there. The game wasn’t mean to be played that way, IMO, but I still won’t call it cheating. I’ve made my peace with it.

I notice you suggested a different poll option when the poll didn’t go your way. *Ahem* Told ya!

Ps:
    Hey Boy, did u really make a grid in MS Paint? That’s like mowing a football pitch with scissors.

I’m afraid I did. I use ms paint for occasional avatar and icon editing. Now and then, for lack of any usful drawing program, I use it for other little things. My grid remake took me a while partly becuz I didn’t understand the transparency of the files. But, yeah, I’m a numbskull when it comes to photo editing and such.

Picci
    Participant

it cannot be considered cheating,
    as many players were doing it long b4 most of us knew scorched3d existed.
    that’s all.

bye,
    Picci

btw, 2 days ago it didn;t have any downloads…now it has one… wonder who’s the man 2 lazy to “save image as” or make their own to have to click on download….

JiNx
    Participant

np nice avatar
    would you mind if i borowed it?

NP-TheOutlaw
    Participant

@jinx wrote:

np nice avatar
    would you mind if i borowed it?

OFFTOPIC/

thanks mate…

its pretty public now, so I cant really stop anyone from
    using it. so long as its a “true bastage” ya’ know who u r
    then NP

PM me dawg & I’ll see what I can whip out

OFFTOPIC/

JiNx
    Participant

gives np the biggest hug around nice one m8

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 64 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.