This topic contains 72 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  BOY 5 years, 6 months ago.

• Author

DireWolf
    Participant

@laptops Daddy wrote:

they took his inventory

THEY TOOK MY INVENTORY!
    But they cannot take away my lack of pride!

Chopper
    Participant

DW, luv ya to death for your past contributions….And excited to see you back playing. Begginners from time to time will reset when someone new joins and knocks a bot out. And I mean reset to round one.

Its happened to me,Peanut and most everyone here. Wish you had said something to me (I’m still one of the admins here) and I could have cleared it up instead of thinking otherwise.

On the plus side, the games quite nice and building back player base.
    AW has been a hUGE part of this…he’s helped Gavin alot and his abilities blow my mind for someone so young.

Computers are a piece of cake for him…
    women on the other hand…. #-o …

Cheers my friend….how did the film come out?

DireWolf
    Participant

I woke up this morning, and my cupboards were empty!
    Someone stole my inventory! Again!!!!!
    O wait……. they were empty when I went to bed 😯
    Time to go shopping again!

After playing on AW’s server last night, and seeing what he has done with it, I have to say I was rather impressed, ok very impressed.

I came up with this thought, I am gonna throw it out there because I can!
    People have said because we dont have enough players that we should only have 2 servers! I believe different, look at the Call of Duty game, there are many modes of play to suit many different tastes of gameplayers, take all those away and leave only one or two modes of play and a good amount players would most likely be looking for another game out of boredom.
    That said…. just bear with me, I believe the same of Scorched 3D, If I was a new player here, I would probably only play AW’s mod and not on the official servers, because it is very pretty and seems more modern, but I am not a new player here, I love MCB, I love the main Server, Teams were awesome, I do miss Apoc “by the way… what happened to Bobirov?”
    But the only official servers are main and Noob, “No offence to noobs intended I was one once” Noobs has bots and draws more players from what I see than main!
    Not good! This seems bad for the official servers, This is the opinion of and old player and a short time half assed admin at one time.
    So I know you all are saying “But Dire! what can we do about it?” lmao “Shut up and let me dream”
    Seriously though, IMHO I think it should be considered offering more modes of play, after seeing AW’s mod I was convinced! I am the type of player who is always gonna support the official game first, well……
    It is time for a change and some new blood obviously, I think it would be a good idea to add Aw’s mod to the official servers, and also Apoc!
    You cant satisfy the masses with just one type of doughnut!
    What I would like to see, and again these are just suggestions.
    1.Main server
    2.Teams server
    3.AW’s Mod go to the official servers
    4.Apoc server
    and maybe just a single bot in main.
    I would rather see an array of modes of play, to give players more options of gameplay, Thus keeping more players on the official servers, this I think is very important, apparently Call of Duty and other games have thought the same for their games.
    I hope this will be considered.

OK….. now for the most important thing…. to me anyway…..
    is it possible to bring back rollers that you can drop from the roof again, I am serious about this, for me I honestly had more fun dropping rollers on someones head in the caves than a kitten with a ball of yarn! and that takes some skill to drop em on someones head, it is not like it would be an easy kill, in fact it left me more vulnerable, but it was worth it for the fun factor!

And one more questionsuggestion is it possible that after you have made your shot calculation and have hit the spacebar, that the HUD turns off while the weapons are firing? so you can see the action unobscured. Just a thought!

Thank you Chop, that is good to know! and yes the clip of us came out perfect!

Edit…. Wow another awkward moment, I am using a crappy pair of glasses and cannot see as good as I used to, in fact when I started playing here I did not need glasses at all, I just noticed that AW’s server is official! Boy do I feel dumb, slap a dress on me and call me Nancy!
    I cannot wait to get my glasses back!

Chopper
    Participant

Just pick one…….any one and PLAY… :D/

DireWolf
    Participant

[attachment=0:1g473avx]Twitter3D.PNG[/attachment:1g473avx]

A Scorched 3D Twitter account is now made and will be linked to the Scorched 3D Facebook page, both being linked to a Scorched 3D GMail account!
    s c o r c h e d 3 d 2 0 1 2 @ g m a i l . c o m without the spaces.

So. if everything works the way I understand we should be able to post from Twitter and it will automatically be sent to Facebook followers of Scorched, and post to Twitter at the same time, I cannot guarantee this will help bring more players, I hope my daily tweets to different forums might help, but it would be a good tool if used by more than one admin to help keep in touch with old and new players about new version updates, new mods, tournaments and any official Scorched 3D news.
    and a better way for players to keep and stay in touch.

an Email was required so I figured I would wrap it all up in a tidy package to catch both accounts.
    Once I get everything the way it should be I will be giving the passwords and acct info to the admins in hope that it will be used, I would like to keep access myself to keep a daily tweet to the Twitter world in different forums and an occasional Scorched Video link, I will only solicit one tweet a day for the game from the Twitter account so as not to flood anyone who will follow on Facebook, that would be irratating!

PeanutsRevenge
    Participant

Once a day posting is WAY ott IMO. Once a week is entirely sufficient, I myself have deleted friends from facebook for posting more than once a day and that’s, as far as they’re concerned, relevant information, from a game, it’s just spam, there’s nothing to say daily.

AWE is an ‘official’ mod (it comes in the download), didn’t know whether it was hosted from the main server, I’d not look, the mod’s too complicated for me.

As for getting new players and old players to join, I’m rather bemused as to why you two seem to assume everyone here’s sat on their arses not bothering to do anything.
    Had I been returning after a few years away, I’d first be asking what was being done and whether there was anything I could do to help, rather than come up with a bunch of ideas and pushing some of them through myself.

Personally, I have done little to impact the game so far, bar a few ideas, but some members have worked damn hard while you guys have been away (new and nice, mod, new website design with new features, new features and smoothness to the game, facebook app in progress).
    if I was those guys that were doing that work, I’d be pretty miffed at you two right now, waltzing in like you’re to be the saviours.

Can we have a little more discussion about things before jumping in. it’s hard I’ll grant you given the few active players on this forum, but an attempt would be appreciated from this corner.

PeanutsRevenge
    Participant

To pull this back into a constructive thread:

Could any ideas that people have be posted into the ‘game server discussion’ thread and constructed in a way that the idea could be discussed and, where appropriate be voted on, so that the admins then have clear things to discuss and look to impliment rather than a bunch of random things occasionally being discussed in the same thread.

Being partly self promoting, may I draw your attention to a few points that I’ve picked up on and looked to address previously, unfortunately the new series started before a consensus could be discerned.
    Skill
    Weapon price balancing
    Delayed Defense

DireWolf
    Participant

@peanutsrevenge wrote:

Once a day posting is WAY ott IMO. Once a week is entirely sufficient, I myself have deleted friends from facebook for posting more than once a day and that’s, as far as they’re concerned, relevant information, from a game, it’s just spam, there’s nothing to say daily.

AWE is an ‘official’ mod (it comes in the download), didn’t know whether it was hosted from the main server, I’d not look, the mod’s too complicated for me.

As for getting new players and old players to join, I’m rather bemused as to why you two seem to assume everyone here’s sat on their arses not bothering to do anything.
    Had I been returning after a few years away, I’d first be asking what was being done and whether there was anything I could do to help, rather than come up with a bunch of ideas and pushing some of them through myself.

Personally, I have done little to impact the game so far, bar a few ideas, but some members have worked damn hard while you guys have been away (new and nice, mod, new website design with new features, new features and smoothness to the game, facebook app in progress).
    if I was those guys that were doing that work, I’d be pretty miffed at you two right now, waltzing in like you’re to be the saviours.

Can we have a little more discussion about things before jumping in. it’s hard I’ll grant you given the few active players on this forum, but an attempt would be appreciated from this corner.

I never put down any admin or hinted that anyone was not doing their job as admin, so to make me look like I am putting anyone down is pretty lame, I have made suggestions, that is it, I even asked in the forums about doing this, I cant help if you are intolerant when it comes to people posting too many times on your facebook account, all you had to say is, Gee Dire, That might be too often to post.
    That is all!
    I talked about doing this in the forums and I was not told no, I even said I would stop and delete it if anyone is against it, nobody asked me to stop!
    All I was trying to to was suggest ideas, I also said I would not be upset if they were not used, I was using the forum as a forum is used!
    I like this game and want to play, but that is kind of hard when the servers are empty! So I tried to help, if the help was not wanted you should have said something then!
    I know that I probably would have been playing alot more hearing about all the nice things done to the game and the website, I am sure others would have checked in more often also, had we gotten a Facebook message, as it was, anytime I looked for a game alas the servers were empty!
    Boy updated status on Facebook and I have seen a few people that used to play, a few more is better than a few less!
    Again, all you had to do was ask me to stop!
    If I offended any admin here I do appologize now, But Peanut you did not have to come at me like that, it was undeserved.

Chopper
    Participant

I tend to agree with Peanut, we’re glad you’re back to play…but let’s play. Don’t worry about the other stuff.

Face book is neat and but I ask did you come back because you missed the game or because of some social media deal.

The best contribution you could make would be to show up regulary and blast some tanks. especially Peanuts… :mrgreen:

DireWolf
    Participant

I will scrap it all and again say I am sorry if I offended anyone, it was with good intentions.
    if I post again I will make sure it is in the appropriate forum.

PeanutsRevenge
    Participant

Hey, hang on there. You asked if anyone had an issue with you setting up a facebook fan page and twitter account. There was no disagreement.

You then said you were gonna post daily on twitter, I disagreed and gave reason for my disagreement.
    Don’t start taking that as me having a go about setting up facebook. I have voiced my concerns in a timely manner.

I read it like you’re back thanks for Boy and his efforts, he set that page up 2 years ago and left it to do nothing for 18 months when those that were active could have been posting things on a page they had access too.

ArmorWraith
    Participant

Im sorry DireWolf your poking a very sore area for some of the remaining older players.

While you were gone some radical changes took place in a fairly short amount of time, costing us players, and effort in some cases. Some changes werent popular and to be blunt; alot of the older players feel abit smacked in the face, making them more hesitant than ever to try ideas that can be considered radical now that theyve just worked alot of the server issues out.

The conflict here now is not how we can improve the game, it is how we can attract and maintain players. There is only one answer to this and it is very simple, it is simply play. The tweaks will come when there are more players to help ascertain their necessity. People do not come here because of ground breaking graphics or fancy website…. the games history proves this, people come here for the social interaction.

Any successful game you can think of would not be fun without other people to play with and against. Communication is the key. Its really the underlying network beneath modern mmorpgs.

Which is why I encourage any member of the scorched community to long consider creating any sort of negative social atmosphere, we scare people off when we do that. A bit of respect, understanding, and paitence will go a long way. If you have a problem, take it with a grain of salt, perhaps all is not as it appears. And if that fails, well kill em first every round, but to do that you need to play.

Now DireWolf.
    I believe you were handling the situation with social media very well, and I would encourage you to endeavor in that pursuit. The key to success with advertising is saturation to the point that it is not annoying or overwhelming. I think once a week would suffice for announcments, with additional event announcments appearing when they are pertinent. As for the official admin stance on you supporting the game with this, I can assure you none of us wishes you to give up the support for the game and community that we so dearly need. Some admins are less excitable than others, I would suggest you contact one of us with questions as to what is being/been done before suggesting more stuff. (It saves me a lot of trouble when I dont have to read through the same ideas/ stuff that has already been done several times by four different people.)

I am glad that you are willing to help the game and support it daily with your skills and talents. I would encourage you to pursue your strengths, I hear you are quite the camera man and would love to see some new videos of our community. Perhaps you could even chat with Lappy about including a video gallery linked from a scorched youtube account into the website? Ill leave that to your ponderance, it is not my area of expertise.

Now to catch you up on the development end:

Concerning the current situations that we are faced with, we need to focus on 3 main areas before ever adressing the amount of servers :

1) Skill Calculation needs to be fixed or redone entirely.
    2) We need to create a more dynamic economy, the current does not suffice.
    3) We need to tweak the way current AI affect the aforementioned.

Without this fundamental base we are wasting our breath and time when suggesting new changes considering servers ect. The biggest thing anyone can do for the community right now is play regularly in any server. Any player playing any mode of scorched is supporting the game, and ensuring that it will never die. Ideas take new forms over the course of time, and scorched is not exempt from that fact. You will always find people that will enjoy the classic version of any game, when more players are maintained that number will grow exponentially. In times of player scarcity, you just have to adapt. If you see someone playing in a mod server, join them. Even if you hate it. Chances are that they will be apt to come find you when there is no one in the mod servers to play on main.

Remember we are trying to attract players, not force them into modes they wont enjoy. The more we attract and maintain, the more there will be to play in different servers. Its only natural. So once again, the only way to maintain new players is to play. It may involve a bit of teeth grinding, failure, and learning/adapting, but perhaps you will be able to coerce them to join a game of your choice every now and then. Be friendly, help them learn, make it an enjoyable experience, and I promise. Not only will you garner more players, but comrades alike!

If you build it they will come, so build a base of regular players, and you will find more will come.

The changes and tweaks can come later, because people will never run out of ideas, just people to enact them. As for right now, the game can be enjoyable and facillitate a social enviroment, keep it that way. Play regularly. Before making new suggestions, ask a current player if its been done. If not, pop it in the bug tracker for the devs and admins to review.

The bug tracker can be found here:
    http://www.scorched3d.co.uk/mantisbt/my_view_page.php

Devs and Admins have the best interest and experience of the game at heart to guide them and they will surely give new suggestions their due attention respectively. Im not saying their never wrong, but I have yet to find a situation they have failed to remedy and adress.

Its a good group here, and I have yet to find someone unwilling to open the arena to new ideas. The fact of the matter is currently, the best thing any community member can do right now is:

PLAY

Armor

PeanutsRevenge
    Participant

I agree with Romm… uh, kanga …. no, ah, got it… AW.

Laptops Daddy
    Participant

yes, more like that ^.

we need to work in some controversial religious views and a small amount casual racism.

if there’s anyone with some african heritage, or possibly middle eastern who fancies presenting themselves as an angry black ‘man, very insulted, that’d be perfect. sexism would do in a pinch. we dont have enough women on here (peanut doesnt count). note that i just used a gender reference as an insult. if youre a woman, you probably have something to say about that.

social likes and links back to the site are good, but the best thing we can do is have lots of active site content that’s interesting and worth linking to, because you have to. ‘look at this’, ‘i know – i saw’. (like that). good or bad. this forum is one of the biggest assets we have. more site traffic means more game exposure.

since i was mentioned…

Perhaps you could even chat with Lappy about including a video gallery linked from a scorched youtube account into the website? Ill leave that to your ponderance, it is not my area of expertise.

direwolf, it’s your game videos that started me off making my own -let’s not mix up the order. if you can come up with a home page vid to replace my effort, that would suit me very nicely. do chat to me about it if you need to. go careful with the music would be my only suggestion – check the copyright.

…some members have worked damn hard while you guys have been away (new and nice, mod, new website design with new features, new features and smoothness to the game, facebook app in progress).

i dont know if that was a rant on my behalf. im not miffed in the least.

we do need to communicate and combine our efforts – the more people involved the better. go careful with spam. we need to avoid what some people call “negative seo”. that is, modern googles have very clever systems that detect artificial exposure and penalise for it (e.g. backlinks on unrelated forums – dont do that).

personally, i dont need recognition – im not an admin. i have enough websites to be responsible for already. i would like it known, though – those sharing buttons, for example, that’s not some drop-in plugin. i exaggerated the difficulty, but that is pro web dev work and the kind of thing id usually charge quite a lot of money for. i start with this http://jsfiddle.net/, i make the icons, i end up with this: http://xlo.co/blog/web-development/custom-social-buttons (not the other way around : )

it wouldnt hurt to comment on whether it looks ok, you bastards viewtopic.php?f=2&t=6620&p=65391#p65391 : )

keep up the good work. armour – nice red text. we need more of that, looks lovely on a grey background.

they took his inventory

ps:
    it is working. these are some stats showing game server connects:

april 2009: 4736
    april 2010: 1744 (mournful – > half lost in a year)
    april 2011: 1213 (sinking fast)
    the new website went live in june, (july, august and september were the worst months we’ve ever had, dropping under 1000 in sept)
    april 2012: 1718

the stats dropped off a cliff in january 2010 going from 3511 to 1896 in one month, i think following this viewtopic.php?f=2&t=5958 and this viewtopic.php?f=8&t=5997

no one is to blame for that, despite the title. if were were relying on the same core of players, the only way was down. it was for the best. if we’re coming back with a steady flow of new people, and old, we’re sustainable. we needed that kick in the pants.

Chopper
    Participant

aW is wise beyond his years…………but sure took alot of words to say ….just pick a server and PLAY dingdangnabbit!

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 74 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.