This topic contains 72 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  BOY 5 years, 6 months ago.

• Author

BOY
    Participant

This could be just an old gripe, or perhaps a old idea made new again.

As we sort of make an effort to make scorched less socially awkward, here are some of the things that I think might make things fun again.

Activity is too low right now, that said, how can we get the activity back up to were it was? Scorched is better than it was then, but people are not staying around.

I remember that back in the day, there was one main gathering server, a year or two went by and that server got active enough that it was actually hard to get in there during prime time. Games would last over an hour regularly with the pros dodging each other, waiting dead was excruciating!

Well, new players didn’t like that set-up, so the admins decided that a Beginners server was needed. This was sensible.

The beginners server soaked up most of the new players, who actually had a really good time there, but they did not seem to want to move over to the “main” server to play with the veterans as much as we expected. Some veterans, likewise, did not like playing the beginners server or the bots, it simply wasn’t a challenge to them. Two subcommunities developed.

As veterans “retired” no one replaced them, and the beginners server began to be more like the main server. An uncomfortable family feud broke out, and there raged a long debate about how to best help the beginners and veterans alike to enjoy the same game, and increase activity and enjoyment.

None of the solutions seemed to work, and sadly, the hard core players and admins became divided about what to do. There was a total lack of consensus, and no progress lead to less and less activity. (True, many other things were out there competing for attention as well)

So, here is the main point, what can we do to just go back to the beginning?

I’d like to see just one server, and eliminate the Beginner server. It was a good idea, but it worked out poorly. It is no longer serving any purpose. If we can get a few veterans and a few beginners every day to play in one server, eventually those lovable bastages just might help breed the next years’ top players.

If things ever do get to the point where the “main” server is too busy, then my vote will be to focus more on a team server. Team games are where it is at! FFA will always have its place here, because that is what we are money hoarding bastages! But this game is not easy to pick up, it takes more thought, it is like a golf game where the object is to hit your friends with the golf ball, and extra points if you can put something stinky on it.

Hi Gavin!

ArmorWraith
    Participant

:-k hmm a golfball mod.. with peanut butter golfballs, stinkbait, and honey…

this could be interesting.

Armor

PeanutsRevenge
    Participant

I think the two servers is the better way IF we can get a few vets back.

I’ve played with many newbs these past couple of months and although I mostly play MCB against them and AIF, they still get frustrated with my skill and their lack thereof.
    Grant, it takes some dedication in this game, gotta love it to put the time in to be able to compete, but I think the massive difference between new and pro is scaring too many off.

Leaving as two servers, the newbs get to play eachother and learn the game with pros occasionally popping in to lend a hand, leaving the main server for the pros to fight it out.

I think the ‘spectator’ function will help here too as newbs will be able to watch the pros and pros can help newbs without being a scary threat!

The biggest problem we have is the lack of activity. There’s just noone playing, I’m sure we’re losing many new players a month as they get bored of bots and empty servers, so move on.

Newb server should be set up for such players and main set for the pros.
    Moves decreased on newb server
    Moves increased on main server.

Price tweaks so things are cheaper on newbs than pro with money per round increased on newbs as well.

ArmorWraith
    Participant

Gotta have players first. *yawn*
    ](*,)
    Armor

Chopper
    Participant

I go back aways….I got my 50 and moved up to main, Mandy had the patience to herd the newbs and its great she’s back.

But I tell ya Teams was a great place to mix newbs and more experienced players. The games tended to be faster and more competitive. Mixing new and old players built confidence and comaraderie (sp). it was great to team with your friends, then move over to main for one on one.

And tHAT my Bastages means fUN….and thats what brings players.

A fun, uncomplicated fast paced game. The game was the great fun and it was pretty popular.

Please we’re building again……………..DON’T scroo with it.

PeanutsRevenge
    Participant

@chopper wrote:

I go back aways….I got my 50 and moved up to main, Mandy had the patience to herd the newbs and its great she’s back.

But I tell ya Teams was a great place to mix newbs and more experienced players. The games tended to be faster and more competitive. Mixing new and old players built confidence and comaraderie (sp). it was great to team with your friends, then move over to main for one on one.

And tHAT my Bastages means fUN….and thats what brings players.

A fun, uncomplicated fast paced game. The game was the great fun and it was pretty popular.

Please we’re building again……………..DON’T scroo with it.

/Signed

DireWolf
    Participant

I have an idea that might please everyone……. Maybe, maybe not.

Turn the Beginners Server into a teams server with bots to cover times when there are no players present, and remove the 50 kill minimum to get on main, just my opinion, but it is an opinion! =P~

Dire*soup*Wolf

ArmorWraith
    Participant

Few small bugs with teams still isnt there? Dont bots kill players on their own team? I remeber there was a technical reason for switching back to normal style at one point.. though I could be mistaken. :-k

Armor

BOY
    Participant

Wait, there is still a 50 kill requirement???!!!

Besides that, yes, a teams server is a much better learning environment, and the pace is faster.

As it is, the Beginners server is nearly a copy of the other server. If it was truly for beginners I feel it aught to be tailored that way, with easier, permanent bots, fixed prices, easy maps, shorter games, and such…… It should be intended to “hook” you on the mechanics of the game all while you learn.

DireWolf
    Participant

@armorwraith wrote:

Few small bugs with teams still isnt there? Dont bots kill players on their own team? I remeber there was a technical reason for switching back to normal style at one point.. though I could be mistaken. :-k

Armor

If we only used one bot that drops out after a second player joins might work.
    I also think the same could be done on the main server [-X 😯 *gasp!*
    I know I would be more apt to wait around for real players if there was only 1 bot to keep me company, without all the Noob tips! It would be a change for the better if you actually consider it.

Just my opinion
    Soup.

ArmorWraith
    Participant

@direwolf wrote:

If we only used one bot that drops out after a second player joins might work.
    I also think the same could be done on the main server [-X 😯 *gasp!*
    I know I would be more apt to wait around for real players if there was only 1 bot to keep me company, without all the Noob tips! It would be a change for the better if you actually consider it.
    Just my opinion
    Soup.

We have considered this, but three things would be needed to be tweaked for bot options.

1) Bot does not give or collect skill
    2) Bot does not sway economy
    3) No kill count for killing bots, or being killed by them.

It would be more of a ghost/practice bot instead of interfereing with stats and such.

Armor

DireWolf
    Participant

I dont know much about the settings and such, but….. is there an option that can automatically start a new game trigger’ed by the exit of the bot?
    If something like that could be implemented on the main and a team server, it would be a much better option the the present, maybe set the team server for MCB only, that would offer 2 styles of gameplay to new players and old, and bring players back into main also, I also like the Boy’s idea for a beginners server, it would not be a bad idea for 3 servers, that is 3 options of play, Training, Good ol Scorched! and MCB teams for for the more advanced Old school Scorchers. with no tips on MCB Teams or Main.

Soup.

ArmorWraith
    Participant

We just dont have the player capacity at the moment. The less servers we have, the more likely people will gather in one and stay, which in turn will attract more players. Just a thought.

Armor

DireWolf
    Participant

Build it and they will come……..

we can do 2 servers and when…… our player base starts to grow again we can add a beginners server, for the slower learners, but like I said I stopped coming here because of having to play in the noob server when there were no players, part of getting and keeping players is making it enjoyable, Main with Old school rules and teams with MCB rules and one bot each would help keep players in the Scorched 3D servers, if old established players get bored with the official servers they go to the mods, which is not a bad thing, but the main point is to get and keep players on the official servers, without the official servers there would be no mods, so part of keeping the player base is making the players happy and keeping the official servers with players in them is important and foremost. this should be brought up for a vote, obviously the way it is now is not working.

I personally would love to see a single bot in the main server for the time being.

Soup.

PeanutsRevenge
    Participant

Teams MCB?

You’d completely lose the great part of teams…. working together. Closest digs, furthest rolls!

AWs points about bot are pretty important. They’ve been quite frustrating recently.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 74 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.