This topic contains 25 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  PeanutsRevenge 6 years, 7 months ago.

  • Author
    Posts
  • #6271

    Deathbal
    Participant

    After seeing some screenshots, I am curious as to how, and what settings people use to play the game.

    All I do is use the old sight position, point, right click and spin. I often use camera angle 4 for snipe shots. But otherwise it’s on “free” camera. I have no little camera boxes anywhere. There is no need. The only time i hit the right ALT key is to see the landscape under water. Usually for roller purposes. Otherwise, not even that.

    What do other people use? And what’s with the little camera boxes?

    #49247

    Irishbandit
    Participant

    I use free camera only never could get the hang of camera 4 for snipping sorry. Have I mentioned I miss ctrl+g 😆 😆 .
    Old sight position FTW. The same right click and spin and the scroll button for zooming.

    First button hit after starting the game right ALT. Got to be able to see underwater.

    That being said I might try out the shot camera again haven’t had it on since version 38.

    #49248

    apache64d
    Participant

    I use the basic direction keys and the mouse.. no little other boxes..

    #49249

    Rommel
    Participant

    Good question:@deathbal wrote:

    After seeing some screenshots, I am curious as to how, and what settings people use to play the game.

    All I do is use the old sight position, point, right click and spin. I often use camera angle 4 for snipe shots. But otherwise it’s on “free” camera. I have no little camera boxes anywhere. There is no need. The only time i hit the right ALT key is to see the landscape under water. Usually for roller purposes. Otherwise, not even that.

    What do other people use? And what’s with the little camera boxes?

    I play full screen using max graphics settings and never use the shot camera. Tried it a couple of time and found it to be more trouble than it’s worth. I’ve got pleanty of screen area for it but shooting using the #4 camera position and then zooming in on the shot as it approaches the target seems to work better for me. This method causes me some trouble at times because I forget to go back and check my position. Health is 100 shield is 100. Stay zoomed in on the target and fire the rollers. Boom! Someone put me in a hole last shot. 😉 I keep the camera in restricted mode as unresticted seems to complicate things for me as well. 😳

    I’m an old dog, what can I say?

    Oh yeah, being new to Scorched (ver. 41.1) and never having used the old sight position when it was the default, I’ve never tried it. It surprised me to see that you prefer it to the “improved” version. Is there is a good reason to switch? If so, I’m willing to give it a try.

    Thanks for posting this question. I’m very interested in this topic and obviously, it’s not something that can be easily dissussed in detail during a game.

    Rommel

    #49250

    PeanutsRevenge
    Participant

    you mean theres more than just a, left, right, up n down?
    for lookig around, left click, swing and scroll.

    I do have the lil camera set to shot camera as I’m often looking at who is shooting who with one eye and my shot with the other, but still miss it, so the shot camera stays focused on the landing area till its time to aim again.

    I never use anything but free look for main screen tho.

    Come to think of it, would be really nice if we could have dual screens, one for the actual killing and the other set for action cam, free look over whole map, be useful for keeping tabs on who is shooting at you, how close they are etc while still focused on your own shot!
    Just might be tricky to do.

    Works a treat in supreme commander… which, I’m going to add… I will be able to run now, WITH dual screens at more than 2fps 😀

    #49251

    Deathbal
    Participant

    I do look at who is shooting at who. I see every shot from above after taking mine.

    I only started using old sight position after reading the tips by Boy on the forum. Otherwise, I never knew it existed. That along with camera angle 4, sniping made easier. I usually know exactly where to put the aimer from that perspective. The drawback is, you have to use the same tank. But I don’t care about that. I also wouldn’t call the new sight “improved”. I’d call it different, that’s all. It’s not impossible, but it’s also harder to kill yourself with old sight.

    #49252

    The AI
    Participant

    I usually bop around with free cam (unrestricted) until I find a target, but then I mainly shoot off the barrel and ride the shots all the way down.

    Old sight, windowed mode. Not jack for settings (i still have not figured out how I can run tree shadows in Oblivion, yet the scorched trees bring me to my knees).

    Lasers, I just look at my tank from the side, no rulers or anything like that.

    oh, and pelican tank all the way.

    #49253

    Rommel
    Participant

    Lasers, I love lasers but it seems that they aren’t very popular:@The AI wrote:

    I usually bop around with free cam (unrestricted) until I find a target, but then I mainly shoot off the barrel and ride the shots all the way down.

    Old sight, windowed mode. Not jack for settings (i still have not figured out how I can run tree shadows in Oblivion, yet the scorched trees bring me to my knees).

    Lasers, I just look at my tank from the side, no rulers or anything like that.

    oh, and pelican tank all the way.

    Someone laughed at me at ApocHQ FFA not long ago because I fired a little too long with a laser cannon and didn’t get the kill even though they were in the kill range (320 power I think). Not being sure how far away they were I thought it was better to shoot long and get a hit than to shoot short and waste it entirely. Considering that they killed me, maybe I should have started at 320 and risked it. Oh yeah, I had a second one for backup after I did the range check but I didn’t get another shot. I know there are way too many variables involved to form a one size fits all solution but from what I’ve been seeing it seems that I play a little too much on the conservitive side and need to risk it a little more.

    Thoughts on this?

    Rommel

    #49254

    Irishbandit
    Participant

    @deathbal wrote:

    It’s not impossible, but it’s also harder to kill yourself with old sight.

    LOL adding that one to my signature. 😀 😀

    #49255

    pastor of muppets
    Participant

    I have no clue since I’m on laptop and am computer stupid,,, I use camera 4, 99.99% of the tme only going to spectator view then zooming in once a week or so. I can’t seem to adapt to other camera shots.

    Oh well I keep killing yalhl the way I have been I guess and just wonder what I could do if I was edumacated.

    #49256

    BOY
    Participant

    i never use any cameras I am free, FREEEE i tell you! Don’t follow the shot cuz i am usually looking for where everyone’s shots fall.

    always use old site unless there is some reason to use a laser….. which I can hardly find a use for 😛

    I keep water ON, but i have to have all good water detail OFF of course.

    #49257

    Deathbal
    Participant

    @irishbandit wrote:

    @deathbal wrote:

    It’s not impossible, but it’s also harder to kill yourself with old sight.

    LOL adding that one to my signature. 😀 😀

    LOL!!!! I didn’t realize how comically idiotic that statement was until i re read it. Aah well, it’s not the first one i’ve made.

    #49258

    comedown
    Participant

    I can’t keep up with the newer-ish style of play so I play vicariously through the forum.

    I always used to play in a medium sized window mode with the old sight, on the shot-riding camera for the most part, taking most shots on a “feels right, numbers look about right, right!” basis, dodging around with the free camera to make guesstimations here and there for new targets and stuff. Basic low detail water, high detail land/tanks, sniper/1000 power shots wherever possible, however improbable.

    #49259

    Deathbal
    Participant

    Does anybody use this mouse aimer besides me? I don’t mean the A key. I mean the item i’m pointing at in the screenshot. It is what I use. It’s an alternative to the keyboard. The slider for power, red dot to fire and the arrows to aim. The only time I touch the keyboard is if I miss by a little. Then I tap the arrow key.

    #49260

    Rommel
    Participant

    Tried it once, didn’t like it.@deathbal wrote:

    Does anybody use this mouse aimer besides me? I don’t mean the A key. I mean the item i’m pointing at in the screenshot. It is what I use. It’s an alternative to the keyboard. The slider for power, red dot to fire and the arrows to aim. The only time I touch the keyboard is if I miss by a little. Then I tap the arrow key.

    I don’t think I gave it a fair chance though.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.