This topic contains 15 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  mooic 10 years, 8 months ago.

• Author

Deathbal
    Participant

I’m just curious as to what other people do when navigating these maps.

I use free floating camera. Using the mouse wheel i can zoom in/out, right click/hold and spin. Or just left click somewhere on the map and then any combination of the others. Using that method I can get anywhere on the map within 3 seconds. The only time I use any camera angle is when i’m sniping.

HWB
    Participant

I used Camera 4 to snipe. I range with camera2. Other than that I have gotten pretty good with the mouse how you describe it Deathbal . But I use right click and spin more than not.

InductiveOne
    Participant

The way I’ve been doing it lately (and if youve played against me you should already know that doing what I do is a bad idea).

The first thing I do when I’m aiming at a tank is left click on it in the map, to center my view on that tank. I then, without moving the mouse hit ‘A’ to acualy aim at the tank I am targeting. Then I hold the right mouse button and rotata around the targeted tank so that my tank is closer to me, and the target tank is further away, lined up straight up and down on my screen. I rotate above the map enough so I can at least see both of thier labels.

Then I set the aprox angle to counter the wind from that view, if you do it the same way enough times you start to get a better feel for it. I dont count anything except quick taps on the right and left arrows. Then I spin back to a side view (or as close as possible) and set power.

For sniper shots, I usualy use camera 4 if its real close, but I always double check from a side view. With camera 4 if the shot is going to be aimed pretty high, like if your target is on the side of a hill, its pretty hard to judge the aiming. Also, it seems that you have to aim a little below your target. In general when sniping its better to hit just below your target then just above it. Well, in general, at least you’ll make a hole under them and hopefully mess up thier next shot. I dont normaly snipe with rollers and try to get them to roll down, I usualy try to lob them high. No real reason why acualy.

In general I guess I mean to say that I use a free camera almost all the time. I use camera 2 to find my tank quickly when the round starts, but I almost never hit space while using any of the camera views. I left click to jump around the map all the time, and tend to spin the map while things are exploding so I can see more things acualy explode.

Deathbal
    Participant

Your method is fine. But you have a method. I’ve noticed a lot of new players having problems. I think it may be a big reason why a lot of them don’t come back. I see them typeing…….I can see anything, or….where am i shooting, and even…this is making me dizzy….I love the way it’s set up. But a lot of new players I think get frustrated early on. I tried to get some of my online friends to play. Two of them got discouraged with what i’m talking about. The other “Lefbal” my brother in law, seemed to have no problem.

Willis
    Participant

I too use the free camera. To an extreme.

I’m always zooming in and out repositioning the camera to see myself and others on the map. When starting my shots I keep myself and my target in view at the same time but after the first shot I focus only on the targets location and key myself on how to adjust my shots. With frequent glances back at myself to assure that I’m safe and/or not damaged or relocated.

Sometimes I’m looking on a side position, other times I’m looking strait on (so If I’m watching target… the shot comes in from behind me). Always looking more so strait down then at the side.

I love the way it’s set up. But a lot of new players I think get frustrated early on.

Thats unfortunate, but I don’t think it can get any simpler (maybe their rushing themselves and not taking the time to get the feel of things.). Right click to rotate, left click to recenter, scroll to zoom. Personally preset mouse positions (#’s) are what I find complicated.

I should make a video one day of how I play… THAT could make people dizzy. 😆

Thrax
    Participant

@willis wrote:

I too use the free camera. To an extreme.

I’m always zooming in and out repositioning the camera to see
    myself and others on the map. When starting my shots I keep myself and
    my target in view at the same time but after the first shot I focus only on
    the targets location and key myself on how to adjust my shots. With
    frequent glances back at myself to assure that I’m safe and/or not
    damaged or relocated.

Sometimes I’m looking on a side position, other times I’m looking strait on
    (so If I’m watching target… the shot comes in from behind me). Always
    looking more so strait down then at the side.

I should make a video one day of how I play… THAT could make people dizzy. 😆

only to the newbs, that’s how i play too; constantly sliding and rotating.

I keep the mini-cam as an inch/by/inch shot-cam, and spin around to see
    angles from all my opponents viewpoints. I line up lasers from the sides,
    from 1st-person view, and even from target-end.
    Often see folks waiting the entire shot-time before firing; as if they
    actually think they’re fooling us on who they’re aiming at… I aim, chose
    ammo, and fire often within the first 5-10 seconds and do rather well.

cbx550f
    Participant

I agree that adjusting the views can be difficult for new users – I’ve seen this firsthand while showing people the game.

Note: This has been greatly improved for v41 by adding the ability to move the camera around the map by dragging with the left mouse button.

Other than that, I cannot think of anything else to change to make it more intuitive for noobs. (Perhaps I need to play other games once in a while lol)

Bobirov
    Participant

I use the free cam for regular shots. Like others, I am constantly zooming in and out and changing from a top down to a side view or a behind my tank style view to size up the distance and such. I usually make my guess as to power and angle within the first 5 to 10 seconds or so and then use the remaining 20+ seconds to second guess my original estimation and screw up the shot. 😛

For sniping shots, I usually make heavy use of the number 4 cam. I’ve gotten to where I just kinda know how far above the tank I need to aim for a particular distance. Not the most reliable method by any means, but it works for me. 😛

Thats about it, though. I rarely use the shot cam window or any of the other numbered views aside from number 4. I never use the user defined camera views as I find the conditions are constantly changing too much to rely on them really. Its easier for me to just free cam back over there real quick.

Here’s a question. How many of you use the edge scrolling? I have always disabled it since I first started playing. Mostly because I play in windowed mode and it doesn’t cooperate with me. I always felt the click to center and right-click to rotate was enough without the edge scrolling. I am curious of edge scrolling being on by default is part of the reason people find the controls hard to use. I dunno though, many people might like it.

And yes, I’ve already kinda gotten used to the new click and drag camera movement of v41. Its starting to feel funny not having it when playing v40.1. I like it a LOT better than the edge scrolling. It makes the camera movement feel a bit like Black And White (the game).

Deathbal
    Participant

I almost exclusively use the right click hold and spin……sometimes left click and then do as i mentioned above. As far as edge scrolling……rarely. But i do have full screen 1440X900 on my 20 inch flat screen. I was also very impressed that that RES was available since it is not in many games i pay for.

Also, would someone mind explaining to me what “the new click and drag camera movement” is?

Bobirov
    Participant

@deathbal wrote:

Also, would someone mind explaining to me what “the new click and drag camera movement” is?

In v41, in addition to being able to left-click on the landscape to center the position, you’ll be able to left-click but hold and then drag the mouse to pull the landscape in that direction. A lot of real-time strategy and other style games use a similar method.

BOY
    Participant

you know, I honestly just now realized, that when I played v41 briefly after compiling, that I like the dragging, but I use the right click spin method to navigate around hills very quickly for a look an many angles.

I honestly think that click and spin is best. No harm in adding additional ways to change view, but with spin, zoom and center click, I can go anywhere very fast. Dragging is just a lil’ slower is all.

BigBear
    Participant

Click and spin is the name of the game for me. I exclusively use the free camera. For a short while I tried camera 4 for sniper shots, but decided it was not for me. I learned to do power estimates for shots looking from the side only, so I don’t even use a top down view to estimate distance. This approach might not be optimal but if it’s not broke, don’t fix it right?

DeVice
    Participant

Ah, thanks for this thread, I will improve my shot time by starting to use the right click instead of slow numpad rotation.

I myself use the camera 2 and 4 a lot.
    4 for straight shots, like bobirov i can now have a pretty good estimation of the distance to shoot above target in that view based on distance.

I use camera 2 during adjust time to estimate how is positioned my target relative to my tank and apply altitude and wind diffs. Of course it only works when the target is in that viewfield 🙂

During shots I also switch often between those 2 views to see where my shots end and if i’m near to be hit.

I hate the side scrolling too, I always disable it.

Irishbandit
    Participant

@bigbear wrote:

Click and spin is the name of the game for me. I exclusively use the free camera. For a short while I tried camera 4 for sniper shots, but decided it was not for me. I learned to do power estimates for shots looking from the side only, so I don’t even use a top down view to estimate distance. This approach might not be optimal but if it’s not broke, don’t fix it right?

The only thing i would add is ctr-h for sniper shots. 😛

BigBear
    Participant

@irishbandit wrote:

The only thing i would add is ctr-h for sniper shots. 😛

I really know too little about the effect to comment, but I’ll stay away form that grid too on pure principle. 😉

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.