This topic contains 15 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  imported_gcamp 10 years, 2 months ago.

• Author

Wowbagger
    Participant

Just installed v41 beta and it runs REALLY slow. I have amd athlon dual core 4400 – nvidia geforce 7300 le 256 mb – 2 gig ram – win xp media center. thought it might be the graphics drivers so I installed the latest but still running slow and choppy. Used same settings as v40 which runs very smooth. tried changing some settings to lower detail but no help. Any suggestions???

Thrax
    Participant

@wowbagger wrote:

Just installed v41 beta and it runs REALLY slow. I
    have amd athlon dual core 4400 – nvidia geforce 7300 le 256 mb – 2 gig
    ram – win xp media center. thought it might be the graphics drivers so I
    installed the latest but still running slow and choppy. Used same settings
    as v40 which runs very smooth. tried changing some settings to lower
    detail but no help. Any suggestions???

You aren’t wrong.
    the current runs at 35-40 fps for me.. and v41 averages 20-25.

Check the max-fps slot and take it down to 75 or so.. any more is
    visualy wasted anyway, and it frees up any extra cycles for other stuff.

Don’t go bigger than 1024×768… you’re only lagging yourself.

The detail buttons don’t reduce a lot, but try the
    -Misc: ‘Don’t use detail textures’.
    I lowers the extreme close-up textures, might give you a few
    more resources when action happens.

The other settings give a few pointers on improvement.. but sacrifice
    the cool-ness of the game.. up to you.

cbx550f
    Participant

Make sure you check off “Full Clear”. 😉

Thrax
    Participant

@cbx550f wrote:

Make sure you check off “Full Clear”. 😉

I believe gavin’s removed that button totally now.
    It’s locked on by default to clear some other issues.

imported_gcamp
    Participant

@wowbagger wrote:

Just installed v41 beta and it runs REALLY slow. I have amd athlon dual core 4400 – nvidia geforce 7300 le 256 mb – 2 gig ram – win xp media center. thought it might be the graphics drivers so I installed the latest but still running slow and choppy. Used same settings as v40 which runs very smooth. tried changing some settings to lower detail but no help. Any suggestions???

The top graphics for v41 are positioned for very high end machines.
    You can turn this off by turning off shaders in the settings tab.

naka
    Participant

Is there any room for optimization?

The closest performance ive had was when i turn off shaders, water and trees, but it run notable slower.
    (I run old ver. with nowater too) 75FPS(v40) – 45FPS(v41)

A week ago ive tested scorched on recent HP Laptop , 2Ghz dual core AMD, 2 gig RAM, GeForce 8400MG but it run slow even with shaders and water off.

Wowbagger
    Participant

Gcamp Wrote:

Turned off both and still can only get it to 15 FPS tops. 😥

imported_gcamp
    Participant

@wowbagger wrote:

Gcamp Wrote:

Turned off both and still can only get it to 15 FPS tops. 😥

I’ll have a go at optimizing it, but this may be after the initial 1st release now.

Laptops Daddy
    Participant

I did some testing. Dusted off an old 7300GT TDH 256MB 128bit (was using it as an ash tray). 41 ran smoothly as can be in every resolution with max settings (NV quality slider all the way to the right).

The only way I could get it to go under 60fps (monitors refresh rate) was to turn off roam, which gave about 20fps in max resolution (1440 x 900).

Really makes me think these performance issues people are having are more down to drivers and g card features than graphics processing power.

The reflections and water looked a little different on the low-end card. Matter of interest, I also tested on an aging 2 x 6800GT SLI pc (easily 3 times the speed on paper); it struggled to sustain 50fps depending on the amount of aa and stuff turned on.

I think the max graphics settings should be reserved for use with higher-end equipment.

Ps:
    Not sure we have the same definition for “very high-end pc”. If you ask me, high-end for 2007 means 10,000+ 3D Mark ’06 score.
    Very high-end means 15,000+ ’06, while running scorched 41beta3 at 200fps, re-encoding Jurassic Park to HD 1080p in the background.

PPPPs:
    An “LE” or “SE” after your graphics card model number usually means it’s a trimmed down budget version (usually 64bit memory interface) and really not meant for playing 3D games.

Some harsh advice if it’s not a driver issue:

Get on ebay, spend the price of a packet of cigarettes on an obsolete graphics card, and double your 3d performance : )

If you really can’t… I’ve found max/higher detail settings often give higher frame rates (not sure why). Be sure to play with the settings in your graphics control panel, it can make all the difference.

If you’re really struggling for frame rate, try overclocking slightly. Maybe download something like RivaTuner. Try different driver versions.

There’s really no reason to make do with low-end graphics hardware. Most places are selling off last years DX9 cards for next to nothing. (everyone wants “Vista compatible” DX10). e.g. http://www.ebuyer.com/product/98417 is easily worth 40fps in v41. (+built-in freeview, remote control, video inputs).

Deathstryker
    Participant

But the sad part is Oblivion runs faster on my comp than Scorched 3D does now.

I mean… don’t get me wrong, Scorched is a pretty game now but it doesn’t compare to Oblivion in the graphical department.

imported_gcamp
    Participant

@deathstryker wrote:

But the sad part is Oblivion runs faster on my comp than Scorched 3D does now.

I mean… don’t get me wrong, Scorched is a pretty game now but it doesn’t compare to Oblivion in the graphical department.

That’s true, but Oblivion doesn’t have to draw the distances we do 🙂

Deathbal
    Participant

Laptop, I have a P4 2.8 , 1 gig ram running XP home.

Vid card is a Radeon 9550/X1050 128 bit, 256 DDR ram

Game still goes around 20 FPS

The AI
    Participant

I take it you have not played the proper version of Oblivion, with the right mods, everything can be seen….. everything. Also oblivion took a few years with a massive team; and a massive wallet.

I don’t know much about coding or game making, my skills are limited to writing, but is 41 more CPU or GPU intensive? Also, for the images, jpegs are nice, but they are a ram drain, would simply pre-converting all image files to bmp save time? so scorched doesn’t have to convert on the fly.

Also, with oblivion, even with low fps there isn’t chop, that is the main thing with low fps in 41, it is choppy, so something in that area might help the people who don’t have good computers.

naka
    Participant

@deathbal wrote:

Laptop, I have a P4 2.8 , 1 gig ram running XP home.

Vid card is a Radeon 9550/X1050 128 bit, 256 DDR ram

Game still goes around 20 FPS

DB how many FPS do you get with all gl_shaders off, water off and no trees?
    How much L2 cache is on your processor? 256-512-1M?

Deathbal
    Participant

Naka, between 50-65 FPS. And I am not sure where to find L2 cache. But I think it may be 1M.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.