This topic contains 1 reply, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Anorexic 13 years ago.

  • Author
    Posts
  • #2907

    Anorexic
    Participant

    Sorry to bother u guys, since u all know what u are doing. I was just wondering, could anyone give me a quick 1-2 on how to start editing weapons? I have no idea where to start.

    I know it is done in C++, so I copied accessories.xml into notepad, and I began making new weapons, I saved it as .xml, plopped it back in data. After backing up filed of course. But it came up with an error… I dont understand. I just copied and pasted and changed numbers, I didn’t touch anything else… Its a Syntax error…. Is there anyway to open the .xml file withought having to C&P it? I cant edit it if I just open it.:(

    I know I’m an idiot, but can someone point me in the right direction??

    #13593

    Bobirov
    Participant

    @anorexic wrote:

    Sorry to bother u guys, since u all know what u are doing. I was just wondering, could anyone give me a quick 1-2 on how to start editing weapons? I have no idea where to start.

    You have the right idea, the best way to start is by opening accessories.xml in a text editor and playing with the numbers a bit while looking over the general format to get a feel for it. After doing that for a while you might get the courage up to start copying and pasting bits and pieces of different weapons to make new ones. Eventually you can move up to just writing them from scratch once you understand all the tags.

    There is brief explanation of what all the tags do in this post. Also, if you want some more examples of weapons you can download the Apocalypse Mod and have a look at the accessories file in there.

    @anorexic wrote:

    I know it is done in C++, so I copied accessories.xml into notepad, and I began making new weapons, I saved it as .xml, plopped it back in data. After backing up filed of course. But it came up with an error… I dont understand. I just copied and pasted and changed numbers, I didn’t touch anything else…

    Well obviously you have made a small error somewhere. The xml is very particular about having things just right. When you first start out modifying the weapons you’ll wind up getting a lot of errors. You just have to do as best you can to deal with em while figuring out how things work. Probably the best way you learn is by trial and error, and believe me there will be a lot of error.. 😉

    If you get “mismatched tag” errors thats means that somewhere you openened a tag up but didn’t close it or just misspelled one somewhere:

    	
    ...

    Notice how collisionaction is misspelled in the closing tag, that would throw a mismatched tag error.

    If you get the “not well-formed” error, that means you have an error in your syntax for a tag somewhere:

    	
    ...

    Notic the missing ">" on the closing statement, that would throw a not well-formed error.

    @anorexic wrote:

    Its a Syntax error.... Is there anyway to open the .xml file withought having to C&P it? I cant edit it if I just open it.

    Just open the xml file in a text editor like Notepad or Crimson Editor, they are just plain text files. You don't have to copy and paste things, after you spend some time figuring out how to do things you can start to write your own weapons from scratch it just takes practice really. Keep at it, and soon you'll be making your own creations to blow your friends up with.. 😉

    #13594

    Anorexic
    Participant

    Appreciate your help. Got my first weapon working now… All it is is a deathead that shoots out alot of rollers instead of nukes heh.

    Those Tag Explanations really helped too./

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.