This topic contains 12 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  glisard 7 years, 7 months ago.

• Author

glisard
    Participant

Okay this may be a dumb question but if my connection was behind a firewall??? i would go here
    http://www.scorched3d.co.uk/wiki/index. … ind_Router
    But FOr some reason I can not make heads or tails of this my computer is a vista 32 so it is totally different than this.

Laptops Daddy
    Participant

@glisard wrote:

Okay this may be a dumb question but if my connection was behind a firewall??? i would go here
    But FOr some reason I can not make heads or tails of this my computer is a vista 32 so it is totally different than this.

not if it was! is it or isnt it?! in fact, it is. i thought we established that yesterday.

ignore the wiki. i posted a link to the manual for your own router, and you said:

@glisard wrote:

this is what comes up
    Please enter ports and port ranges that some Internet applications require to be forwarded in the spaces below.

1. Set the LAN port and IP information.
    Starting Port:
    Ending Port:
    Protocol:
    LAN IP Address:

2. Set the Remote Port and IP Information. (Optional)
    Starting Port:
    Ending Port:
    Set Remote IP Address: (0.0.0.0 will use any IP Address)

and i answered the post giving you the numbers to fill in!

if it helps, router port forwarding has nothing to do with the operating system youre on. it’s a setting on your router.

](*,)

once youve forwarded your ports on your router, you may also want to disable your software firewall for testing. if you dont know what that is or how to do that, maybe your friend can host the game? a little knowledge is a dangerous thing and all that.

i dont think i can do any more short of doing it for you – which is probably gonna be difficult. perhaps you can corner a local teenager or something and have them set it up for you.

i do hope you manage to get it working.

ps:
    why host your own server at all? there are a ton of empty servers on the list. you could just connect to one of those

BOY
    Participant

I also highly recommned playing on one of the other servers. There are stats!

Laptops Daddy
    Participant

@glisard wrote:

Okay this may be a dumb question but if my connection was behind a firewall??? i would go here…

i need to apologise. sorry. i read that as “if my connection was behind a router” in my frustration.

the wiki lists configuration for linux iptables – that’d scare most people to death. my bad.

Rommel
    Participant

STOP THE PRESSES !!!

@glisard wrote:

There is a post from me here someplace (Rommel) that notes the
    undisclosed DNS requirement. If you can find it, I’ll look too, that
    may be the bugger that is causing you problems.

Going to do some searching now …

A hit on the first try …

Reply To: Negetivity mod

Laptops Daddy
    Participant

@laptops Daddy wrote:

a little knowledge is a dangerous thing…

yeap.

viewtopic.php?p=41860&highlight=dns#41860

i can barely make any sense of what youre up to with that, rommel, and im the kind of guy who counts brushing up on ipv4 subnet broadcasts as part of a fun evening.

lets not scare people away : ). it’s really not that difficult to host your own s3d server. for most people, you just forward those two ports (27270tcp and 27271udp), make sure your firewall isnt blocking the app, and youre good to go.

maybe someone needs to update the wiki to make it less confusing.

Rommel
    Participant

I was attempting to give him a bit of information that he
    might not have found on his own. Specifically, it was :

The DNS setting section.

( DNS Rule )
    Allow Outbound UDP to IPA 255.255.255.255 Remote Port 53

@laptops Daddy wrote:

@laptops Daddy wrote:

yeap.

http://www.scorched3d.co.uk/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=41860&highlight=dns#41860

i can barely make any sense of what youre up to with that, rommel, and im the kind of guy who counts brushing up on ipv4 subnet broadcasts as part of a fun evening.

lets not scare people away : ). it’s really not that difficult to host your own s3d server. for most people, you just forward those two ports (27270tcp and 27271udp), make sure your firewall isnt blocking the app, and youre good to go.

maybe someone needs to update the wiki to make it less confusing.

Your post seems more confusing to me than
    the firewall settings. What are you up to?

P.S. – It can be difficult at times. It is not always simple.
    If it was, he would have it opertational by now. He isn’t stupid.

Laptops Daddy
    Participant

just seems like an odd kind of firewall that blocks outgoing port 53 by default. i doubt that applies here.

rommel, i like you, but you always seem to be spoiling for a fight! i worry that the kind of obscure settings youre talking about are gonna confuse the poor guy.

i take it back. you have lots of knowledge.

if you want to talk about whether it’s helpful to reference “( DNS Rule ) Allow Outbound UDP to IPA 255.255.255.255 Remote Port 53” when trying to help a guy who doesnt know a LAN from a eurostar railway link set up his/her first server, and doesnt even know if (s)he has a firewall, pm me or put it in offtopic!

ps:
    you can probably just open that port to your routers ip. 255.255.255.255 is a broadcast address for the whole network.

pps:
    no!

pm me or put it in offtopic!

Rommel
    Participant

I disussed this issue with Gavin before making the original post.

Please read the post in the developers section that I addressed to
    Trax.

Being the most experienced server operator in the bunch
    of us, I have requested that he offer his assistance.

SHAZZAM !

My request for Thrax’s assistance was not intended as an
    insult but if you read it that way, I am sorry and will try to
    do better in the future.

P.S. – If you are going to make charges, such as appearing to
    be spoiling for a fight, please be kind enough to quote the
    passages you find offensive so that I may better attempt
    to understand where and how I may have offended you.

@laptops Daddy wrote:

just seems like an odd kind of firewall that blocks outgoing port 53 by default. i doubt that applies here.

rommel, i like you, but you always seem to be spoiling for a fight! i worry that the kind of obscure settings youre talking about are gonna confuse the poor guy.

i take it back. you have lots of knowledge.

if you want to talk about whether it’s helpful to reference “( DNS Rule ) Allow Outbound UDP to IPA 255.255.255.255 Remote Port 53” when trying to help a guy who doesnt know a LAN from a eurostar railway link set up his/her first server, and doesnt even know if (s)he has a firewall, pm me or put it in offtopic!

ps:
    you can probably just open that port to your routers ip. 255.255.255.255 is a broadcast address for the whole network.

pps:
    no!

pm me or put it in offtopic!

Vauge accusations are very difficult to properly address.

Laptops Daddy
    Participant

@rommel wrote:

Vauge accusations are very difficult to properly address.

it’s all cool, my friend. no accusations intended/accusations taken back. whatever.

ps:

My request for Thrax’s assistance was not intended as an
    insult but if you read it that way, I am sorry…

ive never been so insulted!! : )

Rommel
    Participant

Dear glisard :

Hang in there.

@glisard wrote:

It isn’t supposed to be difficult but it isn’t always easy.

Your request for assistance has been noted and is being addressed.

Sincerely,

Rommel

glisard
    Participant

no clue if this will help or not?

P.S.
    what ever happened to the swarms and the really big nukes???

Laptops Daddy
    Participant

hi

you should probably avoid posting that kind of thing on the internet.

did you test with your software firewall disabled?

i feel a bit like we’re playing guess who and we’ve skipped questions on facial hair and gone straight to is it alfred.

if you havent already done so, turn off your software firewall for 10 mins while you test. you won’t be completely exposed because youre behind a router. if it works, you have a problem with the firewall.

glisard
    Participant

alright tried removing firewall and still got a timeout.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.