This topic contains 12 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  glisard 7 years, 8 months ago.

• Author

glisard
    Participant

okay I got a problem connecting to my server. I am trying to set up a server to play against my friend. him and I can’t connect to it. I finally got it to show up on the network but that was it. please help me And i did look at that others guys post but I did not understand it I am on a windows vista 32 please explain to me on how to set up a server.

Rommel
    Participant

Auto detect doesn’t work for me. It might not work for you.
    Manually enter your IP address in the IPA field.
    When your server shows up on the list try it again.

Good luck.

Laptops Daddy
    Participant

the common problem people have in setting up servers is port forwarding. it’s a pretty standard thing to have to do when you host games online. it’s best that you google for port forwarding if youre not familiar.

you need to forward the server port number and that number + 1.

in your case:
    27270 TCP
    27271 UDP

Manually enter your IP address in the IPA field.

is IPA ‘IP address’?

yeap, you may also need to add your internet IP address to the published IP box. i dont think ‘Quaker’ will work. it has to be an IP address or a proper domain name that points to one.

glisard
    Participant

I am getting the same thing when I typed in the IP address. I was supposed to put in the publish IP right???

Laptops Daddy
    Participant

did you check your port forwarding?

And i did look at that others guys post…

i dont know if i missed another similar post.

if youre behind a router (most people are these days) you cant host a game server without forwarding ports.

if you want to test the tcp port is forwarded properly, you can go somewhere like here: http://www.grc.com – look for the ‘shields up’ page and do their ‘user specified port probe’ on port 27270
    [attachment=0:tzbnq7g4]grc.png[/attachment:tzbnq7g4]
    if your port forwarding is working, it should be listed as open.

if youre really stuck, post the make and model or your router.

glisard
    Participant

okay this is what i got.
    my router is a actiontec pk500 by qwest and i am using a wireless linksys/cisco

Rommel
    Participant

Hi LTD :

His screen shots appear to show that he connected,
    located his server, joined and had the game starting
    to load. I can’t stay awake any longer. Hopefully he
    will provide you with more details soon.

Looking good on the face lift.

Good luck,

Rommel

Laptops Daddy
    Participant

@glisard wrote:

okay this is what i got.
    my router is a actiontec pk500 by qwest and i am using a wireless linksys/cisco

if youre using that grc tool, you need to type 27270 into the box and click ‘user specified custom port probe’

i couldnt see a pk500.

this may help, though? http://www.qwest.com/internethelp/modems/pk5000/pdf/PK5000_PORT_FWD.pdf

im not sure i can help much more. you need to make sure you have those two ports forwarded (27270TCP and 27271UDP). if you still have problems once you do, post again.

glisard
    Participant

this is what comes up
    Please enter ports and port ranges that some Internet applications require to be forwarded in the spaces below.

1. Set the LAN port and IP information.
    Starting Port:
    Ending Port:
    Protocol:
    LAN IP Address:

2. Set the Remote Port and IP Information. (Optional)
    Starting Port:
    Ending Port:
    Set Remote IP Address: (0.0.0.0 will use any IP Address)

Laptops Daddy
    Participant

yes. ok – you got that far.

so it’s probably:

Starting Port: 27270
    Ending Port: 27270
    Protocol: TCP
    LAN IP Address: *your computer’s LAN IP address*

and

Starting Port: 27271
    Ending Port: 27271
    Protocol: UDP

your computer’s LAN IP address is probably something like 192.168.x.x. youll need now what it is.

im getting a bit frustrated here! im trying to be helpful, but if youre still struggling after that – you really are going to have to spend some time on google learning about port forwarding.

good luck

ps:
    or:
    Starting Port: 27270
    Ending Port: 27271
    Protocol: BOTH

might do it. (if there’s a both option)

glisard
    Participant

sorry about this it is kind of new to me with these concepts. and this is what i keep getting. oh and the management prot number I tried this and then went back to zero.

Laptops Daddy
    Participant

np.

it says I am on a LAN is that a good thing

are you and your friend trying to connect over the internet? (that’s what i assumed)

it doesnt make much difference. 97.115.127.117 isnt a local area IP.

if you were both on the same network (in the same house, say), you wouldnt need to worry about port forwarding – you could just use the ‘LAN’ option from the list box top-right of the server list.

LAN and WAN isnt all that scary. LAN just means the network at your end (local side), WAN means the internet.

at your end (the computer hosting the game), you can connect with the LAN option, because you dont have to go through the internet to get to it. from the other end, if your friend wants to connect over the internet, you have to forward ports. (just you. your friend doesnt).

glisard
    Participant

Alright thanks for ur help so far. but I got to hit the sack for the morning I work at 11 am…maybe this will get figured out later today.

glisard
    Participant

okay I am still having the problem with connecting I have imputed the information on the forwarding.
    when i was on the grc.com this is what i got

Solicited TCP Packets: PASSED — No TCP packets were received from your system as a direct result of our attempts to elicit some response from any of the ports listed below — they are all either fully stealthed or blocked by your ISP. However . . .

Unsolicited Packets: PASSED — No Internet packets of any sort were received from your system as a side-effect of our attempts to elicit some response from any of the ports listed above. Some questionable personal security systems expose their users by attempting to “counter-probe the prober”, thus revealing themselves. But your system remained wisely silent. (Except for the fact that not all of its ports are completely stealthed as shown below.)

Ping Reply: RECEIVED (FAILED) — Your system REPLIED to our Ping (ICMP Echo) requests, making it visible on the Internet. Most personal firewalls can be configured to block, drop, and ignore such ping requests in order to better hide systems from hackers. This is highly recommended since “Ping” is among the oldest and most common methods used to locate systems prior to further exploitation.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.