This topic contains 12 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Raden 8 years, 2 months ago.

• Author

ArmorWraith
    Participant

Current:
    ATI Radeon Xpress 200 Series

I would like to play scorched3d in all its glory, I will spend up to 170 bucks for a new one. I know not a very big spender.

Was wondering if you guys had some suggestions, I run a windows XP.
    Checked New egg, but im not sure what im buying(not computer savvy) Just would like a much better upgrade than the aforementioned current that would work well with sorched3d.

Thanks 😀

Kanga

would like to see this when i play:

Rommel
    Participant

I’m running an nVidia 6600 and am able to play with all enhanced options utilized (wide open). Average frame rate is acceptable at around 28.

Can’t really make a suggestion based on your cash, other than to say :

If you are a few dollars shy of getting the card you want, don’t buy the card you can afford. Wait until you can afford the card you want.

Crispy Critter
    Participant

I’m running a passively-cooled nVidia 7600 GS here, and it works beautifully in 1680×1050 – at least after I updated the drivers to the very latest.

Before I updated the drivers, I was getting game freezeups – but not system crashes.

I haven’t looked at the frame rate, but I get very smooth motion.

Raden
    Participant

Are you talking about US dollars?…so USD 170?….well Rommel’s advice@rommel wrote:

If you are a few dollars shy of getting the card you want, don’t buy the card you can afford. Wait until you can afford the card you want.

is very good advice. If you add a few dollars more, you can buy either

1. ATI Radeon HD4870 or
    2. NVIDIA GTX260 (overclocked edition)

I would recommend the ATI. It’s cheaper , performance wise they are both about the same. For ATI, either ASUS or Sapphire would be a good brand, for NVIDIA, ASUS or Gigabyte is OK with Galaxy usually being the cheapest.

Both these 2 cards are overkill for just Scorched3D. With the latest drivers, the ATI HD4870 will give at least 160fps in full S3D graphic settings.

ArmorWraith
    Participant

@raden wrote:

Are you talking about US dollars?…so USD 170?….well Rommel’s advice@rommel wrote:

is very good advice. If you add a few dollars more, you can buy either

1. ATI Radeon HD4870 or
    2. NVIDIA GTX260 (overclocked edition)

I would recommend the ATI. It’s cheaper , performance wise they are both about the same. For ATI, either ASUS or Sapphire would be a good brand, for NVIDIA, ASUS or Gigabyte is OK with Galaxy usually being the cheapest.

Both these 2 cards are overkill for just Scorched3D. With the latest drivers, the ATI HD4870 will give at least 160fps in full S3D graphic settings.

Do you own one of the above, or have owned?
    if you have, i heard of some overheating problems with ati, no clue but i looked at the ATI one and its in my price range, Ty for your help all!

ArmorWraith
    Participant

Raden
    Participant

Yes, I use the ATI HD4870 ASUS Dark Knight 1Gb version. So far (7 months) no overheating probably cos the Dark Knight series has a better cooling fan and heatsink system. Prior to this I was using a Gigabyte HD3870 that came with a Zalman cooling fan. Also no overheat issues, though the HD4870 runs cooler.

The Sapphire you mentioned is OK but it comes with a standard fan, the Toxic or the VPX version from Sapphire has better cooling but also more expensive. There is an ASUS Dark Knight that has only 512Mb, but it comes with the same cooling system as the 1Gb version so that would be a better option than the Sapphire. Unless you go for the Toxic or VPX version.

Raden
    Participant

Mind you, these cards are more than sufficient for just S3D, a cheaper option would be the older NVIDIA 9800GT or ATI HD4850. These cards have DDR3 RAM instead of the current cards which use DDR5, but they do run slightly warmer than the current batch of cards due to the older architecture design of the gpu and in the 4850’s case, a higher clocked memory. It’s best to find a card which has an upgraded cooling system from the reference design.

One of the players mentioned he had problems installing the HD4850 though, but then again, he was installing 2 of them in Crossfire mode. So now with updated drivers it might turn out OK.

-edit- PS: The 4850 uses the same gpu as the 4870 but uses DDR3 and slower clocked gpu. BTW, the Sapphire you mentioned looks like a newer version than the one that came out initially so it looks like it does have a better cooling system than the reference design.

Raden
    Participant

Just for info, this one has the reference design and cooling system. I wouldn’t get this type.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=4833007&CatId=4406

ArmorWraith
    Participant

Thak you! you were very helpful and specific, i think i will go with the first ATI you mentioned, seeing as that seems adequate for most games and has had minimal problems for a decent price.

Ty very much 😀
    Kanga

Raden
    Participant

You’re most welcome 😀

ArmorWraith
    Participant

sorry for such a late reply, i bought this one instead, seeing as it was only 39$ more than my price.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=4549512&csid=_23

Crispy Critter
    Participant

I was wanting to run s3d on my main linux box[1], and found that the Nvidia 8400 GS has worked quite well for Scorching at 1680×1050. It’s not something I’d want to use for Crysis, though. 🙂 On the other claw, an 8400 GS card can be had for about $50… a lot less than what I paid for the 7600 GS in my Windows box. #-o

[1]The integrated Intel 945 graphics hardware utterly sucks under Ubuntu Jaunty. The box was originally intended to be a server only, but that Core 2 Quad makes it a very nice general-purpose box.

Raden
    Participant

Kangabunny,

Very nice. That’s the best single gpu ATI card you can get at the moment, though that specific model is based on the reference cooling system design. Not a big problem really. Make sure you have adequate casing cooling fans if you intend to overclock your card (which I don’t think you will need to).

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.