This topic contains 81 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  imported_gcamp 7 years, 11 months ago.

• Author

fab4
    Participant

The original directions are correct – it moves the scorched3d folder into the /usr/local/games folder.

Ben Urban
    Participant

I’m new here, so forgive me if I am supposed to create a new thread instead, or something like that…

I was wondering if there is a Universal build somewhere. I would be willing (and able) to make one, as well as a fully usable .app and associated XCode project files, but first I would need a configured tarball that supports frameworks. Obviously, autoconf has no direct support for them, so the necessary configurations would probably need to be done manually. I would also require an icon, preferably 128x128x32 PNG. In addition, I would need the program to be able to locate its share directory at ../Resources, relative to the executable.

If those accommodations cannot be made, I would be willing to package the current executable file in an application package, but I’d still need a Universal build, and an icon.

parasti
    Participant

Take a look at the Universal Binary for OS X? thread.

Skyllus vBi
    Participant

Hello,

I’m running on a MacBook Pro which I just purchased a couple days ago. While I have minimal Mac experience (About 1 semester at school, no personal use til now), I believe I’ve followed the steps to the best of my ability.

My version, according to the “About this Mac” screen is 10.4.9.

The first problem I’ve run into is that I don’t have X11 in my Applications list in the Utilities folder. When I go to download it, I’m told that I already have the program. I tried putting in the installation disc as well, but it doesn’t show X11 under the utilities folder.

As a result, I used terminal to put in the commands.

I soon gathered that I don’t have a “local” folder within my usr folder. I changed my Finder to show all hidden folder and files, to confirm, and there is no local folder within the usr folder. Also, since it is a protected folder, I cannot create the local folder.

Is this an update for a newer Mac version that may be causing the folder structure to differ? Is there any way around this? I tried the “Just boot it manually from the Documents folder” approach. I got a library file error, stating that it was missing an image file.

Can anyone help me out?

Ben Urban
    Participant

X11 is no longer needed for the Mac version. You can create a /usr/local directory in any terminal, provided you have administrator access, using the command

sudo mkdir /usr/local

Note that this will fail if the directory already exists. Also note that it is hidden by default for a reason; an administrator can do some pretty significant damage to a system by messing around in there.

I’m not sure why, but I have been able to successfully run scorched directly from the disk image. I can only guess that it looked for its ‘share’ directory in the same directory as argv[0].

It looks like it wouldn’t take much to convert the code to use frameworks for everything, as long as autoconf is not needed. I still need to know what preprocessor macros are used, and what determines their value, before I can build a proper application bundle. I also need a full-size icon.

Skyllus vBi
    Participant
    Last login: Sat Jun 16 15:02:58 on console
    Welcome to Darwin!
    *user-name*s-computer:~ *username*$ cd /usr/local/games/scorched3d
    *user-name*s-computer:/usr/local/games/scorched3d *user-name*$ ./scorched3d
    dyld: Library not loaded: /usr/X11R6/lib/libGL.1.dylib
    Referenced from: /usr/local/games/scorched3d/scorched3d
    Reason: image not found
    Trace/BPT trap

Help? :/

Do I need OpenAL? The download link for Mac is broken and I couldn’t find another mirror. But if I understand right, newer versions don’t need it.

Ben Urban
    Participant

Mac OS X 10.4 comes with OpenAL, so you shouldn’t need to download it separately if you have 10.4 or later. If you do not have 10.4 or later, you will need OpenAL.

It would appear that the version that you have has a dependency on X11. You might be able to get around that with the following:

sudo mkdir /usr/X11R6
    sudo mkdir /usr/X11R6/lib
    sudo ln -s /System/Library/Frameworks/OpenGL.framework/OpenGL /usr/X11R6/lib/libGL.1.dylib

Just make sure you don’t install X11 without first removing that link:

sudo rm /usr/X11R6/lib/libGL.1.dylib

Otherwise you might cause major problems, depending on how intelligently the X11 installer handles overwriting a link.

Skyllus vBi
    Participant

I did what you suggested, but how would I go about installing X11? Not sure where you’re coming from on that one. Anyways, heres what I did:

Last login: Sat Jun 16 19:13:28 on console
    Welcome to Darwin!
    *user- names*s-computer:~ *username*$ sudo mkdir /usr/X11R6
    Password:
    *user- names*s-computer:~ *username*$ sudo mkdir /usr/X11R6/lib
    *user- names*s-computer:~ *username*$ sudo ln -s /System/Library/Frameworks/OpenGL.framework/OpenGL/usr/X11R6/lib/libGL.1.dylib
    *user- names*s-computer:~ *username*$ cd /usr/local/games/scorched3d
    *user- names*s-computer:/usr/local/games/scorched3d colinfogle$ ./scorched3d
    Reason: image not found
    Trace/BPT trap

Ben Urban
    Participant

There was supposed to be a space between OpenGL and /usr. It appears that the line break caused a bit of confusion. You can delete the libGL.1.dylib alias that was created in your home folder, and rerun that last command with the space in there.

If you have Tiger, X11 should be installable from your Tiger DVD. I don’t remember whether that applies to Panther or not.

Skyllus vBi
    Participant

Last login: Sat Jun 16 21:37:06 on console
    Welcome to Darwin!
    colin-fogles-computer:~ colinfogle$ sudo ln -s /system/Library/Frameworks/OpenGL.framework/OpenGL /usr/X11R6/lib/libGL.1.dylib
    Password:
    Sorry, try again.
    Password:
    colin-fogles-computer:~ colinfogle$ cd /usr/local/games/scorched3d
    colin-fogles-computer:/usr/local/games/scorched3d colinfogle$ ./scorched3d
    Reason: Incompatible library version: scorched3d requires version 1.2.0 or later, but OpenGL provides version 1.0.0
    Trace/BPT trap

Next? :/

Do I need to look up OpenGL download?

Ben Urban
    Participant

The reason that the problem is occurring is because of the way shared libraries are handled in Unix-like operating systems. In most Unix-like systems, linking with a shared library causes its path to be placed in the binary, so that it must appear in that same location before the binary can be run. The problem, of course, is that in a different system it might not be there, or it might have a different name, or it might not exist at all. Mac OS X gets around this by allowing a shared library to specify that its path should be stored relative to the binary.

The version of Scorched3D that you are trying to run seems to be linked to the OpenGL shared library (libGL.1.dylib) that is provided by X11 (/usr/X11R6). This means that it will look in /usr/X11R6/lib for libGL.1.dylib when someone tries to run it. If X11 is not installed, that file probably doesn’t exist, so it fails. The sequence of commands that I provided are intended to trick the dynamic loader into using the OpenGL library that is provided by the OpenGL framework, which comes with Mac OS X.

This problem is typical of binaries built with autoconf on the Mac, and this sort of issue is my biggest problem with fink. It tends to create dependencies on the packages within fink, thus creating dependencies on fink itself. While I don’t have a particular problem with having fink installed on my system (other than the extra space it would take up), I do have a problem requiring others to have fink installed on their systems.

MacPorts deals with this issue a bit more reasonably in my opinion, by providing relocatable framework builds for many packages. A framework can be built, linked to, and then included in the application bundle, thus eliminating external dependencies (but increasing the size of the application, sometimes substantially).

For the record, I do have X11 installed.

Ben Urban
    Participant

It would appear that scorched is linked against version 1.2.0 of the OpenGL library, but Mac OS X only provides version 1.0.0. I guess you’ll have to install X11. Don’t forget to remove the link first.

Skyllus vBi
    Participant

I downloaded X11 a bit ago (mentioned it in my first post) and when installing it, I’m told it has already been installed. When trying to install an “update” as an experiment, it told me a newer version was already in place.

Don’t see it anywhere on my computer though, and a search for X11 brought no results.

fab4
    Participant

X11 version 1.0 that you can download from Apple’s site is old and ONLY for use with OSX 10.3.

Have you tried downloading and installing the latest X11 version 1.1.3 for OSX 10.4 here http://www.apple.com/support/downloads/x11update2006113.html

I believe the X11 1.1.3 is only an update – you’ll probably need to install X11 from your System DVD FIRST and then do the X11 1.1.3 update. Boot your computer from you System DVD and select ‘Optional Install’ to install X11

After it’s installed, X11 should be in your Utilities folder

Skyllus vBi
    Participant

X11 is no-where to be found on my mac install disc

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 83 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.