This topic contains 54 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  NP-TheOutlaw 10 years, 10 months ago.

• Author

Irishbandit
    Participant

@boy wrote:

In the screeny above, I’m pretty sure i could make that shot.

However, if the other guy was on back side of a hilltop, far away, and at a higher elevation, how do you get a good first shot?

Aim at the line below the person zoom out so you can see yourself and the target line it up. With lasers the land does not effect the shot so you just shoot like its a straight shot.

The first shot is a test shot. Use a regular laser not a hvy. Hmm just thought of a needed upgrade. A laser tracer. That would help alot.

Goes to feature request.

BOY
    Participant

somebody finally told me how the lasers are aimed so well. Apparently you can turn off the landscape completely, using the console commands. (some of us just dont bother using console commands, we’re too lazy.

This isn’t cheating but it is a dirty little secret. 😛

I am going to post the command to the aiming guide.

Thrax
    Participant

@boy wrote:

somebody finally told me how the lasers are aimed so
    well. Apparently you can turn off the landscape completely, using the
    console commands. (some of us just dont bother using console
    commands, we’re too lazy.

Never knew or cared about turning off the land, sounds extremely cheap.
    I seem to have done rather well with it so far..

Damn, should have screeny’d that multi-kill on the mains and my
    view of it, from the killing end of the laser.. not the targeting end.

BOY
    Participant

it is kinda cheap, true, yet I am compelled to post it so the info is available for everyone.

Irishbandit
    Participant

@boy wrote:

somebody finally told me how the lasers are aimed so well. Apparently you can turn off the landscape completely, using the console commands. (some of us just dont bother using console commands, we’re too lazy.

Hmm never have had the need to do that might be interesting. But i think i do ok with lasers with the land turned on. 😉

NP-TheOutlaw
    Participant

@boy wrote:

Yeah, lappy shared that info with me a couple of weeks ago. I said, huh? Who’da thunk it.

I vaguely remember trying to use the console once (shield glare I think)and ended up quitting the game by accident so I never tried any commands again.

lucky for most of us, lasers are not part of the normal repertoire

last week, I was quite impressed with a certain player, “karter” who first slopps himself with a ton of dirt, then sits back in the comfort of his own dirt shield and picks off players the entire round. I told him..”Bravo” as he killed me off quite easily, and having no digger or hogs, I felt like a sitting duck, plus not to mention I had never seen that particular tactic B4 (dirt then lasers)

And not until now, am I making a connection between turning landscape off and laser use to see how accurate “karter” was, even under a big-o-pile of poopy. I’m not really sure if he had landscape off, but I recall from being in dirt, that camera4 view would leave you quite blind if you’re under dirt, so how could he have gotten 3 kills in that round?……landscapeoff perhaps.

In later rounds…it didn’t work so well as funks and hogs came more into play, and also making sure your tank was below mr. laser

touché…

CaraVan
    Participant

Landscape on a hotkey(quicker than console) is quite valuable for the laser users, also helps to find players with names that are hard to spot due to terrain, color or length. : ) personally, I don’t use lasers because its merely a cursor on someone’s tank to be assured a hit :p

dont think I’ve seen this, but I haven’t searched the forum:
    The only calculating you need to do is compensating for wind. In high angle shots, wind becomes much a factor.
    windfactor * 5 =compensation that many degrees into the wind.
    Shooting higher than 60deg, needs more than 5deg/wind, less below that.
    Since lower angles have less wind deflection, use the lowest angle you can for the terrain/shot~ will make your shots easier, arriving sooner than opps that have shot a high arc. Especially important when others aim at the same target.
    Since there are so many factors in aiming, the fewer variables you have to think about the better, pick a few favorite angles and shoot ONLY with those.
    Get a feel for the range of your preferred shots. Youll come to favor taking shots then that fall within your ‘zones’.
    After you have gotten your angles/ranges down, u can finess these as needed for the situation. My favs-> 33.3, 35, 45, 50, 55, 60, 71.

Chopper
    Participant

Da Chop don’t grid anna Chop don’t resign…. 😆

Irish….. I wondered how u been kilin me all this time…

HWB
    Participant

@chopper wrote:

Irish….. I wondered how u been kilin me all this time…

Id like to add Chop don’t shield 😛

BigBear
    Participant

@chopper wrote:

You are truly my hero Chop!!! That’s like the best quote ever!!! Straight into the Polar Bear Hall of Fame.

NP-TheOutlaw
    Participant

finally…… I’ve been meaning to read this entire thread for quite some time.

a lot was said, some very cool hints and some unintentional stuff too.

and lots and lots of chatter was devoted to the grid (control g). I have never cared to know who uses it or not, nor does it bother me one way or the other.

so plz dont hate me for bringing back up such a “touchy” topic, but I wanted to go on record and say:

It would be really cool if Gavin got rid of the grid (control g) for 1 series only. a sort of trial run mini-experiment.

ok pay attention now

>my gut feeling tells me that just about everyone who is under any kind of “control-g suspicion, whatever that entails” is probably going to maintain the same kill ratio as before, even if Gavin got rid of it.

the bottom line is……
    1) the more you play, the easier it becomes to estimate.
    2) i cant seem to convince myself, one way or the other if the grid is as sinister as people make it out to be

personally, I have found it very useful to use the same angles over and over again. right now, I only use 4 diff. angles for all my shots, unless sniping.

Viewing 11 posts - 46 through 56 (of 56 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.