This topic contains 198 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Irishbandit 7 years, 1 month ago.

• Author

Laptops Daddy
    Participant

600w psu’s, it’s mostly sales gimmickry. best not to get caught up in it.

@deathstryker wrote:

My card requires a 425-450 Watt PSU (depending on the brand).

depends on the rest of the system. for context, a very power hungry g card might draw 120w peak. most are more like 40.

a high-end, monster pc might draw 350w peak total, but that’s ridiculously excessive. most won’t go above 250w with a single graphics card.

energy efficient is the new direction. it’s as much about heat/noise as environment/cost.

Deathstryker
    Participant

@laptops Daddy wrote:

600w psu’s, it’s mostly sales gimmickry. best not to get caught up in it.

@deathstryker wrote:

My card requires a 425-450 Watt PSU (depending on the brand).

depends on the rest of the system. for context, a very power hungry g card might draw 120w peak. most are more like 40.

a high-end, monster pc might draw 350w peak total, but that’s ridiculously excessive. most won’t go above 250w with a single graphics card.

energy efficient is the new direction. it’s as much about heat/noise as environment/cost.

Meh, I only paid like $10 more for it so it’s not like I really care, lol. It works and that’s fine with me.

Viking62
    Participant

This is da PSU that I am putting in that box…….ahem….I mean tower.
    CORSAIR CMPSU-550VX ATX12V V2.2 550W Power Supply 90 – 264 V UL, CUL, CE, CB, FCC Class B, TUV, CCC, C-tick – Retail $99.99 NewEgg.com

Specs

Okay, it’s a power supply. Not much excitement there unless it starts smoking, right? But if you can’t work up excitement, how about some respect? Like the 41 Ampere +12V rail (and there’s just the one +12V rail, so you don’t have to balance your power needs by hand.). How about the ability to auto-sense your input voltage from 90Vac to 264Vac, 50/60Hz? No more damaging your supply because the voltage selector was in the wrong setting.

Run cooler, too, because it can be up to 85% efficient, meaning less waste heat from the supply. Compatible with both ATX 2.0 and ATX 2.2 systems, it includes long cables for even full-sized tower installations. Nvidia SLI support It includes power connections for six SATA drives. A 120mm variable speed fan with double bearings gives good airflow with minimal noise. Active power factor correction helps deal with inductive loads (drive and fan motors, mostly).

Highlights
    ATX12V v2.2 Compatible
    Compatible with the ATX12V v2.2 standard, the Corsair CMPSU-550VX power supply provides maximum power stability to drive the latest Intel and AMD processors as well as other system components.
    550W Maximum Power
    A maximum power of 550W delivers safe, reliable output for high-performance gaming computer systems.
    80 Plus Certified
    The 80 PLUS certified power supply provides high power efficiency of at least 80% at any load between 20% and 100%, saving your money on your electrical bill, reducing heat in your computer’s system and prolonging its life.

More info……..Been doing some homework of my own guys–thanks for all the input=Props to all 😉
    http://www.newegg.com/product/product.aspx?item=N82E16817139004#spec

Rommel
    Participant

Hi LapTopsDaddy:

Watching Snoop Dog, AKA – Snoop Doggy Dog, AKA – Snoopy, on Larry King. My brain needed a break, thanks. Which one will run hotter? @laptops Daddy wrote:

Very interesting, Rommel. (‘least I think so). This came up in the game a while ago. Ohms law, temperature coefficients. Just the sort of thing we love on the scorched servers.

July 2007, the Energy Star people made it a requirement that PSU’s had to be 80% efficient or better at 20, 50, and 100% load. Any that don’t conform are old technology. http://www.80plus.org/

So, above in mind, what’s gonna run hotter? A 400W PSU, or an 800W one? I think it probably comes down to airflow. 20% is lost to heat regardless, but if there’s room for a low speed 120mm fan…

All depends on the design I suppose.

Things have certainly changed this last year. Green technology is big business.

Well the laws have changed, it seems. Switched PS technology has been around for a while.

Given the information supplied:

They are both 80 percent effcient at any given load. We will have to assume that they both just meet the requirement.

The only logical conclusion would be that they both will generate 20 percent of the total wattage consumed as waste heat. Thus, running at the same wattage requirement there would be no difference in the amount of heat generated.

More plainly stated:
    20 percent of my 400 pulling 200 watts is 40 watts waste heat
    20 percent of your 800 pulling 200 watts is 40 watts waste heat

The design of the case or the PS would not influence the amount of heat generated, only the effectiveness with which it can be dissipated.

Further, as the limiting factor in this example is the 400 Watt supply, one could safely assume that the 800 watt supply could never run hotter than the 400 watt supply however it might not be safe to infer the inverse. 😕

“Honey? What’s that smell? It … it … it smells (sniff sniff) like something … is … FIRE !!!!”

Later,

Rommel

Laptops Daddy
    Participant

obviously. youre preaching to the choir dude. lot of comp savvy users these days wouldnt know their current from their potential difference. : ) id like to think i wasnt one of them.

@rommel wrote:

…one could safely assume that the 800 watt supply could never run hotter than the 400 watt supply…

no, hotter implies temperature, not heat output. you questioning my authoritah?

nice power supply vik. and good point with the single rail, i almost brought that up myself a couple of posts back. active pfc too. sounds good.

Rommel
    Participant

Hmmm, seems like one is what’s in the pipe, and the other is the amount of force moving it along.@laptops Daddy wrote:

obviously. youre preaching to the choir dude. lot of comp savvy users these days wouldnt know their current from their potential difference. : ) id like to think i wasnt one of them.

@rommel wrote:

…one could safely assume that the 800 watt supply could never run hotter than the 400 watt supply…

no, hotter implies temperature, not heat output. you questioning my authoritah?

nice power supply vik. and good point with the single rail, i almost brought that up myself a couple of posts back. active pfc too. sounds good.

Well, not exactly, eh? Right. The stuff in the pipe is electrons, no flow = no current. So more precisely, current is just like it sounds, only it’s a current of electons. Current, (the Ampere) is a unit of a measurement which indicates the rate of flow (volume/unit of time) at which the electrons are flowing through the conductor.

Quick someone save him, who will run the train? He just takes the money? Ok, never mind.

Holmes Law ? What’s this Holmes law everyone keeps talking about? Oh, Homes law, like in houses, real estate?

I’ve been up way too long. 😛

Good day,

Rommel

Deathstryker
    Participant

@viking62 wrote:

This is da PSU that I am putting in that box…….ahem….I mean tower.
    CORSAIR CMPSU-550VX ATX12V V2.2 550W Power Supply 90 – 264 V UL, CUL, CE, CB, FCC Class B, TUV, CCC, C-tick – Retail $99.99 NewEgg.com

Specs

Okay, it’s a power supply. Not much excitement there unless it starts smoking, right? But if you can’t work up excitement, how about some respect? Like the 41 Ampere +12V rail (and there’s just the one +12V rail, so you don’t have to balance your power needs by hand.). How about the ability to auto-sense your input voltage from 90Vac to 264Vac, 50/60Hz? No more damaging your supply because the voltage selector was in the wrong setting.

Run cooler, too, because it can be up to 85% efficient, meaning less waste heat from the supply. Compatible with both ATX 2.0 and ATX 2.2 systems, it includes long cables for even full-sized tower installations. Nvidia SLI support It includes power connections for six SATA drives. A 120mm variable speed fan with double bearings gives good airflow with minimal noise. Active power factor correction helps deal with inductive loads (drive and fan motors, mostly).

Highlights
    ATX12V v2.2 Compatible
    Compatible with the ATX12V v2.2 standard, the Corsair CMPSU-550VX power supply provides maximum power stability to drive the latest Intel and AMD processors as well as other system components.
    550W Maximum Power
    A maximum power of 550W delivers safe, reliable output for high-performance gaming computer systems.
    80 Plus Certified
    The 80 PLUS certified power supply provides high power efficiency of at least 80% at any load between 20% and 100%, saving your money on your electrical bill, reducing heat in your computer’s system and prolonging its life.

More info……..Been doing some homework of my own guys–thanks for all the input=Props to all 😉
    http://www.newegg.com/product/product.aspx?item=N82E16817139004#spec

Looks good Viking. =D>

Deathstryker
    Participant

All the bullcrap has been cut from this thread.

Do not comment unless you want to give Viking some direct advice.

EDIT: If you’d like to see the posts that were split from this thread, read them here:

http://www.scorched3d.co.uk/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=5146&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

PeanutsRevenge
    Participant

A long article, but as you seem to be aware of the importance of a 3rd party CPU cooler, this should be of interest.

http://www.tomshardware.com/2008/02/20/cpu_cooler_charts_2008/index.html

EDIT:

Well, hard to argue at a price like this

http://www.tomshardware.com/2008/02/20/amd_announces_hd3800_price_drops/

BTW, the something new is the 3870 X2 (two GPUs on one card (not a dual card single slot like the GX2 was) which has damn fine performance.

Not sure if ya actually still reading all this Mr Viking, so imma go ahead and this thread be now…

Viking62
    Participant

Why, of course I am still keeping track of all the input here–I have not bought all of my components yet-So keep the info coming–I will post here when I send for my truckload of PC makin parts 😉

PeanutsRevenge
    Participant

Welcome back 🙂

Would prob be best if ya posted when your about to send for your truck load, this is PC component buying man, things are constantly changing and not just for whats current, but also whats coming, upgrade paths, product support etc..

Viking62
    Participant

Re-Edited/ordered 3/2/08-Vid card/9600 is a weak card “64” processes only=going with a power monster card! Great reviews running crysis! ((See pg.1 build info for changes))
    EVGA GeForce 8800 GTS Video Card – FREE Crysis PC Game, 512MB DDR3, PCI Express 2.0, SLI Ready, (Dual Link) Dual DVI, HDTV, Video Card
    Item Number: E145-8828
    Price: $339.99
    Less Rebate: – $30.00
    Final Price: $309.9
    Specification link—> http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3514991&CatId=1826

Once I build the system–I will include in my personal review…..All the goodies that I neglected to post in this thread ((Just to keep ya all guessing))

Oh yeah, I will be dual booting Ubuntu 7.10 & Vista ultimate 64……..anyone know how I can guage/stress test ubuntu? I could’nt help meself…I already D/L all the required manuals/bios updates, etc. for this build…..I have already assembled this PC in my mind……LOL 😆

*I changed my mind again*Should be the last time…… I needed to change my case preference. We have a lot of dust here where I live. So, I chose a case with dust filtering. The reviews on this Cooler Master case are acceptable–See the case below–Model= CM COSMOS 1000 RC-1000-KSN1-GP Black/ Silver Steel ATX Full Tower

Viking62
    Participant

This case–does have good filtering & cooling properties–I also like the arrangement of connections on the front/top of the case. Also, if I could afford it….I would send one of these to you Noob Bandit 😉 But, I am always broke–like everyone else …most of the time 🙄

Irishbandit
    Participant

Looks very cool viking. Could you change the shipping address to some-where north of you ??? (My address my address) 😆 😆

Viking62
    Participant

I would like to thank you all for your support & ideas/advice concerning hardware for this PC build–Without your input….I believe I would of ended up with a lesser machine. I have added changes to the original build list(Pg.1)

I ordered all of the components this afternoon…….Double checked prices from different vendors “Took me 4 hours” 😯

The vendors said I should have everything within 3-6 days-
    -Will post pictures here while the Cpu is burning in–>Going to lap the cpu top & the cooler base with fine jewelers rouge…..(fine grinding medium)…..for a perfect fit between cpu/cooler for optimum cooling 😉

Oh yeah: Cost me an arm & a leg…….3 Cows…..& My dog……..To build this PC 😆

Thx again guys!

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 200 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.