This topic contains 198 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Irishbandit 7 years, 2 months ago.

• Author

Viking62
    Participant

I ran into a slight problem with Raid 0 yesterday. One of my 320gb discs in the two disc raid array showed an Error (I panicked-lol). “Intel Matrix Storage Manager” warned me to “Back Up My PC” 😯
    I backed up my system to an external hard drive via USB. I tried the only fix that I know to do & scheduled a hard drive disc check & repair-I did’nt know if that would work with a 2 disc Raid setup-Had to try…… =P~

Upon a system restart, the disc check & repair worked its magic although it took over an hour to finish the checks & repairs.
    Restarted my PC…… YaHoooo …..PC is running stable & normal =D>

For anyone that does’nt know how to schedule a disc check & repair: Here you go……
    (Do Not Forget–>Back up all your PC information/programs first)

Vista ➡ http://maximumpcguides.com/windows-vista/how-to-use-check-disk-in-windows-vista/

XP ➡ http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315265

Raden
    Participant

@viking62 wrote:

(Power saving mode-until my system requires more speed;then it ramps up to 3.0ghz)-Could that account for the delay in

I think so Vike, mine is doing the same too, boosts up the speed when required. and Yes, very good idea to backup :)…I even do a backup before i install a program, just in case a snafu happens during the process.

Laptops Daddy
    Participant

@viking62 wrote:

…”Intel Matrix Storage Manager” warned me to “Back Up My PC”…

i dont like the idea of manipulating the raid through windows. im sure operating system based raid manipulation has its place in a server environment, but the last thing i need on a high end fake raid system, especially when multi booting different operating systems*, is half baked intel/windows software messing with my arrays.

thats not a stab at your method, vik – just a cheap 2 cents stab at intel. the thought of intel matrix isnt at all attractive.

matter of interest: i prefer the multi pc approach – i find its more flexible than a single ultra high end. the difficulty is keeping them cool and silent, escpecially when theyre crammed into micro sized cases.

*i currently have 3 main pc’s at this desk, each uses a 2 width striped bios defined array and is set to multiboot windows and a couple of linux dists.
    (not as extravagant as it sounds – radens pc probably isnt far off these three combined time you add up the specs).

works for me

Viking62
    Participant

Appreciate the two cents from both of you 😉 LD, I did raid 0 through my bios…. I hope the Intel Matrix just monitors it/think so….Plus, I have a Jmicron utility for raid also. . . .I am just beginning to understand Raid arrays-So, any know how would be appreciated from my friends here @ Scorched central 😀

A mind, or a PC, is a terrible thing to waste. . . .

Viking62
    Participant

Yusuf-You asked for pictures of the inside of my PC-I installed a new 700W C/M Power Supply *Upgraded wifes PC & this was part of the case/ps package*. My wife now has the Corsair 550W ps. Wifes pc also has my old 9800GTX vid card & 2 gigs of pc26400DDR2/ecs board/amd 2.7 2-core/WD500BG sata/CoolerMaster Centurian case & XP. CPU runs 110F under load. Used 99.9% silver particulate paste.

I also installed a fluid bearing 120 fan tossing air away from the hdd cage & into the 280GTX vid card (runs 500-800 rpm)-Cooled my card approx. 2 C.[attachment=0:3ot4nfd5]Q6600-WithWindGraphicsTunnel.jpg[/attachment:3ot4nfd5]

yusuf
    Participant

v pretty cooler viking ty for the pictures … but its more visual than functional

Laptops Daddy
    Participant

looks pretty functional to me. no leds or go faster stripes, no fancy glowing braided cables.

‘suf, that cooler is actually the shittest part of viks whole system from what ive seen. (can i say shittest on this forum?). ive used a few identical ones, and theyre dirt cheap. testament to how far cpu efficiency has come.

v nice.

Viking62
    Participant

My room temp is 75F today-Posting temps–> to Quote:

“‘suf, that cooler is actually the shittest part of viks whole system from what ive seen. (can i say shittest on this forum?). ive used a few identical ones, and theyre dirt cheap. testament to how far cpu efficiency has come.”

Cheap is working [-X :lol:[attachment=0:1o0tvp2k]SystemTemps-5-27-09.JPG[/attachment:1o0tvp2k]

BTW-Those temps are with the cpu running @ 3.2 ghz 1.4V (2.4 ghz stock) & 8Gb Ram @ 1066mhz 2.1V-Fsb=1422Mhz/355=Bus speed

Raden
    Participant

Hi Vike,

Those are cool figures, considering that you’re overclocking yr system. And your wiring’s really neatly done. Mine’s a little messy.

@laptops Daddy wrote:

……. no leds or go faster stripes, no fancy glowing braided cables……

😆 that sounds like my setup……

NoMoreSteve
    Participant

Actually, the braided cabling serves some purpose. I used it because it makes working inside of the computer easier. I hate the flat ribbon cables.

That being said, anyone who uses neon should be stabbed 1 million times with a plastic spoon.

Laptops Daddy
    Participant

edit: was just reading through this for fun. this was a duplicate post! dont know what i was drinking. ok, i do. removed!

Raden
    Participant

@raden wrote:

@laptops Daddy wrote:

……. no leds or go faster stripes, no fancy glowing braided cables……

😆 that sounds like my setup……

😳 I meant to say, that DOESN’T sound like my setup 😳
    …i got ‘some’ LEDs in mine 😛

Intel i7 920 2.66Ghz@2.96Ghz, ASUS Rampage II Extreme X58 mobo, Kingston 1333mhz DDR3 3Gb triple channel, Intel SSD 80Gb + Western Digital HDD 320Gbx2 (RAID 0) + 500Gb + 1Tb, ASUS Triton 81 cpu cooler, ASUS HD4870 1Gb gfx card, Cooler Master ATCS840 full tower casing, Tagan PipeRock 800W psu…..dual boot Vista Ultimate 64bit and Windows7 64bit OS.

Viking62
    Participant

I too have been waiting a long time to see your system Raden. Very nice build!!
    Is that liquid cooling on the back of the case? & BTW; The blue glow rocks my friend 😉 “We are like “Twinkies” when it comes to the cases…..Cooler Master-Full Tower” -Makes me feel all fuzzy inside. . . .Very nice!

A small fog machine ooozing smoke with the blue glow emanating from your interior would give the PC an ominous eerie look= =D>

Salaam,
    Da Vike

Small request=
    Could you Download–> CPUID Hardware Monitor -I would like to see your temps/maybe capture same info as I did–Would like to compare–Thx pal 😀

Raden
    Participant

Salaams Vike,

Thanks for the compliments my friend 🙂 It was fun building it and input and help from scorching friends really helped a lot in deciding the hardware and setup.

The thing behind the case is a detachable duct box with a fan, came with the casing. It’s supposed to help in the extraction of hot air expelled by the graphic card fan.

I actually did pipe some cigarette smoke from the front panel. Needed quite a lot of puffs *cough*cough*wheeze*. Did it just to try and see the flow of the air and the effects of having too many fans. I was afraid the fans’ positions would disrupt the general airflow pattern inside the casing. Results were inconclusive, i just knew the smoke was expelled :), and that my lips and throat were dry….

Here are the temps u requested Vike. Room temp was 78 F, and the fans were in my preferred silent mode ops. However, the program did not detect my other drives and also fans 😕 so no temp readings for them I’m afraid.. I didn’t connect additional temp sensors that came along with the motherboard, didn’t think I would need them much.

Viking62
    Participant

Cool numbers Raden,(Sorry for the late reply) and thanks for posting all of your information. The Cooler Master towers seem to be a pretty awesome air cooling solution. My wifes mid tower system runs cool also. Water cooling is for seals,polar bears & the geeks that just do not know when to stop……. 😆

Just had a weird thought… . . .~Pull all system fans (on an old PC)-Fill case (aluminum/steel) with dielectric jelly-would the case work as a heat sink?~ Hmmm

Viewing 15 posts - 166 through 180 (of 200 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.