This topic contains 198 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Irishbandit 7 years, 3 months ago.

• Author

Viking62
    Participant

You are not ruining anything Yusuf 😉
    I am running two monitors. #1 is a 22″ Viewsonic LCD @ 1680×1050 & #2 is a Hyvision 17″ LCD @ 1280×1024. Using a HD Wallpaper (Hope it looks as pretty on your side). As you can tell…….I am no minimalist=LOL
    I tend to agree with Raden….I started out on Windows ME/then XP/now Vista 64 ult.=No turning back for me now. We all have our own preferences…it is all good. I dabble with Linux too sometimes. I do remember a long while back there was a topic about personal Desktop screen shots.

Here are my desktops on this Vista pc…..(Downsized for less kb’s)

yusuf
    Participant

now thats a desktop that gives me creeps! .. i mean check out the taskbar icons .. its almost like population of india .. u should use a docks dude ..

i dont want to comment on vista .. neither vista nor xp has been developed by me so i dont see why i should side any .. its just that i dont have enough reason to shift to vista .. xp is sufficient for now

yusuf
    Participant

my desktop

Viking62
    Participant

That desktop gives me creeps–>J/K
    Cool desktop Yusuf=props
    Oh, looks like Vista 😀

yusuf
    Participant

looks like vista, feels like mac and u know whats the best part? u get all this eye candy with a much much better performance 🙂 ..

Raden
    Participant

Hello Yus,

I like your dock skin. Its 3D is quite realistic. Whats the name?

yusuf
    Participant

hey rad .. the docks called rocket dock .. u can find it at http://www.rocketdock.com

if u want the skin, u should look for it in the addons tab on the website .. u can also find the beautiful application launcher (the verticle icons) in the addons tab ..

the skin is called Leopard osx (apple dock) and the fan thing is called stack docklet ..

Raden
    Participant

😆 Yus, I know its Rocket dock …I use it too, but the skin, I was referring to 🙂 …ok, Leopard OSX…thanks…I have that too…somehow it doesn’t look so 3D on mine. Could be the icons itself…need ones with shadows or even better, with their reflections so as to make it more 3D-like. Yeah, the stack docklet is nice. Will look it up…thx once again 🙂

yusuf
    Participant

ahh yes u meant that .. u need too google reflective icons .. they make the dock look beautiful .. i normally google with reflective with the main word
    Example : reflective skype icons

Raden
    Participant

Hello Yus,

I downloaded the Stack Docklet and installed it already..Nice :). As for the reflective icons, I found a site that does online reflections to any icon of your selection.So i created reflections to my existing ones 🙂

Hello Vike,

Awesome desktop background you got. At a quick glance it looked like a multi-winged angel to me. How’s the new graphic card doing? Is the noise level of the fan as loud as your previous card’s?

Viking62
    Participant

@ Yusuf:Those reflective Icons rock-I am trying to keep the feel of my PC somewhat like XP (familiar).
    @ Raden: My background is just a visual teaser (busy, yet subtle coloring=Not distracting). The Gtx280 is working fine (Just gets a little too hot for my tastes)–>”AC Cooling” cooler is coming out this month…I will do some hard testing when I get that cooler–Fan noise is not a problem, my case has noise canceling foam & is heavily built…so, it does’nt work like an echo chamber. Also vibration type noises are non existent. My fans only ramp up when temperatures dictate the need–>My CPU runs pretty much below human body temp 73.4F(as I type this)-Maybe hits 100 degrees F when I stress test.
    Have you found any new drivers Raden? I see that laptop Daddy has hit some pretty good Frame Rates.
    Props to all-
    Da Vike

Raden
    Participant

Ahh, I see Vike…cool. I like the idea of the soundproof mat. Akasa is it? I’d like to do mine the same way, but I’m afraid it might add to the increase of the overalll temp inside my pc casing. The average ambient room temp here is 30 degrees celcius and I cant have airconditioning on for the whole day 🙂
    As for my card, yes, I got a new driver but its effects are minimal. Not really much difference from my previously posted frame rates.
    I’m currently not making any plans to upgrade anything else in my pc, (maybe get better RAM sticks, ones with faster speed @ lower timings), but I’m planning on getting an SSD, once their storage size has increased and their prices decrease :)..

Viking62
    Participant

New 3DMark Vantage Advanced record for my PC: To go any higher I would need a bigger power supply I fear. I OC’d the already overclocked Gtx280 card & OC’d my cpu
    to 3.2ghz from 2.4 stock. Running my G.Skill memory @ 534.5 x2 giving me 1069mhz thru 8Gb’s. It took me some time to get all of this to run stable. I am still running this PC on air cooling & the Corsair 550 watt Power Supply. I am very satisfied with this Abit board–I am going to add a small card for physics at some point & dedicate the Gtx280 to graphics only–I really wish they would run a high speed service cable to my area. Would like to hook this PC up to the Folding at home network (Cuda) & be able to help with cancer research & such (super computing network/linked pc’s).

Viking62
    Participant

Hey LD, good call on the WD320’s & Raid-0. This configuration gave me a pretty good loading/usage speed boost. I really notice a difference!!
    If you go to page 7 of this thread. . . .
    http://www.scorched3d.co.uk/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=4999&p=52296#p52296

. . . .I put my latest HD Tune results there along with my 1-WD320 non Raid results for comparison. I did reinstall Vista & I am putting all my bloaty apps/programs on disc’s. I had right around 100GB taken up on that 1 Hdd-I save too much stuff- 😆

Laptops Daddy
    Participant

@viking62 wrote:

Hey LD, good call on the WD320’s & Raid-0. This configuration gave me a pretty good loading/usage speed boost. I really notice a difference!!

hi. cool. yeap. love that raid 0.

windows load speeds can actually be a little slower with raid 0 sometimes. where it really comes into its own is when youre extracting large rar files or copying a lot of stuff from one spot to another, maybe installing software from a mounted iso or something.

cant go wrong with wd. these are seagates:
    [attachment=0:2z8e008j]hdtune0.png[/attachment:2z8e008j]

Viewing 15 posts - 136 through 150 (of 200 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.