This topic contains 198 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Irishbandit 7 years, 2 months ago.

• Author

Viking62
    Participant

**As of 1/10/2009–This PC build is complete–Thx all for the great help**
    Waiting for my latest graphics card upgrade……Nvidia 280Gtx

I am building another PC soon–I could really use some input from my Scorched friends. It would take multiple threads to cover all aspects & components of a PC build. I will try to keep my postings minimal 😉

My plan so far–PM me as to not clutter this thread

I will post my conclusion/final decision when I receive input from you all …..2/25/08 ** Almost done modifying my list **
    ………….Purchased Components 3/1 & 3/2/08 & 3/7/08………….
    Last minute additions:Ordered 3/7/08
    (Monitor)–ViewSonic VA2226w 22″ Widescreen LCD Monitor – 5ms, 2000:1, WSXGA+ 1680×1050, DVI, VGA, Black $229.99 after $30.00 rebate TigerDirect.com

(Extra HDD)–Tower holds 7……3/7/08
    Western Digital Caviar SE16 500GB Hard Drive – 7200, 16MB, SATA-300, OEM
    WD Caviar SE16 7200 RPM next-generation SATA hard drives feature up to 500 GB of storage and a 16 MB cache for lightning-fast performance.
    $99.99 TigerDirect.com

Edited-2/25/08
    (MB)– ABIT IX38 Quad GT LGA 775 Intel X38 ATX Intel Motherboard
    $219.99 Neweeg.com

Edited-*Final*
    (CPU)–edited 2/25/08 –Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Processor HH80562PH0568M – 2.40GHz, 8MB Cache, 1066MHz FSB, Kentsfield, Quad-Core, OEM, Socket 775, Processor—>GO Stepping…….$259.99 Tigerdirect.com
    Edited-1/10/2009 clocked @ 334/running @ 3.0Ghz/1336 FSB-Cool & stable on air cooling!!

Edited 1/19/07 *purchased* (Memory)-Newegg.com -Bought 2Gb’s
    G.SKILL 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory (Lifetime warranty)
    Model F2-6400CL5D-2GBNQ
    Type 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM
    Capacity 2GB (2 x 1GB)
    Speed DDR2 800 (PC2 6400)
    Cas Latency 5
    Edited*Later in 2008* Added G.Skill 4gb 2x2gb F2-8500CL5D memory for 6GB total(Running at 1.850V & 1008mhx=504mhz x 2) FSB @ 1336.

I have read user reviews and I can safely adjust this memory to Cas 4 specs. Review—>Good, fast RAM, and 2 GB for less than fifty bucks is rad. The red heatsinks clamped onto these 1 GB sticks work well, as far as I can tell. They haven’t gotten more than luke-warm at their rated speeds. 800MHz 5-5-5-15, 740MHz 4-4-4-12, etc – all fine.
    *Not bad….4GB’s Ram for under $100.00 U.S.*

Re-Edited-Vid card=Hard choice 12/18/08 “final choice”
    EVGA 9800Gtx+ 512mb 2.0 pci exp. $339.99/$30.00 rebate,with Crysis game included– **Upgrading**2x Asus ATI4850 TOP, Running Crossfire for 2009**
    Edited-1/10/2009-Tried the ATI cards, drivers & software buggy on Vista 64 Ult.-Will be running a single Nvidia GTX280 card.

(CPU Cooling)–www.ewiz.com Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro CPU Fan For Intel CPU $20.99

Edit-
    (Power supply)-as of…1/10/2009 *No problems*– CORSAIR CMPSU-550VX ATX12V V2.2 550W Power Supply 90 – 264 V UL, CUL, CE, CB, FCC Class B, TUV, CCC, C-tick – Retail $89.99 U.S. newegg.com

(cpu paste)– OCZ OCZTFRZTC Freeze Thermal Extreme Conductivity Compound (O261-8086) $5.99 (Tiger direct)

*Tower*Edited 2/28/08 Final
    *Needed more Filtering/cooling* COOLER MASTER COSMOS 1000 RC-1000-KSN1-GP Black/ Silver Steel ATX Full Tower Computer Case $189.99 Newegg.com

Edited-
    (HDD/Main&storage drive) Western Digital Caviar SE 320GB Hard Drive – 7200, 8MB, SATA-300, OEM (TSD-320AAJS) x2 $74.99/($49.99(17/Dec/08) (Tigerdirect) *Upgrading to run Raid* For 2009***
    Edited 1/10/2009-2 320gb sata’s & 1 500GB Sata for storage

OS= Microsoft Windows Vista 64-Bit Ultimate for System Builders Single Pack DVD SP1- OEM **1 year later-Runs great!!**Posted 12/18/08**

😀 (After I complete me own case mods (case window,etc.) & component installations…….I will put a system picture in this thread & post the PC 2008 Wizard results in the appropriate thread also–I am so excited about building this PC & it is an honor to share this with my friends. 😉

Included a picture: ABIT IX38 Quad GT LGA 775 Intel X38 ATX Intel Motherboard ➡

Spectrum
    Participant

your proposed specs look really good! It would put my system to shame 😉 As for the 32bit or 64 bit XP I would stick with 32bit as there arrn’t to many programs out yet built for 64bit OS

naka
    Participant

@viking62 wrote:

(MB)–BFG nForce 680i SLI NVIDIA Socket 775 ATX Motherboard / Audio / PCI Express / Gigabit LAN / S/PDIF / USB 2.0 & Firewire / Serial ATA / RAID

The best choice so far for Intel proccesors is intel chipset/motherboard.
    also MSI motherboards are a bit capricious and unpredictible sometimes.

a banana
    Participant

Looks like a good spec. Personally, I’d avoid MSI m/b’s — my preference is for Gigabyte kit, but then I’ve been using them for 20-odd years and generally find them to be reliable and well-made.

Avoid WinXP64 unless you want to have a potential nightmare with drivers and applications. It’s actually a great O/S, but very badly supported by third-party manufacturers.

It looks like you’re going for 4GB of RAM in total. You might want to do some googling about the 3GB RAM limit in WinXP 32-bit editions. Although you will be able to install 4GB and Windows will work, you’re not really going to benefit too much from the RAM above 3GB, so you might want to save a bit of $$$ or divert it into another part of your build.

If you’re going for an after-market CPU cooler, why not try and save a few $$$ by going for the OEM version of the CPU, as surely the retail version comes supplied with a fan/heatsink, doesn’t it?

Lastly, you might want to check out some prices on newegg.com — I’ve often found them to be very competitive.

a banana

Laptops Daddy
    Participant

I don’t mind giving some more subjective advice in an open thread. That way people can challenge it and you won’t blame me if it doesn’t work out.

Since nodding politely isn’t helpful…

I don’t like the graphics card, I don’t like the PSU, and I wonder if USB video capture may be a bad idea.

Doesn’t matter how much they dress these mid-range graphics cards up, they’ll never compete with a high-end one. The cheapest 8800 cards are about 30% more in the UK. I think you should stretch to it, even if it means compromise in other areas.

That CPU looks good (if expensive), the RAM is probably ok. Like Banana says, consider the 3GB thing. And check it’s CAS4.

Abit are best for motherboards (uguru stuff), MSI/Gigabyte/Asus are on par for the most part. Corsair are the way to go for RAM. Fortron Source are best for power supplies.

I like to avoid anything gimmicky myself. Flashing lights, Zalman and its buddies, GTSTDXTproMKII’s with double bonus RAM.

I don’t know about overclocking, but you do have options beyond the NV680i chipset. A quick list to consider (no idea how prices compare with the US):

ABIT AB9 Pro iP965 £80
    Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Energy Efficient 95W Socket 775 (2.40GHz) £150
    Corsair 2GB (2x1GB) DDR2 800MHz XMS2 CL4(4-4-4-12) £45
    2 x Western Digital WD3200AAKS 320GB SATAII 16MB Cache £50 each for RAID0

DX9 graphics cards will give you way more power per pound at the moment. Do you really need DX10 support?

I’m not sure I’d mix ATI with Intel these days, but the X1950 cards are very good value at the high-end. e.g. X1950Pro 256MB 256bit GDDR3 £80

sabi
    Participant

hi old man 😀
    The best chipset for intel platform is an intel one (regardless revision or manifacture of a MB)
    Trust me 10 years in that mather
    Happy holydays : 😀

Viking62
    Participant

Wow…..So much new information to soak in. Thanks you all for your input thus far–I am running Corsair Ram in my xp box right now(have been since 2003) I think I will stick with it in the new build also–I will revise my build to include the W/D Hdrives also–Have they (Bill & co.) worked out the bugs in Vista enough to consider running that OS? I don’t want a PC that I have to fight with for weeks on end to keep it running 😆

Keep the opinions coming–Looks like I will reconsider the M/B also–I do want Overclocking capability/serial port 1 (I need) is there something I don’t know here *Pinouts on all boards….etc.*? Oh–& I need…at least 3 Pci slots.
    Thank you all for the great reviews so far….
    & Hlo Kiddo, long time no see (Sabi) 😉

Rommel
    Participant

One thing:

@viking62 wrote:

Wow…..So much new information to soak in. Thanks you all for your input thus far

Keep the opinions coming–Looks like I will reconsider the M/B also–I do want Overclocking capability/serial port 1 (I need) is there something I don’t know here *Pinouts on all boards….etc.*? Oh–& I need…at least 3 Pci slots.
    Thank you all for the great reviews so far….
    & Hlo Kiddo, long time no see (Sabi) 😉

I see no reason for you need to limit your M/B selection to only boards with a built in serial port as long as you have an extra slot that will accept a serial port card.

Although I don’t think you were looking to broaden your search field, perhaps your focus on this issue narrowed your initial selections too dramitically. If so, then I’d suggest eliminating the serial port as a requirement at first. Hopefully your narrowed down choices would then be the ones most adaquately suited for your purposes.

From where I’m sitting, the cost of an extra slot and serial port card is pretty insignificant considering the type of system you’re going to build.

Best of Luck With It,

Rommel

Oh yeah, almost forgot, to add some humor. Go with a case that has flames painted on it. You might have to replace the power supply if you can’t get it bare, but for a machine like this, you have to have flames and it’s much better to have them on the outside. 😉

Viking62
    Participant

@ Rommel:
    I did’nt know that there was a serial port card to be had–Thanks:)
    I run PC controlled radio (ham radio) control software & I really do need the port & I am somewhat interested in weather monitoring equipment (will be hooking that up later)–I have many tasks planned for this PC–I also like to play around with making my own home videos–This PC should be able to handle pretty much everything I can throw at it…including gaming & 5.1 audio.
    Rofl about the flame paint job……..Overclocking will come later as my learning curve improves—>No interior flames wanted or needed 😆

PeanutsRevenge
    Participant

I’d stay away from pre-clocked graphics cards (even mine will be pre clocked, but it was cheaper somehow) as they are USUALLY :S more expensive and 10 mins with rivatuner or similar will have better effects for less money.

4GB Ram and 64bit is pointless at the moment, I would go with crucial/corsair high speed memory rather than 4GB.
    Quad cores need a high FSB to work well and running 1200 FSB would be better with the memory running at the same speed.

I wouldnt go with the 8600 either, its complete the rubbish, the best Nvidia atm is the 8800GT 512MB SOOO much faster for not ALOT more money. I wouldnt go higher or lower than that.

The case… well, COMPLETELY your personal preference, I like the Antec nine hundred, looks great with wickid cooling.

The retial CPU point was very valid, Im looking to get either a Thermalright Ultra 120/extreme or noctua NH-U12F, both very effective VERY quiet coolers.

Now, if you knock down to 2GB of quick memory it should save you enough to up the graphics to the 8800 GT, which would give MUCH better performance than the 4GB 8600 option u have.

The USB video capture is an issue, I have a single tuner USB TV Stick (HVR-900) and problems occur with having high bandwidth devices on the same hub (on the vast majority of boards 2 ports share bandwidth) and also power.
    However on the flip side, as its external it wont be pumping heat into your case and blocking airflow.
    Whether you want more or less cards visable through your window is also something to consider.

I still stand by what I said about using an nvidia 650i board aswell alot cheaper atm but still very good, mine supports 1333 fsb and above.
    I personally dont like gigabyte boards or abit though, MSI or asus are my preference, although I have heard gigabyte have improved alot since I stopped using them 6 years ago.

Could I direct you to a couple of sites tho to compare products:

I have been using this site for about 10 years now and it has gained my trust
    http://www.tomshardware.com/us/
    they have good benchmarks (half way down on the right) but unfortunately they messed up with a recent super test of DX10 cards

and I have recently found:

http://www.xbitlabs.com/

who have similar benchmarks and some good reviews / opinions.

Viking62
    Participant

Edited/Revised-Thanks again L/D–After I read your reply to this topic….I found a 6800 card–Comes with a game–Asus + Overclocking software too.

ASUS GEFORCE 8800GT 512MB PCI-E 600MHZ DVI-I HDTV EN8800GT/G/HTDP/512M -$269.95 U.S. atacom.com

Specs

Brand ASUS
    Model EN8800GT/G/HTDP/512M
    Graphics Engine Geforce 8800 GT
    Interface PCI Express x16
    Max Resolution 2560×1600
    Operation Supported Window Vista
    OpenGL 2.0
    RAMDAC 400MHz
    DirectX Version DirectX 10
    Memory Size 512MB
    Memory Type GDDR3
    Memory Bandwidth 256-bit

Enjoy Groundbreaking Real-Time Strategy Game with Cutting Edge ASUS EN8800GT
    – Exclusive Hottest DX10 Game bundle: Company of Heroes – Opposing Fronts
    – PCI Express & PCI Express 2.0 support
    – Microsoft DirectX 10 and Shader Model 4.0 support

ASUS Features
    Exclusive Hottest DX10 Game bundle: Company of Heroes – Opposing Fronts

ASUS Splendid:
    Watching movies on PC is as good as on Top-of-the-line consumer television

ASUS Gamer OSD:
    Real-time overclocking, benchmarking and video capturing in any PC game!

ASUS Video Security Online:
    Keep an eye on your home at all times no matter where you are

ASUS Smart Doctor:
    Your intelligent hardware protection and overclocking tool

Graphics GPU Features

NVIDIA® GeForce 8800GT

PCI Express & PCI Express 2.0 support

Microsoft DirectX 10 and Shader Model 4.0 support

OpenGL® 2.0 support

HDCP compliant

NVIDIA PureVideo HD technology – Essential for the Ultimate HD Movie Experience on a PC

NVIDIA Quantum Technology – Advanced Shader Processors architected for physics computation
    Hope this is a final choice–Cannot go more $$ than this on a vid card;)

Laptops Daddy
    Participant

i still think you should skip the “top end” mid-range cards. an 8600 might be good value at £60, any more than that and you should go high-end.

the amount/type of video ram is irrelevant if were talking about competing with a high-end card.

you would need two £100 512MB 8600GTs in SLI before you’d be anywhere near a single £140 256MB 8800GT.

any game that needs 512MB video ram is unlikely to run on an 8600 anyway. (i could be wrong)

PeanutsRevenge
    Participant

you need memory for high res.
    If going over 1920×1200 then I would want more than 512, but upto and including that res, 512 is fine.
    1280×1024 and below 256 should be fine.

Laptops Daddy
    Participant

i’m not convinced, but you agree that such resolutions are beyond the scope of a mid-range card peanuts? 512MB on an 8600 may as well be go faster stripes.

i think you’re overestimating, even for a high-end card. better to wait until games actually need 512MB+ of video ram, buy a 2009 descendent for half the money in a couple of years time.

http://www.pbz.ru/uwar_tech.avi (not for dial-up, 133MB)

Rommel
    Participant

Hi Viking:
    @viking62 wrote:

@ Rommel:
    I did’nt know that there was a serial port card to be had–Thanks:)
    I run PC controlled radio (ham radio) control software & I really do need the port & I am somewhat interested in weather monitoring equipment (will be hooking that up later)–I have many tasks planned for this PC–I also like to play around with making my own home videos–This PC should be able to handle pretty much everything I can throw at it…including gaming & 5.1 audio.
    Rofl about the flame paint job……..Overclocking will come later as my learning curve improves—>No interior flames wanted or needed 😆

No problem at all, I’m glad I was able to provide some assistance. I was a little surprised that the thread was growing so fast and in spite of all the expert advice you’ve been getting, no one else had mentioned this. Although you didn’t ask, the last time I checked you could get a PCI serial port card for around $30. The cards come in a variety of configurations including combo cards with Par. and Ser. in case you should need to upgrade later or want to go ahead and add a few legacy ports now.

Although I was kidding about the flame case, I seem to recall that someone does have one like this available.

Good Luck,

Rommel

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 200 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.