This topic contains 7 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Deathstryker 12 years, 9 months ago.

  • Author
    Posts
  • #3252

    Armageddon
    Participant

    The game randomly freezes. I am using default settings but with the resolution set to 1024×768 and fullscreen. The freezing is resolution and fullscreen independent and occurs under 800×600 as well.

    When it works, it’s beautiful, excellent frame-rates, etc. Everything looks fine.

    I am hesitant to run it further until the issue (whatever it may be) are resolved. After resetting via the case button (the only solution), I ran error-checking on the main hard drive and there were minor file system errors that had to be corrected. Thank god I’m running NTFS, but I don’t want to be doing this too much.

    This has occurred 5/6 times I ran the game. There is one time where the system appears to be responding except there is no video (i.e. the screen is black). I was able ctrl-alt-del out of the game and restart blindly by keying my way through the start menu and the turn off dialogue. The other times I had no keyboard/mouse control.

    I run many games (Half Life 2, NFSU 2, etc.) and my system has never crashed, let alone completely hanged like this before.

    My specs are:

    Radeon 9000 Pro 128MB (Catalyst 5.3 drivers, latest)
    Windows XP SP2 with all updates
    Pentium 4 1.6Ghz

    Any ideas? If there’s any thing/info I can provide to help let me know. I want this game to work.

    #16683

    gray
    Participant

    I have a similar problem in WinXP using my Radeon 9500pro. It isn’t limited to Scorch though. I had the same problem with Unreal 2 and UT2003. I also had the same problem on Legacy of Kain, Defiance. However I have never had a driver crash on the same machine using linux 2.4 or 2.6 with the ATI FireGL drivers installed, My theory is that the WinXP DirectX drivers and ATI video drivers do something wonky over time and cause the card to crash. I originally attributed this to overheating, but I cannot say for sure. It could be as simple as a very slow memory leak as well. Sorry, wish I had some help for you.

    #16684

    Armageddon
    Participant

    The problem didn’t occur for me when I played UT2k3, no problems with UT2k4 either.

    I cannot make it through 1 game (5 rounds) without it freezing. Of the 6 times I played, only once did I finish a game (then I quit because I knew that was too good to last 😀 ).

    Does Scorched have an error logging option somewhere that would output to a file as the game runs (i.e. real time, not after since it won’t have a chance)?

    #16685

    The Funkinator
    Participant

    @gray wrote:

    However I have never had a driver crash on the same machine using linux 2.4 or 2.6 with the ATI FireGL drivers installed,

    With the old ATI drivers on linux the VBO option used to result in display corruption (newer drivers fix this one).
    And I still get crashes after prolonged use (several hours) on linux, sometimes scorched just segfaults (crashes), sometimes it takes the whole machine with it.
    I keep meaning to make a debug build of scorched and to get a core dump of the crash, but it happens so rarely.
    It may just be the ATI drivers, they are a long way from perfect.

    With regards advice for windows, make sure you have the latest ATI drivers (they tend to publish fixes monthly).

    If it still crashes, try turning off the VBO and GLextensions (Click safe options in game settings, or edit this manually).

    If it is still crashing the whole computer after that, it’s almost certainly an issue with your computer. (It’s pretty hard to crash a computer without using GLextensions / VBO, or at least it should be…)

    BTW: It’s perfectly normal to have inconsistencies on your hard drive after a full system freeze, provided you don’t have a habbit of editing important documents whilst playing scorched it really shouldn’t be a major problem.
    (I haven’t heard of an instance of your operating system being corrupted after a system freeze, but it’s one of those things which you can’t rule out).

    -TF

    #16686

    Ebonite
    Participant

    Scrorched has a long history of inadequacies with ATI drivers. perhaps someone more techinical can point you towards some of the attempted fixes.

    #16687

    Armageddon
    Participant

    Thanks, turning off GL Extensions worked (2 games no freeze so far). 😀

    #16688

    .–.ShoCkwaVe.–.
    Participant

    ovr the past year I have finally concluded for myself that ATI
    will no longer be receiving any more cash from my pocket anyways.

    there are several driver issues related with it and I give two thumbs
    down and a big frown for poor product support.

    booooo! booo i say ! “paTOOie*!!

    #16689

    imported_gcamp
    Participant

    @.-*-.ShoCkwaVe.-*-. wrote:

    ovr the past year I have finally concluded for myself that ATI
    will no longer be receiving any more cash from my pocket anyways.

    there are several driver issues related with it and I give two thumbs
    down and a big frown for poor product support.

    booooo! booo i say ! “paTOOie*!!

    ATI have always been a pain in my, er side 🙂
    Cards are generally quite good, but the drivers let them down. I mean look at the linux ones.

    I know the problems people see are quite possibly due to things I have programmed badly but the nvidia drivers cope with no issues.

    #16690

    Deathstryker
    Participant

    @gcamp wrote:

    @.-*-.ShoCkwaVe.-*-. wrote:

    ovr the past year I have finally concluded for myself that ATI
    will no longer be receiving any more cash from my pocket anyways.

    there are several driver issues related with it and I give two thumbs
    down and a big frown for poor product support.

    booooo! booo i say ! “paTOOie*!!

    ATI have always been a pain in my, er side 🙂
    Cards are generally quite good, but the drivers let them down. I mean look at the linux ones.

    I know the problems people see are quite possibly due to things I have programmed badly but the nvidia drivers cope with no issues.

    Well I wouldn’t say NO ISSUES. My multitexturing still doesn’t work heheheh.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.