This topic contains 51 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  cbx550f 12 years, 3 months ago.

• Author

badshot
    Participant

(got it without looking at sources)

I noticed that wind in scorched works exactly like if landscape is tilted, i.e.vertical is not vertical anymore. That seems to be because of how force of wind is added together with force of gravity.
    So…. i practiced a bit and found that at wind force=5, if you shoot in direction of wind at elevation 75.9 , missile falls right onto your head (very good for cbx-ing 🙂 )
    I played a bit with calculator: this formula gives angle to shoot at full power against wind to cbx:
    90-(180/pi)*atan(tan((90-75.9)*pi/180)*windforce/5)
    so there is table:
    0: 90
    1: 87.1
    2: 84.3
    3: 81.4
    4: 78.6
    5: 75.9
    That’s angles where vertical is facing for different wind forces. For wind force=0 , vertical points at 90 🙂 For wind force=5, vertical is in direction against wind and at elevation 75.9 , and so-on for all other wind forces.

So, doing full power shots with wind is not so hard afterall – you just have different direction of vertical (and slightly bigger g).

(note: it’s not cheat. It’s table for “wind boomerang” suicide… lol)

—-
    BS:
    using calculator to find optimal angle for suicide.

comedown
    Participant

hahaha, ahh this is what scorching is all about. 8)

nice discovery.

Willis
    Participant

Yup, wind in scorched is on a liniar scale, so the strength of wind is measured in X*#. X being whatever the standard for wind, # for the force number. Force Number 0->5.

Your formula, sounds a lot more complex then it should be. I should take a minute to redo my findings from before (did something just like you posted too) and similar to my comment on liniar forces but I was pretty sure I concluded:

90 – (AngleDifference * Force #) = SelfKillAngle.

badshot
    Participant

@willis wrote:

Yup, wind in scorched is on a liniar scale, so the strength of wind is measured in X*#. X being whatever the standard for wind, # for the force number. Force Number 0->5.

Your formula, sounds a lot more complex then it should be. I should take a minute to redo my findings from before (did something just like you posted too) and similar to my comment on liniar forces but I was pretty sure I concluded:

90 – (AngleDifference * Force #) = SelfKillAngle.

Your one is approximation… for small angles, tan(a) ~= a (and atan too) so for small angles results is near to identical.

But if there would be wind force like 10 or 20, then that probably would make a load of difference.

I’m assuning wind force is applied horisontally and is added to gravity force, so even for very large wind forces, we never get vertical to point down.

I think there’s typical addition of 2 vectors:

|
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |
    >

gravity is vertical line, wind is horisontal, and diagonal line is sum. Also it’s where tan comes to work, as tangent is equal to horisontal vector divided by vertical, i.e. tangent of selfkill angle gives you what portion of gravity does windforce have.
    Seems that it’s 0.05 for windforce=1 , i.e. windforce 1 is equivalent to 1/20 th of gravity.

(Also, there’s these pi/180 is there to convert from degrees to radians because calculator i use works with radians only)

(it’s somwhat similar to how while formula for killing somebody is rather complex (I derived somewhere) , if you have 2 shoots falling near target, you can find angle and power by just interpolating… which doesn’t work for shoots too far away from eachother)

By the way…. why bots don’t shoot perfect? I can contribute formula, only need to find where i wrote it. To make totally badass bot, it’s necessary to have formula that gives power for given angle, and (in the AI) check all angles from 0 to 90 with 10 degrees increment (for example) and check which ones don’t collide with ground and don’t requir too much power. Then shoot, and babymissile will fall _right onto_ head of enemy even if there is force=5 wind, and even if bot shoot at full power (like we do without wind). Afterall with wind formula is exactly the same, just instead of gravity vector you have gravity+windforce.

Wowbagger
    Participant

I know some of us are smart enough to figure this out, but why would we want to post the formula in a general forum for everyone to read.

Ebonite
    Participant

So people may take the opportunity to suicide with 1000 power in more than just 0 winds.

Willis
    Participant

Yup 😆 , there is no special secret to calculating kills here, except killing yourself 🙄

Deathstryker
    Participant

Hell, no secret revealed to me. I don’t have the patience to read posts over 10 lines long.

cbx550f
    Participant

Wow – it appears that my “skills” have inspired a thread! 😉

I’ll never forget my first 1000 power force 5 cbx… it started a tradition of sorts. 😉

NoMoreSteve
    Participant

And thus, CBX became a verb. 😉

Ebonite
    Participant

NoMore! Good to see ya!

NoMoreSteve
    Participant

Thanks!

After 7 months without internet access, I’m finally getting my service back!!!! I’ve had to get my internet fixes from work. Good thing my boss is the IT manager. 8)

Anyway, I’m just brushing up with all the stuff on the boards. Looks like I missed out on the ice cream and spam, though. 🙁

Anyway, see ya all in the fields next week! See ya on the boards sooner.

Wowbagger
    Participant

Welcome Back No More Steve!!!!!!

I was wondering what happened to you ❓

cbx550f
    Participant

@nomoresteve wrote:

Hey! I resemble that remark!

Good to see you – looking forward to the honour of being killed by you! 😉

Sondra
    Participant

@cbx550f wrote:

@nomoresteve wrote:

Hey! I resemble that remark!

Good to see you – looking forward to the honour of being killed by you! 😉

And I’m the clone :mrgreen:

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 53 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.