This topic contains 34 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Picci 10 years, 7 months ago.

• Author

InductiveOne
    Participant

@mooic wrote:

You guys forced me into an MCB game with Vihor, I lost 🙁

😉

Ive been in a few of those games too, dont recall ever winning any 🙂 I had the honor of playing MCB with hwb and vihor a couple weeks ago. I’ll let you guess how that went (it was fun though).

BOY
    Participant

other stuff has gotten in the way this week, I’ll try to get this funky bomb out of the factory soon though.

BigBear
    Participant

@deathbal wrote:

A regular Hog can take out a force shield and it’s occupant. So can a well placed Funky.

Actually it doesn’t. The force shield it can handle but not the player as well in one shot. In that sense the fb has more power. What it does have is an extreme tracking range. The limiting factor is the environment. The hog works best on smooth surface maps (ie no jagged edges like some mountain maps). A hole between the point of impact and the target will render a miss. The dud ratio is 10 percent i believe. It’s not always useful but on some maps it’s all but impossible to miss with a hog save for the dud ratio.

@deathbal wrote:

Me personally, I just wanted to see more balance in weapon use. More nukes, more hot napalm, mirvs, blah blah blah……not funkys all game. Maybe by lowering the cost of said items it can happen.

I know what you are looking for any I certainly do not disagree. However, no matter what you do there will always be some weapons that are more useful. Even if the funky would be made “undesireable”, some other weapon would take it’s place sooner or later. The one shot one kill ratio might drop, which isn’t a bad thing really right? I do fear though that getting people to use the full range of the weaponry on a regular basis might be a little optimistic.

@mooic wrote:

Why not leave them alone and create some new weapons to go along side the current arsenal, maybe have a poll to see if some of the lesser used weapons could be removed so that we dont have about 4 screenfulls of mega weapons to choose from.

That’s what the mods are for (adding weapons I mean).There is a certain charm to it that the weapons in the “no mod” games resemble the original scorched weaponry as far as possible imo.

As always it’s hard to know exactly what effect changing the “main” weapon in the later rounds would have. To be perfectly honest I am a bit curious and wouldn’t mind a little change to the gameplay to make things more interesting.

P.S. Say that the efficiency/price/whatever is changed for the funky. Then imagine if the price for fuel and teleports was capped really low. Now THAT would be some different gameplay from what has become the mainstream standard of half the rounds being one shot (pls pls hit my funky) then die for most players. Someone feeling up to creating the “Dodger Mod”? D.S.

Deathbal
    Participant

I was playing Sabi just yesterday. It was round 10, 1st shot on the ice cavern map. He had a force bubble up. My Sandhog bounced off of his bubble and hit the ice right in front of him and he blew up. Which is why I said a sandhog can do that. It is the only time i’ve ever seen it happen.

Now that I think of it. Maybe the little bit the hog took off the bubble when it bounced, was just enough damage to the bubble for the hog to kill bubble and occupant upon impact with the ground.

Brain Damage
    Participant

I’d like to throw my 5 Cents in here, editing weapons power only requies the edit of a simple file with can be openend with notepad, there are mods with big weapons, mods with small weapons & so on, but those mods are made by a single or mostly 2-3 persons.

I’ve played a game where the most popular mod were made by a rip-off of another mod and constatly tweaked by the players playing it, with this i don’t mean that modders doesn’t listen to suggestions, but that every modder puts it’s view of the game, while making it (either by will or inconsciously).

This could be appliable with scorched too; all you would need is to start a thread and listen to people’s suggestions, no new weapons needs to be made, no new landscapes, you’d only need to tweak the prices & power, if necessary i’ll work to provide a server for it, if anyone’s interestied.

Deathbal
    Participant

@bigbear wrote:

I know what you are looking for any I certainly do not disagree. However, no matter what you do there will always be some weapons that are more useful. Even if the funky would be made “undesireable”, some other weapon would take it’s place sooner or later. The one shot one kill ratio might drop, which isn’t a bad thing really right? I do fear though that getting people to use the full range of the weaponry on a regular basis might be a little optimistic.

You’re probably right. But the reason I think Funky’s are more often the weapon of choice, and I may be wrong, is because they are a more versitile weapon. Or an “anytime” weapon as opposed to most of the other weapons which are situational.

If you really want to kill someone in the next round, or you just want to get a kill, what weapon comes to mind besides a Deaths Head? Even the DH is somewhat situational. So the funky is both powerfull and an anytime weapon. That, IMHO, is what I think is the reasoning behind it’s over use. I don’t think that can be said about any other weapon.

BOY
    Participant

once i make the weapon, I will set up a server for it and everyone can try it out. If it is liked enough for an edition to the no mod game, then we will send it up to Gavin.

My goal will be to make it behave as close as possible to the original funky as I can, but I plan to try to keep as much effectivness without making it a bit weak. The original one was not all that realiable. It was, well, truly funky.

It will have delays to it, similar to the fireworks in scavenger, and some change velocity, similar to the acid blast weaopn in Apoc.

BigBear
    Participant

@Brain Damage wrote:

This could be appliable with scorched too; all you would need is to start a thread and listen to people’s suggestions, no new weapons needs to be made, no new landscapes, you’d only need to tweak the prices & power, if necessary i’ll work to provide a server for it, if anyone’s interestied.

I’m interested! As you know I can be a “slow starter” 😛 when it comes to getting down to business, but I will try and make an effort soon to come up with an interesting setup to try out.

BOY
    Participant

I am getting into the code tonight, and realized that new features in v41 might make this a lot shorter in xml code if I wait till the random integer values are available. In any case, I’m woking on it now.

Deathbal
    Participant

@boy wrote:

once i make the weapon, I will set up a server for it and everyone can try it out. If it is liked enough for an edition to the no mod game, then we will send it up to Gavin.

My goal will be to make it behave as close as possible to the original funky as I can, but I plan to try to keep as much effectivness without making it a bit weak. The original one was not all that realiable. It was, well, truly funky.

It will have delays to it, similar to the fireworks in scavenger, and some change velocity, similar to the acid blast weaopn in Apoc.

Hopefully. Because lately that is literally all that is being used. It kind of takes away from the game in my opinion. It’s not that expensive but powerful. It is being used from the 2nd round on up en mass. Some would argue that if it were more expensive it would be used exclusively by those with a lot of money. That, IMO is better than being used by everyone all of the time.

There are lots of ways to tone them down. But again, in my opinion, leaving them as they are takes away from the game.

1. More expensive
    2. Same weapon but no effect on bubbles.
    3. Make them less reliable as you have said.
    4. Less bomblets

Probably many more options. But leaving them as they are makes them the overwhelming weapon of choice. It takes from the rest of the game. Bypass all else, buy 2 funkies.

Bobirov
    Participant

Wasn’t the number of warheads on the funky bomb random in Scorched Earth? I swear I remember that being the case. If so, that might be a nice way to make it less reliable. Make it so that it randomly has anywhere from maybe 4 to 6 warheads on up to the current max of 12. Just a thought.

Thrax
    Participant

@deathbal wrote:

@boy wrote:

once i make the weapon, I will set up a
    server for it and everyone can try it out. If it is liked enough for an
    edition to the no mod game, then we will send it up to Gavin.

My goal will be to make it behave as close as possible to the original funky
    as I can, but I plan to try to keep as much effectivness without making it a
    bit weak. The original one was not all that realiable. It was, well, truly
    funky.

It will have delays to it, similar to the fireworks in scavenger, and some
    change velocity, similar to the acid blast weaopn in Apoc.

Hopefully. Because lately that is literally all that is being used. It kind of
    takes away from the game in my opinion. It’s not that expensive but
    powerful. It is being used from the 2nd round on up en mass. Some
    would argue that if it were more expensive it would be used exclusively by
    those with a lot of money. That, IMO is better than being used by
    everyone all of the time.

There are lots of ways to tone them down. But again, in my opinion,
    leaving them as they are takes away from the game.

1. More expensive
    2. Same weapon but no effect on bubbles.
    3. Make them less reliable as you have said.
    4. Less bomblets

Probably many more options. But leaving them as they are makes them
    the overwhelming weapon of choice. It takes from the rest of the game.
    Bypass all else, buy 2 funkies.

Or.. solve it all by trying out other mods.. where Death Heads and
    Funky’s are considered puny and laughable.

Deathbal
    Participant

@thrax wrote:

Or.. solve it all by trying out other mods.. where Death Heads and
    Funky’s are considered puny and laughable.

Well that’s why i said “hopefully”, and “in my opinion” as much as I could. It is just that, my opinion. If no one shares that opinion, I am perfectly ok with it.

BOY
    Participant

The first version of the funky bomb is finished! The only problem is it can’t be checked out unless you’re a developer. I’ll try to do my best with the feedback available, and produce something decent. I may have a developer server for those of them that are interested in testing the recreation of this anchient and mystical weapon of greatness.

It can be tweeked easily, but the current version works like this:

– deploys 8 pairs of bomblets, each deployment is at a random interval between .4 and 2 seconds apart.

-Each bomblet has a random aim distance between 30 and 70 (old was 50)

-After aiming each bomblet velocity is altered to between 85% and 115% of target velocity

-miss percentage was decreased to 15% (old was 20)

-All bomblets explode in one of 4 random sizes. (4,7,9, or 12) with a hurt amount of 85% for all. the old bomblets did 100% damage and were all size 10.

-All bomblets have shield collision damage reduced by 10% (gives the force shield one extra bounce before it fails from collisions.)

I couldn’t do the random number of bomblets with the new features available without adding a bit extra code the old way, I can do that later if need be 🙂

FREAK
    Participant

Funky bombs can be extremely effective.

However there are two things I don’t like.

One is the fact that when you fires one near multiple targets, almost all bomblets can go towards one target if they are closer to one then another target.

The second is the fact that if you fire one to close to a target(s) then there is a good chance that the bombs will go over them. So sometimes its best to be inaccurate a little bit.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 36 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.