This topic contains 7 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  hobbesme 11 years, 4 months ago.

• Author

Willis
    Participant

I’ve been experiencing a lot of kicks from the game recently, all times (litterly) have been when I was NOT watching the game.

I either have the game minimized or hidden behind other windows (I’m going to run a small test to see if it’s got to be one or other .. becuase I’ve never kept notice about this small detail) and when I return I’ve been disconnected.

Socket closed.
    Client socket has been closed.
    Disconnected

That’s always the end of my log messages.

WinXP Home
    HP Laptop Pentium 4, ATi Graphics Card. Laptop only 6 months old.
    Running off cable connection + Linksys router.
    (Wireless gameplay never been factor before though.)

I’m going to continue investigating on my game-minimized VS game-hidden thoery… but my initial thoughts are regarding the keep-alive pings sent to players if theres any conditions where the game no longer receives/responds to them if the game is not the active window?

jdog
    Participant

Could it be because of missed turns or is this while your dead?

Willis
    Participant

Nope not missed turns (I considered posting that origionally but owell).. and it’s happened both alive and dead (mostly dead .. because thats when I get the AFK time.)

I’m still riddling on what actually triggers it. Been attempting and I’m wondering if it’s (ALSO) triggered by a event (like people try a turn) or a time event (ignore for X minutes or away for X turns)…

imported_gcamp
    Participant

Thanks, Ill have a look. Also be aware that depending on your settings the windows behind may get less CPU cycles so the maps may take (a lot?) longer to generate.

Wowbagger
    Participant

I’ve had this problem a couple times too. once when my scheduled antivirus program started running, it minimized scorched and then when i opened it back up it said client socket closed. (which never happened in v39) after refreshing games list it would show me still in the room and kick me again when i tried to log back in. And also when someone sent me an instant message(aol) it did the same thing.

What really sucked is the one game I had a great game going and when i got back in my kills and money were reset. 🙁

NoMoreSteve
    Participant

I can’t say I’ve ever had the problem. That is, until I started copying DVD’s to put onto my Treo 650. It’s a program I use called PocketDVD studio for Palm devices.

What it does is it takes my DVD’s and converts them to smaller .avi files. i can take a DVD and convert it down to about 300MB’s. But this is getting off of the subject.

Anyway, I was converting a DVD while playing Scorch this afternoon and noticed that what would normally take 45 minutes to convert a movie would take nearly 2 hours to do. Now, when i would toggle back and forth from the software to Scorch, I did notice a I was getting keep-alive warnings. I think Gavin may be on to something with the cpu cycles being pulled away from Scorch and onto what ever it was you had open over the top of Scorch.

Let this be a lesson to us all. Scorch is a jealous game. It doesn’t want to share resources at all. 😉

Willis
    Participant

That may be why I could not force it into presenting itself..

From what I recal.. I did have CoolEditPro (music-editing program I like to speedup/slowdown the music i listen to.. adds a lil twist) and Photoshop running (working in this program with my freetime) .. as well the traditional internet explorer browser window(s)… along with Scorched.

I have a 1024 ram and 256mb ATI MOBILITY RADEON X600 (dedicated) .. but still 3 fat pigs fighting over the same troff.

However when I was running my tests I didn’t have that stuff, I went on the assumption that it was a scorched-only issue. I spent about a half hour in spectator mode ignoring the game and didnt get removed.

Again another however.. I don’t really think all times (based on the idea of probability) .. were when I was intensely process hogged.

And I know not every time was when I was loading up a new game, as there have been once or twice when I was removed while alive receiving missed-turn alerts (NOT to be mistaken with kicked because of missed turns).

.. But I might just be wrong about the processer payload probability theory..

NoMoreSteve
    Participant

@willis wrote:

Again another however.. I don’t really think all times (based on the idea of probability) .. were when I was intensely process hogged.

And I know not every time was when I was loading up a new game, as there have been once or twice when I was removed while alive receiving missed-turn alerts (NOT to be mistaken with kicked because of missed turns).

.. But I might just be wrong about the processer payload..

Actually, I think you’re quite right about the cpu load. I can repeat the problem you were having if I bring my dvd recorder to the forefront of scorch. Granted, I don’t do this when there are a lot of people in the game. After all, I do want to get the kills. 😉

hobbesme
    Participant

@nomoresteve wrote:

Let this be a lesson to us all. Scorch is a jealous game. It doesn’t want to share resources at all. 😉

Scorched3D like many applications consumes as much CPU processing resources as it is allowed.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.