This topic contains 62 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  BOY 11 years, 2 months ago.

• Author

jdog
    Participant

Now that Admin status is listed by our user name can it be broken down to if the person is a game, forum or both?

BOY
    Participant

backtracking

@myself wrote:

I have actually felt that the general forum has greatly slowed the amount of useful posts in the other forums.

just to be clear here, I say this to mean. cbx, your fears are already true, everyone mostly DOES already post in the “chit chat” forum.

Flash quesiton.

lets say that a forum was created just for chat, and discussion of pointless stats and stupid shots and other random things for dumb stuff like we’ve never seen before.

Now lets say it began to dwarf the size of the development forums, which were still around, growing little by little like they always did.

What would be the problem with that??

Willis
    Participant

@cbx550f wrote:

@deathstryker wrote:

I just don’t see a large benefit in changing the forums. I honestly don’t think it’d bring anyone new to the forums. To do that, you’d have to throw out all of us weird people (including the pink g-string wearing man) first so they don’t feel awkward about posting.

When I read DS’s comment, it meant, to me, that people may feel intimidated somewhat by the “tightly knit community” and not post. Not that they are not welcome, but they might be somewhat daunted by the obvious closeness of the “common posters”. It was not meant as “we fear new people”, but actually, as “new people may fear us”. lol
    Please correct me if I’m mistaken, DS. 🙂

cbx

Ok read again what DS said between ( ) …. “new people may fear us” .. ??? … CAN YOU BLAME THEM? 😆

But ok, I avoided this topic the past couple days as I thought by the title it was a generic open-closed discussion.. how stupid I was.

I like the idea of having a “support” forum, always got someone asking questions or toubleshooting their graphics cards.

Some sort of “non-scorched discussion” is ok, I suppose, better then putting it into scorched discussion forums 😛

Maybe a “WIKI MANAGEMENT” forum (see new “FAQ and Wiki team” topic)…

Nothing more!!! I know for FACT that vastly large forums are bad, I have seen forums become crippled and eventually needing to be trimmed because of this. These types of boards not only feel odd to new and vetern members because people simply are uncertain “where the importance lies”.. they also suffer from having rarity of posts.. one post in each board every couple weeks. Which drasticly makes the boards feel slow and dead.

We don’t need a “trash” forum because what’s deleted is deleted for a reason, and I think anything “old and retired” can stay where it currently is.

One thing I’d like to see is a return of the IRC. Bring up a webpage that has interface to the IRC channel, so people don’t have to download mIRC or some other application, they can merely open the page in a new browser and start interacting with other people.

People like to chat… and there are a lot of times when people don’t wanna have a forum conversation or have to converse in-game. IRC I think didn’t hit it off because nobody wants to take the time to aquire yet another peice of software to connect, or bother remembering to launch the application hoping someone is there.

Oh and.. regarding Gavin’s attention to game vs outside-game work….
    He’s gotta real life (i think), a job (i hope 😉 ), a game to design, a forum to read (including PMs), and a forum to modify. Not to mention eat sleep and basic human needs… HE’S BUSY!

I can see Gavin right now ATTEMPTING to read all of this stuff and laughing his a$$ off thinking “you guys have no idea!”.

What else was being addressed in this topic??… so many posts and opinions I’ve ALREADY lost track of what people were commenting about!

Spectrum
    Participant

The maon issue of this thread seems to be is that Gavin is to BUSY to make any changes! Is he the only 1 that can twik this site? If that’s the case then isn’t this WHOLE THREAD POINTLESS, cause he may not have the time to change the site, IF he even wants to??????

parasti
    Participant

Well, isn’t even HAVING a website pointless then?

naka
    Participant

What about adding
    – humor forum

many funny things happened here 😀 😆

Brain Damage
    Participant

First of all nobody but gavin himself can decide if he is too busy enought to apply any changes, or if any of those changes whorts to be applied.
    This is not a pointaless discussion, this is an open discussion on what could or not be made to make the forums/website a bit better, gavin is free to do what he wants, he can totally ignore this thread, but i belive that some good ideas are pointed out, and the tones are very civil & contructive. Even if gavin doesn’t have time/will to apply any changes now, he may have in the future, this discussion will stay in the message boards, if he will be interestied he will have opinions from many people in the community, so no it’s not pointless, and everything that needs/could be made, doesn’t need to be applied instantly.

BigBear
    Participant

@spectrum wrote:

The maon issue of this thread seems to be is that Gavin is to BUSY to make any changes! Is he the only 1 that can twik this site? If that’s the case then isn’t this WHOLE THREAD POINTLESS, cause he may not have the time to change the site, IF he even wants to??????

I do not agree at all. So far the main issue has been that some people feel that there is something missing to these forums while others think things are perfect as they are. Considering that this is the first discussion in a while that has stayed as a discussion instead of a spam fest makes it anything BUT pointless. Personally I think finally having a civil debate is a progress in itself.

@parasti wrote:

Well, isn’t even HAVING a website pointless then?

Well said!

@willis wrote:

Oh and.. regarding Gavin’s attention to game vs outside-game work….
    He’s gotta real life (i think), a job (i hope Wink ), a game to design, a forum to read (including PMs), and a forum to modify. Not to mention eat sleep and basic human needs… HE’S BUSY!

I can see Gavin right now ATTEMPTING to read all of this stuff and laughing his a$$ off thinking “you guys have no idea!”.

Am I to understand that the likes of myself (not beeing a developer and “only” been a member for just over a year) are to shut up and let others with “better insight” decide what is important for the game and or the community? As far as Gavin’s opinion on this kind of issues I’ll not accept anything less than his own words. If he isn’t interested in the opinions about the game/community from others than a select few (which i seriously doubt and sincerely hope is not the case) he can simply say so and it’ll be over and done with.

@naka wrote:

What about adding
    – humor forum

many funny things happened here

It seems to me that would fit in a “General talk” section just fine.

Finally about the concerns of an overdeveloped forum. I don’t think anyone wants or even considered having 20 forums here. 2-3 new ones would suffice just fine and would not as I see it have any effect on the current usefulness of the forums.
    @boy wrote:

lets say that a forum was created just for chat, and discussion of pointless stats and stupid shots and other random things for dumb stuff like we’ve never seen before.

Now lets say it began to dwarf the size of the development forums, which were still around, growing little by little like they always did.

What would be the problem with that??

Here here!

BOY
    Participant

Bear, about hearing directly from gavin, you raise a good issue there. One thing I have seen is that if anything we admins have said is incorrect he is typically quick to correct us.

He lets us speak for him, err, indirectly. He has never directly said he’s “too busy”. He has said he’s got “alot to do”. Insomuch as he’s just one guy, I think it is reasonable for us to assume he is very busy. In addition, he has told us so several times regarding bugs and features he wants to add.

He picks and chooses what he wants to tackle and when, he lets the admins ward off pointless ideas. That seems to be the way its been. He’s come along and made a change in a day without warning, and other times he goes back and implements an idea from months ago. He’s just like that.

I think he’s read whats goin on here and in the middle of this discussion, notice he added (Admin) to our forum titles. He’s begin to tinker with the site already. He also added the “next page” idea immediately.

I think he does care about site development, and I think he simply lets the community talk about/decide what the site needs. If its doable, he does it.

My point is, too busy or not. I think he likes it when we (admins) assume this. It keeps him ahead of the game. As if that were possible 😛

Ebonite
    Participant

Also keep in mind he’s married. Props to the wife for putting up with him.

BigBear
    Participant

@boy wrote:

He picks and chooses what he wants to tackle and when, he lets the admins ward off pointless ideas.

I guess my problem is that I feel that some people seem to think they know best when it comes to decide what constitutes a ‘pointless idea’. Obviosly Gavin is going to do what he wants in any case but it bothers me when some people try to act as some sort of shield between him and the community. By all means there is nothing wrong with mentioning that Gavin is busy, but in my opinion that is sometimes used by some as an implication that we shouldn’t even ask. That’s not cool with me. There are different needs and wants in this community (at least nowdays) and I don’t think it is right to state that your own concerns or interests are more important than those others might have.

Regarding this topic a timeline or state of urgency hasn’t even been suggested. Noone asked Gavin to drop everything else to change the forums. These are suggestions that could if accepted (by Gavin I suppose) be implemented whenever, not necessarily right now. Personally I’d like to see some implemented rather sooner than later, but that is not my call and I can live with that.

Willis
    Participant

@bigbear wrote:

Am I to understand that the likes of myself (not beeing a developer and “only” been a member for just over a year) are to shut up and let others with “better insight” decide what is important for the game and or the community?

This is not what I said, at all!

Someone brought up in a comment how much attention he spends on the game VS the forums… All I was attempting to emply is don’t forget.. Gavin is human too. And we humans work on a measurment called time.

I guess my problem is that I feel that some people seem to think they know best when it comes to decide what constitutes a ‘pointless idea’.

1) We all think we know what’s best… wether we mention it or not. You may have idea’s that I disagree with, does that change, should that change, what you think? Apsolutely not!
    2) There’s no such thing as a ‘pointless idea’.

Bobirov
    Participant

@bigbear wrote:

I guess my problem is that I feel that some people seem to think they know best when it comes to decide what constitutes a ‘pointless idea’. Obviosly Gavin is going to do what he wants in any case but it bothers me when some people try to act as some sort of shield between him and the community.

Who’s trying to act as a shield here? All I have seen is people stating their opinions about this matter. Its not like anyone is trying to poke Gavin’s eyes out so he can’t read this material. Like Willis said, everyone has an opinion about issues such as this. And it is only natural to express those opinions. Its only natural that everyone is not going to be in agreement about something. 😛

No one is trying to shield anyone from any of this in my opinion.

BOY
    Participant

BB again has a valid point, although it is a side issue to the acutal ideas here. Regardless of whether anyone is actually intending to be a shield or ward off ideas. That really is precisely the effect of what is going on when an admin expresses an opposite view of somebody else. Each subsequent negative post with respect to any idea advocating change adds a certain insulation against that idea. THis is done simply by the very nature of expressing opinions. Certain people tend to carry more weight than others.

This is where the disconnect often begins in many discussions, and why i hear so often. “Its just my opinion”

Where I think Big Bear is wrong is that there certianly is an underlying sense of urgency about some of these ideas, even if a timeline is not being suggested.

Where Willis and Bob are certainly right (and there is no solution to this) is that we will never all agree, and we all think we are right! 😆

Isn’t it wonderful!

cbx550f
    Participant

Having thought about it more, I think I agree with the concept of an “offtopic” forum, changing the “Public Servers” forum to “Servers and Server Administration” (or similar), and maybe a “Help and Troublshooting” forum.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 64 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.