This topic contains 62 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  BOY 11 years ago.

• Author

BOY
    Participant

wanted you all’zz feedback on this.

Brain damage and I were discussing ways to organize the forums better the other day.

they seem kinda dead this week, so that prompted me to start this thread today. some of the ideas that come to mind as a result of the discussion are:

-a more ‘general’ General Forum.
    Would be nice if there was a better place just for general chat. The monumental spam topic is cool, but only for a few people. More people might join in if it wasn’t such an oversized monster crammed into one post. the lead spammer doesn’t even spam anymore!

any other ideas out there?
    -A forum dedicated for Linux and Mac users
    might be small, but useful place for them. There are alot of usefull topics that are scattered around about this.

-A forum dedicated for help with graphics and other problems or ‘troubleshooting’ requests. There are MANY MANY of these, Some of which could probably be added to the FAQ section.

-A forum dedicated only for gameplay discussion. (might even be good to combine this with game admin forum – I really hate that forum.)

Brain Damage
    Participant

ok i would like to add to suggest the following things:

– take off the polls from the forums, make them the results displayed only, now edit the game and add the possibility for the admins of the server to add polls in the welcome screen, this way you can have feedback from the people who PLAYS, for making a poll effective i’d suggest to requies like 1/3 or 1/2 of the ACTIVE players (active players = players that played at least 2-3 hours in the last month), the poll will ONLY display limited choices and will contain the link with the poll in the forums to discuss it, the players will use they’re unique id to being identified

– my personal opinion about the faq is that is pretty much a bit useless, if you see almost nobody reads it, my suggest to you would be to delete the faq section and move the content to the wiki

– add the possibility for major of the people to edit the wiki with a forum account (maybe if you want a bit filtering before an edit/post will become diplayed it needs to be read & approved by a wiki revision team)

– add in the forum profile add the title “official server admin” or “forum admin”, to make the things more clear, since the usergroups list is pretty much ignored by most of the people

Brain Damage
    Participant

more:

-add a forum “trash can” every post deleted will be automatically copied there, when a post gets edited a copy of the original will be copied there too, you can either set that visible to all people with topics automatically locked or visible to admins only

BOY
    Participant

that ability we have in a way, only by first splitting the post by itself, then moving it somewhere.

Deathstryker
    Participant

I vote for no change. I like the way the forums are now. They are manageable and Gavin kind’ve needs to focus his attention on the game, in my opinion.

Spectrum
    Participant

As far as Gavin needing no more on his plate, i agree. NOW on this forum redesign, I love the idea!

BigBear
    Participant

Updating the forums seems like a very good idea to me. 🙂

* ‘General’ general forum (Off topic) – Very good idea (I even suggested it myself recently 😯 ) . A place for people to discuss this and that even if they don’t have Skype. 😛

* Troubleshooting – I like this one too since those topics are quite common and hard to place at the moment.

* Gameplay discussion – Seems like a suitable counterpart to Off topic for game related discussions. I think Game admin should be left intact though. Otherwise those topics will pop up elsewhere where they don’t belong.

* In game polls – Loving it! After more than a year in this community I still haven’t seen a poll about something important getting even a half descent number of votes. This would be an excellent way to get input from people that might not frequent the forums but actually play the game often.

* Wiki – Very nice.

* Suggestion (Feedback forum) – How about a place where suggestions and feedback about the forums can be posted and debated over?

@deathstryker wrote:

I vote for no change. I like the way the forums are now. They are manageable and Gavin kind’ve needs to focus his attention on the game, in my opinion.

As I see it the current forums might as well be called admin-developers-and-a-select-few-only-forums. There are a lot of people that play the game often but for some reason(s) never show up here. I’d like to change that.

I’d really like to see lots of opinions on this topic. Even if you don’t have new suggestions guys, voice your opinion on the ones already made so we can get something done here. Go go go! 🙂

BOY
    Participant

@deathstryker wrote:

They are manageable, I agree. Sometimes things are what they are, but take for instance the post above this one right now. “Building scorched in windows” it doesn’t quite fit in general. The stickys would probably best fit in some kind of gameplay forum – very common for a game site.

I do agree that the #1 guy is needed for the game – probably exclusively. I wasn’t really advocating Gavin spend much time on this issue, I thought adding a forum or two wouldn’t be that hard really.
    (Cant say for sure about Brain Damages suggestions 😕 ) I simply didn’t know if everyont thought it was a useful idea.

This raises a rather poignant issue. Remember when Gavin added the feature requests section? It was batted around for a while, and when it was finally done, the section exploded. I’d have to say that that section was at least a year late in coming. Gavin has said recently he could need someone to manage the forums for him, but he’d probly be sad to lose control. THis is his baby after all. 🙂 In this regard, I think for the sake of not letting things get to the point that the request section got, perhaps another programmer is needed for the site? It depends I suppose on the longevity of the development of his project. As far as control goes, there’s no reason why Gavin must lose control if someone did his programming for him at the site. I doubt that it would take a whole lot of time, but whoever it might be should do it for free. we already have adds for pete’s sake!

about the in game polls idea, I see how it would be useful, however I dont think programming wise it would be a practical use of time. just a guess, but sounds like tieing it into the forums would be hard to do.

Brain Damage
    Participant

well i pointed some suggestions since i have the feeling that something is wrong, sometimes i chat a bit during the game and when i meantion forums i hear answers like “huh?” or “i don’t like forums”, games & forums basically runs on 2 differents speeds and the forums are slower, look at the players in beginner’s & main on v39.1 or new v40, now look @ the registred accounts in the forums, you will notice a huge difference; also consider that the # of players gets resettied every version while the forums no.
    now in my toughts i don’t think that something should stay “frozen”, i pointed some suggestions that i belive whould help making a bit more “user-friendly” but if someone else would come out with another idea it will be welcome, at least the forums won’t stay fossilized as they are

i know the final goal is the game, i totally agree with that, but forums were created to give feedback, support, discuss about the game and more, but if only a fraction of the people uses them then they become nothing else then pointless chat

@boy wrote:

about the in game polls idea, I see how it would be useful, however I dont think programming wise it would be a practical use of time. just a guess, but sounds like tieing it into the forums would be hard to do.

actually both things supports mysql databases, and already the game contains a code that reads/writes in the forums (it’s for auth a player but it’s never beens used as far as i know), so it wouldn’t be too hard to implement

BOY
    Participant

in that case, that would be a sweet idea.

parasti
    Participant

@deathstryker wrote:

Gavin kind’ve needs to focus his attention on the game, in my opinion.

Isn’t that a bit selfish?

BOY
    Participant

@parasti wrote:

@deathstryker wrote:

I dont think selfish is quite accurate, but “one track mind” could fit.

He has huge post count, mostly related to …. game development and new graphics and code and so forth. he’s helped out in many areas and knows the forums well enough get in and out quickly, he probably logs on knowing exactly where he wants to look. However he doesn’t play online much. This place is probaly like his own car or his bedroom. He knows where it all is, why make the bed or clean off the desk? 😉

everyone needs to take a step back and look at it from someone elses angle sometimes.

parasti
    Participant

@boy wrote:

@parasti wrote:

@deathstryker wrote:

I dont think selfish is quite accurate, but “one track mind” could fit.

He has huge post count, mostly related to …. game development and new graphics and code and so forth. he’s helped out in many areas and knows the forums well enough get in and out quickly, he probably logs on knowing exactly where he wants to look. However he doesn’t play online much. This place is probaly like his own car or his bedroom. He knows where it all is, why make the bed or clean off the desk? 😉

everyone needs to take a step back and look at it from someone elses angle sometimes.

I mean, from comments like the one Deathstryker’s posted I get the impression that gcamp is getting paid for developing this game. Really, as if there’s a deadline and paying customers and all that. But he’s working on it in his free time and there are no customers and no deadline. The game isn’t going to go away if he turns away from it for a moment. Actually, since this is an open source project this game won’t probably ever go away.

Also, as an open source project, it is supposed to be a community effort. With a community like this, having someone else manage the website should be no problem.

BOY
    Participant

point well taken.

Deathstryker
    Participant

@parasti wrote:

@deathstryker wrote:

No. The reason why I say that is because, it’s kind’ve hard on him to have to keep track of doing both the forums and the game…. He can do whatever he likes but I just don’t see much of a benefit in changing the forums as I do fixing a bug in the game.

You haven’t even seen the requests he gets in the private forum right now while we’re testing the version 40.1 beta (on top of the ones he gets in the feature request section). I think he’s trying to get that out the door right now but you know he never says no to anyone’s requests which is what I like about him and I believe everyone (including me) takes advantage of that sometimes. But that also causes him to be very busy where Scorched is concerned which is another reason why I kind’ve frown on the requests for the forum to change. My main disagreement is pretty much priority hand in hand with benefit. I’ll let him decide what the priority should be but he’s been saying that he wants to get version 40.1 out the door and I just don’t see a large benefit in changing the forums. I honestly don’t think it’d bring anyone new to the forums. To do that, you’d have to throw out all of us weird people (including the pink g-string wearing man) first so they don’t feel awkward about posting. 😀

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 64 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.