This topic contains 17 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Rommel 9 years, 8 months ago.

  • Author
    Posts
  • #6361

    Deathstryker
    Participant

    I was wondering Gavin, if you could allow the forum to scale accordingly to the width of one’s browser window.

    Those that have widescreen monitors will notice severely how much space is wasted on the right side when there could be text there which would allow us to not have to vertically scroll so much.

    Here’s a PHPBB site I was on the other day that allows this:

    http://forum.rpc1.org/index.php

    If you window your browser, you’ll see how it scales automatically to fit the whole browser window.

    Can this be done with this forum, Gav?

    #50264

    Thrax
    Participant

    With a lot of poking of many small files, it could be..
    I did the inverse for my phpbb code, to fit it a bit better in the
    themed templates I use.

    However, how many folks really use thier browsers at full-screen in
    wide-screen. Most are using the space for other apps along side.

    I always format my posts to wrap most effectively for my view so that
    the words aren’t trying to scroll 40 paces to the right, requiring a bottom
    scroll-bar to see them all.

    #50265

    Laptops Daddy
    Participant

    : ) i know a bit about that kind of thing. html, css code and such.

    im pretty sure thats one liner.

    if you save the html from the page here, search for width=700 and replace the 700 with say, 95%. i think that would do it.

    it was about line 444 when i looked. (doesnt have a css id)

    : ) havent seen the perl code, but i doubt the edit would be any more complicated. ‘course, the issue is browser compatibility, this being a cross platform game and all. id be scared to change it if it was me : )

    #50266

    Deathstryker
    Participant

    @thrax wrote:

    With a lot of poking of many small files, it could be..
    I did the inverse for my phpbb code, to fit it a bit better in the
    themed templates I use.

    However, how many folks really use thier browsers at full-screen in
    wide-screen. Most are using the space for other apps along side.

    I always format my posts to wrap most effectively for my view so that
    the words aren’t trying to scroll 40 paces to the right, requiring a bottom
    scroll-bar to see them all.

    Yes, but the way I’m talking, A bottom (horizontal) scroll bar will never be needed (unless big pictures are posted) because when you make it windowed mode, the text automatically wraps down on the next line instead of going off the page.

    #50267

    Rommel
    Participant

    Good idea.@deathstryker wrote:

    I was wondering Gavin, if you could allow the forum to scale accordingly to the width of one’s browser window.

    Those that have widescreen monitors will notice severely how much space is wasted on the right side when there could be text there which would allow us to not have to vertically scroll so much.

    Here’s a PHPBB site I was on the other day that allows this:

    http://forum.rpc1.org/index.php

    If you window your browser, you’ll see how it scales automatically to fit the whole browser window.

    Can this be done with this forum, Gav?

    The new version of PHBB (version 3) has been out for sometime. I reported this on the day it was released. There was no interest. Always interested in a challange, I have an idea that I’ll present in my next post that should work as a temporary work-around until a more proper fix can be implemented.

    Rommel

    #50268

    Rommel
    Participant

    This should help.@deathstryker wrote:

    I was wondering Gavin, if you could allow the forum to scale accordingly to the width of one’s browser window.

    Those that have widescreen monitors will notice severely how much space is wasted on the right side when there could be text there which would allow us to not have to vertically scroll so much.

    Here’s a PHPBB site I was on the other day that allows this:

    http://forum.rpc1.org/index.php

    If you window your browser, you’ll see how it scales automatically to fit the whole browser window.

    Can this be done with this forum, Gav?

    Let me know something.

    Rommel

    Recent edit: Removed spacer bar so the page will display as designed at 800 x 600.

    #50269

    Rommel
    Participant

    That strip shoulld be 800×1 instead of 800×25 and could be made to whatever width you want and then put into the webpage header I believe.

    #50270

    Rommel
    Participant

    Instead of adding an additional graphic, like the one I sent for a temporary stretch:@laptops Daddy wrote:

    : ) i know a bit about that kind of thing. html, css code and such.

    im pretty sure thats one liner.

    if you save the html from the page here, search for width=700 and replace the 700 with say, 95%. i think that would do it.

    it was about line 444 when i looked. (doesnt have a css id)

    : ) havent seen the perl code, but i doubt the edit would be any more complicated. ‘course, the issue is browser compatibility, this being a cross platform game and all. id be scared to change it if it was me : )

    If you go to line number 299 you’ll find the following code:







    Perhaps I don’t understand the code tag. 😕 I’m pretty sure I’ve had code display properly in the past. Is it me?

    Anyway, look for the second instance of /buttons/vdivider1.jpg
    and note the image size (currently 640×1).

    I feel certain that the divider bar width tag can be modified to make the screen whatever width you find appropriate without editing the graphic and without fear of causing any cross platform issues. If you wanted to move the word “forums” as you stretch the page you could modify the first instance of the divider bar to accomplish that as you see fit.

    Rommel

    #50271

    Deathstryker
    Participant

    The problem with using the bar though is when you make the browser windowed, it creates as horizontal scroll bar rather than resize the template.

    I’m sure there’s some code somewhere that would allow the forum to adjust dynamically to the width of the browser window.

    #50272

    Rommel
    Participant

    Yes, it does that because the graphic forces the size. The view window percentage method LTD mentioned would be the way to force the text window to always remain slightly smaller than the view window.

    @deathstryker wrote:

    The problem with using the bar though is when you make the browser windowed, it creates as horizontal scroll bar rather than resize the template.

    I’m sure there’s some code somewhere that would allow the forum to adjust dynamically to the width of the browser window.

    I’ve seen a couple of recent posts from Brain Damaged today, perhaps he’s in charge of the PHBB software and can make the change for you.

    If not, surely Gavin would know who can. 😉

    Good luck,

    Rommel

    #50273

    Deathstryker
    Participant

    @rommel wrote:

    Yes, it does that because the graphic forces the size. The view window percentage method LTD mentioned would be the way to force the text window to always remain slightly smaller than the view window.

    @deathstryker wrote:

    The problem with using the bar though is when you make the browser windowed, it creates as horizontal scroll bar rather than resize the template.

    I’m sure there’s some code somewhere that would allow the forum to adjust dynamically to the width of the browser window.

    I’ve seen a couple of recent posts from Brain Damaged today, perhaps he’s in charge of the PHBB software and can make the change for you.

    If not, surely Gavin would know who can. 😉

    Good luck,

    Rommel

    As far as website changes go, I believe Gavin is the only one that has access to actually make the changes. But he also seems to warmly welcome anyone that wants to give him these changes.

    #50274

    Rommel
    Participant

    Hi LapTops Daddy:

    Thank you for answering my question about the code tag.

    You are correct. I misunderstood Deathstryker’s original request.@laptops Daddy wrote:

    @rommel wrote:

    Is it me?

    Anyway, look for the second instance of /buttons/vdivider1.jpg
    and note the image size (currently 640×1).

    I feel certain that the divider bar width tag can be modified to make the screen whatever width you find appropriate without editing the graphic and without fear of causing any cross platform issues. If you wanted to move the word “forums” as you stretch the page you could modify the first instance of the divider bar to accomplish that as you see fit.

    Rommel

    i think it’s you, rom : P

    who the uses jpg for spacers? wasn’t the request for scaleable width, not fxed. and why would you use spacers to force width? (rhetorical, you don’t need to answer. i wont bore you with why you wouldn’t ; )

    the only way to make it scaleable is with a percentage width. (‘less you want to use css float. big can of worms : )

    You should see a post to that effect (preceeding this one) where I also mentioned that you were correct about using percentage for a scalable window. I didn’t conceed you correct on the cross platform issues, as I don’t believe that would pose a problem. To the best of my knowledge, the HTML standard still requires browser code to be browser code across all platforms.

    In my defense, I can only say that, considering the importance of the subject matter discussed here, I suppose that on first reading, I wrongly assumed that (like me) everyone ALWAYS reads the forum in a full screen window. 😳

    That being the case, a space bar would have been an easy solution that wouldn’t require the intensive tweaking to mulitlpe files that Thrax mentioned or cause the cross platform issues that you mentioned which you both indicated should be avoided.

    “who the uses jpg for spacers?” Sonny, when I starting building web sites we coded every line by hand. We didn’t have Hot Dog and cascading style sheets. We had Word Perfect for DOS. As for browsers, we had Mosaic, and later Netscape Navigator. Those were the glory days boy, Compuserve, blinking fonts and “hyper” text, our world exploded. That was before Micro$oft started stomping everyone else out of existence with IE, Excell, Word, … Oh, sorry, I was drifting off on you. Suffice it to say, everyone use to do it only we didn’t use jpgs. We didn’t have jpgs, we had gifs. 😉

    Perhaps I’m wrong but I believe the method you question is currently being employed to force the minimum size of the text box you are now viewing. Apparently the width of the divider bar hasn’t been updated for larger screen sizes. The page (as I read the code) is designed to view best at a screen width resolution of 800. Try setting your display resolution to 800 x 600 and veiwing this page and I think you’ll get the idea. What I was suggesting was tweaking the divider to increase the optimal display width from 800 to 1024 thinking this would be more in line with todays standards.

    Apparently something has changed that I missed. That being the case, I assure you that I won’t be bored with your explaination and in fact, am most eager to learn. Please explain.

    Later,

    Rommel

    #50275

    Rommel
    Participant

    ATTENTION LAPTOPS DADDY:

    Hi:

    Someone deleted your post while I was composing my reply. Fortunately I quoted you. My reply would have made little sense otherwise.

    Later,

    Rommel

    #50276

    Laptops Daddy
    Participant

    : ) rommel. ty for the reply then, i guess. it was me that deleted it, after talking to u on the server.

    i read almost all of it. u think i use a wysiwyg editor? is that what u said? how insulting.

    no, the point with the spacers is that you would use gif (or png), not jpeg. jpg isnt appropriate. (colour values, file sizes and stuff).

    and when i said on the server that it seemed old fashioned, i meant html 4 with tables is old fashioned. im more used to xhtml. (and windows notepad would be plenty, for the record ; )

    #50277

    Rommel
    Participant

    From casual observation using a display resolution of 640 x 480:@deathstryker wrote:

    The problem with using the bar though is when you make the browser windowed, it creates as horizontal scroll bar rather than resize the template.

    I’m sure there’s some code somewhere that would allow the forum to adjust dynamically to the width of the browser window.

    It appears that the minimum (non-scrollable) width is dictated by the Scorched logo and the icons across the top of the page. Enlargement of the text box is not a problem as adaquately demonstrated by the various graphics files (presented in other threads) that have exceed 640 pixels in width.

    Reduction below the current minimum display size (aprrox. 800 pixels) would (IMHO) require that either the icons be downsized or wrapped. That not being suitable the Scorched logo could be moved to another line.

    The commercial ad banner at the top of the page may be a restriction that can not be overcome. If the contract terms require a mimimum size (seems logical) a breech of contract may result if the software tries to reduce the banner below the limit. Not having access to the terms, this is something you should most likely discuss with the staff attorney before proceeding.

    Somewhat seriously,

    Rommel

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.