This topic contains 44 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Panther30 9 years, 6 months ago.

• Author

parasti
    Participant

@black-rose wrote:

All i have to say is: we already lost a bunch of regular/good/friend players, mostly cause of Rommel and his stupid way to think

This is bullshit. The fact is simple and you have already demonstrated it openly: you hate dirt (and you’re talking about a “stupid way to think”?), and you will say anything about those who don’t hate dirt.

kowal
    Participant

although i don’t like the dirt + laser tactic, the servers rule is FFA (http://www.scorched3d.co.uk/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=5192). so Black-Rose, IMHO rommel is entitled to use any weapons/defense he wants. but i rather play in other server (preferably mcb server 🙂 ) rather than play with rommel on main.

so my vote goes to either raise dirt base price / lower batts price

TraT
    Participant

Rommel

You misunderstood my comment about playing 1 vs 1 against a dirter. I said I would win most rounds against a dirter (someone who self-dirted), not necessarily against The Dirter (you apparently). The point of dirting yourself is to hide and hope that everyone else kills each other and runs out of time before they get to you. The only good time to self dirt in a 1 vs 1 battle is if you are below your target and are a good laserer, otherwise its useless (except maybe against a total noob who can’t aim). However, with 3 or more people playing, it can make sense to hide under dirt and just wait (or shoot some tanks w/ lasers if you can). The problem is that the cost is too low for the chance of winning a round while doing nothing. Hence, the “cheating” aspect. If the price were raised, I think that a lot less people would think it was “cheating” because you had to pay for your shield like everyone else.

Besides, dirt is boring: Who wants to play a game where you get to shoot missiles, hogs, napalm, rollers, nukes, MIRVs, frogs, funkies, or DHs (all w/ varying tactics, plus all the Mod weapons) and you choose to bury yourself w/ dirt and just wait there?

Rommel
    Participant

Hi Trat:

No, I didn’t misunderstand at all and that is not what you said.@trat wrote:

Rommel

You misunderstood my comment about playing 1 vs 1 against a dirter. I said I would win most rounds against a dirter (someone who self-dirted), not necessarily against The Dirter (you apparently).

This is what you said:@trat wrote:

If I was playing 1 on 1 against a dirter it would be very easy and I would win each round, but most games have far more people in them at a time.

You made a claim that hardly anyone would be able to back up and I called you on it. Fortunately, it really doesn’t matter what we say here for the most part but you might want to heed this as a warning and try to choose your words more carefully when you are writting or being recorded. Rash statements have a tendency of coming back to haunt all of us and when they do it’s generally at the worst possible time. 😉

In light of your most recent statement, it seems that Chopper is next in line on the kill the dirter challange list. How about it Chopper, feeling froggy, I am?

Ooops, last round is starting … gotta run.

Rommel

Laptops Daddy
    Participant

@rommel wrote:

@trat wrote:

If I was playing 1 on 1 against a dirter it would be very easy and I would win each round…

i agree with trat on that. a self-dirter woudlnt stand a chance. (‘suming the other player is wise to it and isnt averse to shogging/funking/rolling the bastage).

im sure thats bean proven, rom. hasnt it? : )

i vote 6750. dirt is useless. best itll do for you is win 1 or 2 of the early rounds at the expense of kills, and make you a target for the rest of the game.

should probably clarify, at risk of rommel… im talking regular, consistent self-dirt.

as a one-off, its almost a legitimate defence – you might get away with it.

BigBear
    Participant

I really don’t see the problem tbh. The dirt/laser combo was never something that I was very fond of, but then again it was never that good a tactic to begin with. Looking at the stats it still doesn’t look all that impressive in terms of kill ratio and round/game wins afaIc.

I have to say WOW Black-Rose, that was some load of BS you unleashed right there. If I was you I’d stop the name calling/whining/crying like a baby and start working on my anti dirter tactics instead.

bazzz
    Participant

Dirt and lasers are in the game, i dont see how thats cheating.Even if the common perception is that it is cheating or cowardly,which i think is incorrect, it doesnt violate any rules im aware of.

Humans are funny animals, if they percieve behaviour that gives others an advantage they might feel its unfair and stop thinking right there.
    This often results in behaviour that could be counter productive for their own cause. Irrational actions(as percieved by me) ,branding actions like dirting as cheating, ridiculing opponents(my apologies to Rommel on the behalf of mankind for the way they treat you, but you cant blame them as they are only human,but emm… ,no need to tell you that as you probably know that,and you`re doing a great job defending .:wink: ) and not using the arguments that were raised.

I know current politics are a great source of inspiration to learn how to get things done but it is my belief that in the long run it will make people lose trust.

All i have to say is: we already lost a bunch of regular/good/friend players, mostly cause of Rommel and his stupid way to think, i stopped playing in 2004/05 cause of the dirt and really soon, i will stop again, whats the point to play a game with a bunch of selfish morons (moron = Dirter)! With Rommel pushing every noobs to use dirt (yup, he’s that stupid)…

Seriously, it’s time to do something about that f**k weapon! I understand Gavin that you want to keep the weapons and stuff as the original… but your S3D is played with other Humans… Dirt w/ laser is a big issue, always been! C’mon do something about that… and btw, dirt = A big blue shield … cause if you try to kill a self-dirter with bbm, well good luck, Rommel won a bunch of rounds only by dirting himself and skipping until everyone killed each other or round 12! The guys doesn’t care if the other player have fun or not, he likes pissing off people with dirt and lasers (In my head, Rommel = Cartman hehe)!

Manure like this should make you feel a little ashamed(unless you`re a 13year old,then there was still a chance that you learn),if you think this will help to convince anyone here to help you change anything it could well be that you`re mistaken,I regard the intelligence of this community higher than that. 😛

Too much talk,i have to go now.Uncontrolable urge to dirt myself, laser whining players,skipping and resigning,count squares, use fuel and teleport to just get away for your *perfect* shot,crawl under your shield,hog,funky,kill myself,and anything i can think of to play this game the best i can without feeling im cheating. 😈

Btw is there anyone who doesnt like cartman? You funny people!

Rommel
    Participant

Hi Bazzz:

Thank you for not being too harsh on Molson and for the kind words directed toward me. It’s always a pleasure to find one of your posts but playing against you is better still so don’t be a stranger on the Advanced FFA server.@bazzz wrote:

Dirt and lasers are in the game, i dont see how thats cheating.Even if the common perception is that it is cheating or cowardly,which i think is incorrect, it doesnt violate any rules im aware of.

Btw is there anyone who doesnt like cartman? You funny people!

Molson’s statement that he thinks I’m Cartman left me totally astounded but it made me laugh so I let it slide. Due to his post and the game logs I’ve been reading the past few days, I’ve been wondering which of the South Park characters he’s trying to portray. As often as I get killed, I once thought about switching to the Kenny tank and changing my name and avatar but considering that Kenny dies without kicking up a fuss, I rejected that idea as being utterly absurd for a war game.

“Do not go gentle into that good night,
    Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
    Rage, rage against the dying of the light.”
    Dylan Thomas

Storm’d at with shot and shell,
    Boldly they rode and well,
    Into the jaws of Death,
    Into the mouth of Hell
    Rode the … Hey, that’s not the six hundred,
    It’s that crazy man … Rom L !!! – My Apologies to Alfred, Lord Tennyson

Take Care Friend,

Rommel
    AKA – Rom L

TraT
    Participant

Rommel,

Classic debating technique, focus on one little thing in your opponents argument (1 v 1 against a dirter) and ignore the rest of the points. You even challenged me to a Duel, LOL (as if the outcome of the Duel would prove who was right, and btw there are only a handful of players that I think I wouldn’t have a good chance of winning against and you are not on that list). So continue your smokescreens and your 3 page responses but don’t answer the questions. I was going to say that you should change your name to Goebbels but that would just incur a 5 page response on that and not on if you honestly think that self dirting is not a shield and should be priced as one.

Rommel
    Participant

Dear TraT:

This is the second time you have indicated that no one has answered your question, after I posted the answer you sought. Therefore, it appears that you either failed to read my reply because it was too long for your level of comprehension, or you failed to comprehend what you read because it was too long. 😛

@trat wrote:

Rommel,

Classic debating technique, focus on one little thing in your opponents argument (1 v 1 against a dirter) and ignore the rest of the points. You even challenged me to a Duel, LOL (as if the outcome of the Duel would prove who was right, and btw there are only a handful of players that I think I wouldn’t have a good chance of winning against and you are not on that list). So continue your smokescreens and your 3 page responses but don’t answer the questions. I was going to say that you should change your name to Goebbels but that would just incur a 5 page response on that and not on if you honestly think that self dirting is not a shield and should be priced as one.

Please read it (again ?) and if you fail to comprehend what I wrote, use this short answer instead:

Dirt is not a shield. If it were, you would be utilizing dirt instead of more expensive shields.

The rest of your post is not worthy of a reply except to say this:

You made a ridiculous claim and I called you on it. Then you lied about what you wrote and I called you on that as well. However, if you will READ what I wrote, you should see that I was not harsh with you even though my tolerance level for whinners and especially liars is very low.

For future reference:

I am not going to keep the gloves on while someone takes wild swings at me using bare knuckles (even if they never connect). Thus, your choices at this point are:

1. Put on your gloves and be civil.
      2. Be prepared for bare knuckles.

One of the saddest lessons of history is this: If we’ve been bamboozled long enough, we tend to reject any evidence of the bamboozle. The bamboozle has captured us. Once you give a charlatan power over you, you almost never get it back.Carl Sagan

I’ve thrown off the shackles some of you so-called “players” have tried to bind us with and I will only play the game the way it was designed to be played. If you have a problem with that, I’m not sure what you are, but I am sure that you aren’t a player.

Sincerely,

Rommel

Rommel
    Participant

To All:

This post seemed a liitle confusing. Hopefully you understand and will thus pardon the tardiness of my reply.@laptops Daddy wrote:

@rommel wrote:

@trat wrote:

If I was playing 1 on 1 against a dirter it would be very easy and I would win each round…

i agree with trat on that. a self-dirter woudlnt stand a chance. (‘suming the other player is wise to it and isnt averse to shogging/funking/rolling the bastage).

im sure thats bean proven, rom. hasnt it? : )

i vote 6750. dirt is useless. best itll do for you is win 1 or 2 of the early rounds at the expense of kills, and make you a target for the rest of the game.

should probably clarify, at risk of rommel… im talking regular, consistent self-dirt.

as a one-off, its almost a legitimate defence – you might get away with it.

Although lap appears to begin by quoting me, actually he didn’t quote me at all, he quoted only TraT. This is poor form and should be avoided. He then says that he agrees with TraT’s ludicrous claim, yet ends the post by disagreeing with what he said in the beginning. Fortunately, his confusion does not seem to be contagious and has not prevented me from answering the question he posed.

The answer is no. TraT has denied making the statement lap quoted and now appears to be afraid to fight. Nothing has been proven with regard to backing up the statement but we are seeing a few other things being proven and/or disspelled. Firmly believing that enlightenment is a good thing, I remain hopeful.

However, since lap appears to have read TraT’s statement carefully and has publicly stated his agreement, then perhaps he will be the one to prove TraT right. While possible, I seriously doubt that he is up to the challange. If not, then perhaps he will make a post saying he has changed his mind. This is required to prevent future confusion. An acceptable retraction is better than saying you didn’t read the post, and much better than saying you didn’t say the things you are on the record as saying. These things have been proven, lap and I don’t think you’d want me to make a special effort to prove them again. Would you?

In any event, it is my sincere hope that lap will be the first to make the attempt too prove TraT correct. In fact, I will be most delighted to be his huckleberry and the sooner the better. The only condition I have stipulated is that we do this publicly for the reasons I previously stated.

Having nothing to hide and feeling certain that any true warrior would delight in the opportunity to prove themselves in front of the largest qroup possible, I anxiously await a warrior.

I must go destroy the world now. Krieg ohne Hass

Sincerely,

Generalfeldmarschall Erwin J. E. Rommel

Pssst, hey lap. Wipe your feet off dude. That stuff you stepped in stinks. – Cartman 😛

Panther30
    Participant

I didn’t read the last few posts because frankly, I got bored.

My thought is that dirt should remain at the price it is now. there is asurefire way (no pun intended) to defeat the self dirter and it takes all of two shots. I will relate the method here just to ruin the self-dirter’s means to win. but first, a little background on my method:

As you all may or may not know, I helped develop raptormod. I also ran a raptormod server for two years. I played there as well. This allowed me to learn alot of the weapons through using them as well as seeing them used.

One such weapon was the Volcano.

I mention the volcano here because it is applicable to this current “gripe fest”

how the volcano works is this: it is a ton of dirt with a small explosion that makes a hole at the peak of the mound, then the hole fills with napalm.

For those of you who don’t see how this applies here, there is a three step process to defeat the self-dirter.

step 1. the target covers themselves in dirt

step 2. the person trying to kill the target drops a missile or maybe a baby nuke into the peak of the target’s mound of dirt.

step 3. on the next shot, the person trying to kill the target drops a nalpalm or hot napalm into the hole in the top of the mound made in the preious step.

If these three steps are followed precisely the protective mound of dirt suddenly becomes a burial mound. (rommel should understand this firsthand since it happened to him by my paws a few days ago)

there now, if my steps are followed, the self dirter will find his tactic is not so favorable to him/her any longer.

—Panther

Panther30
    Participant

@bigbear wrote:

I have to say WOW Black-Rose, that was some load of BS you unleashed right there. If I was you I’d stop the name calling/whining/crying like a baby and start working on my anti dirter tactics instead.

see my previous post.

and no I am not getting involved in this at all, just offering a way out of it.

—Panther

TraT
    Participant

Panther,

That method used to work in previous versions, it no longer does (I tried over 10 times, but it’s possible that if I had set it up exactly right that it would have worked eventually). I set up a game offline and experimented, I urge you all to try it as well. I tried missiles, riot bombs, baby nukes or heavy riots followed by napalm or hot napalm and none of them killed the Ton of Dirted tank. Most of the those combinations didn’t even hurt the tank. I set up my shots using tracers so that I could get my next shot to hit exactly in the center without causing any damage. I also tried hitting some from the side slightly, it still didn’t work. When I switched to a full Nuke, I damaged the tank outright (about 50% power) but also fully exposed it, so he was free to shoot dirt again if he wanted to. The best (cheapest) combination was a Heavy Riot, followed by a missile or regular riot, followed by napalm. I also tried a heavy riot followed by a baby nuke and could never quite kill the tank. So, using small/cheap weapons, it is (nearly?) impossible to kill a Ton Of Dirted tank w/ just 2 shots. With medium weapons (Heavy Laser, MIRVs, Nukes, Frogs) you probably can get a 2 shot kill. Obviously with Hogs, Funks and DHs you can get a 1 shot kill.

This level of protection is certainly stronger than both Mag shields and the regular shield (which are not impervious to 1 shot kills with the small weapons if you’re lucky and easily, 2 shot kills); and is equivalent to the Heavy and Force Shields.

A lot of the thinking in this discussion is about the permanent dirter (dirt yourself on the first shot and then wait/laser till the round is over) and thinking that this player is not that difficult to deal with, I agree.

The problem is the “Dirt when Hurt” player, especially near the end of the round. If a tank is hurt and doesn’t have enough power to fight back, all he has to do is self dirt and he has a very effective/cheap (about $3k) shield that will take multiple shots or expensive weapons to kill. If the player instead used his $12k-$30K fuel, batteries, shields or teleports to survive, obviously I don’t have a problem with this. They are all effective in the player’s survival, to varying degrees, but only the Dirt costs much less than the others.

It all comes down to how much money it takes to kill a dirter compared to how much it takes to kill a shielder, I say that they are equivalent, without an equivalent cost spent by the dirter.

Panther30
    Participant

TraT,

yeah I guess i remembered it wrong, took several bbms before I got through rommel’s dirt enough for napalm (regular) to work. Test my method with Hot napalm and see if it works better. keep testing, and I will keep turning the self-dirters into volcanoes.

thanks for the information, I will keep it in mind,

—Panther

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 46 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.