This topic contains 44 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Panther30 9 years, 6 months ago.

• Author

TraT
    Participant

I haven’t been playing much on Main lately, one of the reasons is because of Dirt being used. Since it looks like Dirt will not be removed from the game, can we at least close the loophole that makes it a dirt-cheap (sorry 😉 ) shield.

It is as effective as a Force Shield so why isn’t the price the same? As it stands now, it’s about 10 times cheaper (I don’t have the game open right now, so I don’t have the exact economy adjusted numbers). Don’t say that lasers or sandhogs can kill a self-dirter. Lasers don’t work when your opponent is below you (on Main), and sandhogs sometimes dud and are also expensive. Why should someone with no skill and very little money have a high chance to win a round/game? All they have to do is self dirt and then wait for everyone else to kill each other.

If the price was adjusted, then using Dirt would not have the negative stigma that it does now (or at least used to have) and it’s use would obviously be much rarer. I would even be tempted to buy it as a “forward shield”, not on me, but between me and an opponent.

parasti
    Participant

I wouldn’t mind a price tag of $10 000 for a bundle of “more than one”, but seriously contrary to what the endless hordes of dirt haters will tell you the only problem with the dirt has already been addressed: you don’t see any more sky scrapers these days.

Thrax
    Participant

/nul

Rommel
    Participant

Thanks for dragging that soap box over here for me old buddy. I’ve waited so long.@trat wrote:

I haven’t been playing much on Main lately, one of the reasons is because of Dirt being used. Since it looks like Dirt will not be removed from the game, can we at least close the loophole that makes it a dirt-cheap (sorry 😉 ) shield. …

For the time being however, I’m going to pass on your poll first disussion later approach except to say this:

What we really need is more polls and less discussion.
    (I work for the McCain campaingn and they pay me to say that)

Rommel

EatMyCar
    Participant

I see no reason to raise the cost of dirt. I mean, heavens forbid we buy a Riot Bomb…

Rommel
    Participant

Hi:

A fleeting thought on this topic hit me just now and I wanted to get it included in your discussion.

@trat wrote:

I haven’t been playing much on Main lately, one of the reasons is because of Dirt being used. Since it looks like Dirt will not be removed from the game, can we at least close the loophole that makes it a dirt-cheap (sorry 😉 ) shield. …

Dirt is much too expensive for the amount of protection it provides. Otherwise everyone would use dirt instead of buying expensve shields.

It’s very doubtful that anyone would be able to utilize dirt for every shot of every round and do very well due the risks and limitations imposed upon the buried player. This is certainly not the case with shields.

At the current price, only someone very “foxy” would consider using dirt for anything other than a last ditch effort to survive a round. This is the best use for the ton of dirt. Dirting yourself on shot 10 or above offers you the opportunity to EARN a round win regardless of the damage you may have taken. In case you failed to pick it up in the tutorial here it is again: Survive each round and if possible kill off those ahead of you.

Therefore, in order to bring the price of dirt more in line with the amount of protection it provides as comparred to the risks it imposes, perhaps the ton of dirt price should be reduced by 10 percent per week until we reach the point where it is being used about as often as all of the shields combined.

As you may be thinking now, this will result in virtually free ton of dirts for me in no time at all because most of you woudn’t use it even if it was free. Now that’s an idea I can support. That not withstanding, I would support a 50 percent increase of all items across the board although I do seem to remember a great many tears being shed here recently due to the price of batteries and chutes. A diligent search of the forums will reveal that I’ve not been sheding any tears recently and I wasn’t one of the people shedding tears then.

The Advanced FFA (main if you must) Server is not for beginners.
    The Beginners FFA Server is for beginners.

The Advanced FFA (main if you must) Server is not the MCB Server.
    Thrax has an MCB Server for those not quite ready for strategic play.

The Advanced FFA Server is for players that have developed the skills sufficient to shoot and to also use strategy. If you can’t honestly compete on the Advanced FFA Server in an FFA game, then perhaps you need to spend less time crying about prices and spend more time trying to develop the skills you need to be competitve against a (reading my logs today, feel free to insert most any swear word here) dirter.

Sincerely,

Rommel

TraT
    Participant

Again, I ask my question: If dirt’s only use is as a shield, why isn’t it priced the same as a shield? That’s all I want – the base price adjusted up to equal that of shields. After that, if no-one uses it, the price will go down, but only by 300%. Right now, the maximum price for 2 Ton Of Dirt is 3 * 6750 = $20250, but it will never get that high because most people consider it “cheating” and will never buy it. I’m not going to ruin my bank account trying to artificially raise the price.

Regarding Riot Bombs, it still requires at least 2 shots for a kill (just like most of the shields). The only one shot kills would be hogs (sometimes), funkies and DHs (again just like force shields). If I was playing 1 on 1 against a dirter it would be very easy and I would win each round, but most games have far more people in them at a time. While I try to get my 2 shot kill against the dirter, someone else is shooting at me, so I change my target and the dirter may get away and win the round (just like shielded players). The difference is that shielded players had to pay much more for their protection.

If it is not possible to get a one shot kill with a baby missile (with very good aim) or a missile then in my book, the player has used a shield.

Deathbal
    Participant

What do riot bombs do anyway? It would take at least 3 of them to reach the incased player only to have him redirt.

Also, it is not a matter of abuse, it’s a matter of what dirt actually does. For example. If you are using fuel and on the move, you cannot be dirted. Your tank remains on top of the dirt. That is what dirt should do at all times. Not bury anyone. If dirt hits any player including self, that player should be raised up to the top of the dirt. This way dirt can be used for the purpose of blocking shots without burying anyone.

Laptops Daddy
    Participant

i dont see why dirt is a problem. risk of stating the obvious, the main difference between dirt and shields is that once someone’s dirted themselves, they can’t shoot. (lasers excepted – little more than a nuisance to anyone with cash for batteries, though).

so why does it matter? leave the dirter ’til last, come back and get’m at the end if you have time. you don’t win games by self-dirting, not against anyone worth beating.

Rommel
    Participant

Dear Trat:

Your statement can only be either a serious challange or else a foolish boast.@trat wrote:

… If I was playing 1 on 1 against a dirter it would be very easy and I would win each round, but most games have far more people in them at a time.

Knowing of your considerable prowess, I know that it could only be a challange. Therefore, as the dirter you seem to be targeting with this thread, I accept your challange sir. I’ll be your huckleberry. Although I shudder to think that sometime during the game I will have to kill you in order to prevail, I shall endeavor to percevier.

For the entertainment of all interested, this match should be set up so that everyone can watch over our shoulders on a web site. This will eliminate any possibility that either of us are cheating. Not that I think you would, but you have publicly stated that most people think using dirt is cheating and it appears that you feel the same way. Therefore in order to prove my honor and ensure that yours should never come into question, this method seems prudent for us both.

As my father told me, when I was but a lad, I shall also tell you.

Anything that backs it’s ass up against the wall and takes on all comers isn’t there to lose.

He had just caught me playing a pay-off pinball machine in a pool hall.

My back is against the wall and I’m waiting. After you’ve had your shot at winning every round as you said, I’ll take requests from anyone else that wants to attempt that as well.

Anxiously awaiting your reply,

Rommel

Chopper
    Participant

You’re more foolish than I thought Romm. 🙄
    Just because you managed to hide under your dirt pile and lase enough people to gain a rank…..you’d never stand a chance one on one.
    You better tone it down.

Oh well…….no reason for you to listen now…..you never have.

Rommel
    Participant

Hi Chopper:

You can be second on the list if you’d like but I suggest you read the challange carefully before you step up.@chopper wrote:

You’re more foolish than I thought Romm. 🙄
    Just because you managed to hide under your dirt pile and lase enough people to gain a rank…..you’d never stand a chance one on one.
    You better tone it down.

Oh well…….no reason for you to listen now…..you never have.

If after reading it once more, you’d be to be second, I’ll be your huckleberry too, and will be looking forward to it.

Sincerely,

Rommel

Black-Rose
    Participant

Trat, you know that I’m with you on that one, i would prefer to totally remove the damn freaking dirt from the game but …

All i have to say is: we already lost a bunch of regular/good/friend players, mostly cause of Rommel and his stupid way to think, i stopped playing in 2004/05 cause of the dirt and really soon, i will stop again, whats the point to play a game with a bunch of selfish morons (moron = Dirter)! With Rommel pushing every noobs to use dirt (yup, he’s that stupid)…

Seriously, it’s time to do something about that fucking weapon! I understand Gavin that you want to keep the weapons and stuff as the original… but your S3D is played with other Humans… Dirt w/ laser is a big issue, always been! C’mon do something about that… and btw, dirt = A big blue shield … cause if you try to kill a self-dirter with bbm, well good luck, Rommel won a bunch of rounds only by dirting himself and skipping until everyone killed each other or round 12! The guys doesn’t care if the other player have fun or not, he likes pissing off people with dirt and lasers (In my head, Rommel = Cartman hehe)!

Anyway, time to do something about dirt cause we are loosing good and old regular players/friends, just because of 2/3 selfish moron!

Listen to us Gavin, the ones who play this game for years … not those damn noobs who are gonna stop playing 2 weeks later!

Cya

Proud Member of the National Anti-Dirter Coalition! 🙂

Black-Rose
    Participant

@deathbal wrote:

If dirt hits any player including self, that player should be raised up to the top of the dirt. This way dirt can be used for the purpose of blocking shots without burying anyone.

Best freaking idea ever!!! I support that 100%!!!!!!

Rommel
    Participant

To All:

Molson does not speak the truth and I’m beginning to think he doesn’t have the truth in him.
    @black-rose wrote:

… With Rommel pushing every noobs to use dirt (yup, he’s that stupid)…

To Molson (Black-Rose):

You are hereby challanged to produce evidence to substantiate your claim.

Rommel

Edit # 1. In reviewing the stats it came to my attention that Molson has killed me almost twice as many times as I have killed him. Thus his concern doesn’t appear to be that I’m getting too many kills but instead that his two shot kill (digger + roller or napalm) isn’t working on me as well as it it did when I sat there waiting to die. Poor baby. 😛

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 46 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.