This topic contains 10 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  PeanutsRevenge 9 years, 4 months ago.

  • Author
    Posts
  • #6542

    Stil8
    Participant

    Vista started showing symptoms similar to those of my HDD failure, except that: HDtune, CHKDSK and my BIOS all said that there was nothing wrong with the Hard Disk. Plus the hard disk was not behaving in such a manner either, proving that it could not possibly be damaged far enough to cause such issues.

    During a defrag with IObit, vista rebooted with a blue screen of death. This points towards the BOD phase of Vista. (Most Vistas go through a phase with frequent BODs, mine was one of them.)

    I did not want to go through another annoyance again, so I formatted and installed XP Media Center Edition SP2 (the only XP I have).

    Only two drivers I had to hunt down by myself:
    Conexant High Definition Audio and Nvidia GeForce Go 6150.

    I was very HDD intensive with XP for about 10-15 hrs (with breaks) and it did not fail, which points more towards Vista being the miscreant behind many of the hardware/software troubles I’ve had.

    Also, under vista, my GFX card was not able to detect it’s temperature, but under the XP it was, and under Vista, HDtune was not able to properly detect the HDD temp and health status either.

    I find this to be solid evidence that Vista is by far the worst and most unstable operating system ever released…in fact, if you didn’t get your license for free, you were ripped off. And also, this is solid evidence that Vista has capabilities to shorten the lifetime of computer hardware, primarily the mobo.

    Thanks for reading.

    #52228

    PeanutsRevenge
    Participant

    Although it would be hard to blame M$ for the temp issue (Its Nvidia / ATI that have been woefully slow in resolving their vista driver issues, even if M$ Should have helped alot more), the hard disk problems remind me of the nail in vistas coffin.

    Vistas annoying need to always ‘know’ what is one your disk drives, clashed with its desire to power down my drives.

    Every minute to so my WD 205GB ATA would cycle through powering down and powering backup, this was EVERY minute or so, unless I was ACTUALLY using the drive, when it would be fine.
    So, not only was it slaughtering my drive, it was infuriatingly noisey and would also lag my system for a second.
    Running XP SP1, 2, Beta 3 or OpenSuse 10.3 or 4.0 was just fine, I can power down the drive and will remain so until ‘ >>>> I <<<<<< ' access it.

    #52229

    zombie
    Participant

    sorry to say but window xp2 media center sucks. i am using it in one of my pc but it is not good at all. most of the programme dont support it. they either support window xp2 or vista . this is some how orphaned one . as i think .

    #52230

    Stil8
    Participant

    Peanuts: Yeah, I’ve noticed that my old HDD would make its Power-on and power-down sounds during idleness, but at the time I didn’t think much of it. The same goes for my new one, this being one of the reasons I >>>upgraded<<< to XP too.

    For now, all is fine with XP and S3d is working splendidly too; 30fps, but it plays as if it was 50 :D.

    Zombie: I don’t know what programs you are trying to use with Media Center, but I haven’t yet clashed with software that does not work with it.

    Although I haven’t tried it, I think even MS virtual PC will work with this XP…since it ran on my vista, but it said that Home Premium was not compatible.

    #52231

    Deathstryker
    Participant

    I’m thinking about trying out Windows Server 2003 soon. I’ve heard that it’s faster than XP and a little more streamlined due to the new kernel in it. Plus it runs almost everything that XP does.

    You just have to configure a few things first so it runs like XP.

    #52232

    Irishbandit
    Participant

    @deathstryker wrote:

    I’m thinking about trying out Windows Server 2003 soon. I’ve heard that it’s faster than XP and a little more streamlined due to the new kernel in it. Plus it runs almost everything that XP does.

    You just have to configure a few things first so it runs like XP.

    Good idea I talked to my boss about switching some of our staff computers over to 2008 server if the os after vista sucks as bad.
    I can get licenses for $150-$200. Thats worth it in my opinion to not need the beefed up hardware for vista.

    #52233

    PeanutsRevenge
    Participant

    Server 2003 is VERY good compared with XP
    I used it for a while, trying to find the right drivers is tricky (Nvidia have gfx drivers in 32 and 64bit, but motherboard is 64 only) and there is a fair bit of software that refuses to run on it.

    However, it is alot quicker than XP, more secure, more reliable and stable.

    There are some nice Server 2003 disks available on torrents, I like Windows eXPerience myself, but of course you need to hold a valid license or this will be illegal.

    The most annoying thing I found was that WMP 11 is not available for Server 2003.

    Irish, I tried the RC1 of server 2008 and really didnt get on with it, niggly little things that on there own are not worth mentioning, but together…. I just couldnt be bothered with it and switched to another OS (which I do A LOT).

    #52234

    Deathstryker
    Participant

    @peanutsrevenge wrote:

    ost annoying thing I found was that WMP 11 is not available for Server 2003.

    I heard some people managed to get it to work by slipstreaming it into the disc with WMP slipstreamer but I suppose that doesn’t really help you if you’ve already got a well-established installation of Server 2003 already.

    I’ll try it and see when I get it.

    Check it out here: http://www.boooggy.org/slipstreamer/

    EDIT:

    There’s also a method out there to install WMP 11 on an existing system but there’s a good bit of rigging involved so it may or may not work right.

    http://www.msblog.org/2006/12/17/install-windows-media-player-11-on-windows-server-2003/

    Here’s a pic of mine in Virtual PC…

    #52235

    Viking62
    Participant

    Hello all–Has been a while since I posted in this forum. I saw the knocks on Vista & I just had to comment…… I am (Have been since my PC build) running Vista Ultimate–>For programs of 86/32bit type—>Hint—>Program/Properties/Compatibility Mode(Most for me is XP SP2 mode). Vista is smooth for me–The Comodo Firewall Pro(free) provides a lot of hurdles for me (learned to put that into training mode). For a 86/32bit & 64bit uni-machine…….this PC runs sweet with all the programs I have stuffed into it. I can do so much at the same time…… I turned my XP system on for about 1 hour–I could’nt stay on it long-I got impatient with it being so Sloooow. If you are going to run Vista….. Make sure you have the hardware that Vista requires–I would not run Ide Fat Ribbon Hdd on this machine….My Sata’s scream (quietly of course). S3D runs a steady 60fps 150+ if I turn some settings down. . . 😉

    I also am including a recent screeny of my Overclock speed for my Q6600 Cpu…I also built a friend another PC (Vista) ….It has no problems either.
    I must be just lucky…. 😉

    http://www.scorched3d.co.uk/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=4999&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

    #52236

    PeanutsRevenge
    Participant

    @viking62 wrote:

    Hello all–Has been a while since I posted in this forum. I saw the knocks on Vista & I just had to comment…… I am (Have been since my PC build) running Vista Ultimate–>For programs of 86/32bit type—>Hint—>Program/Properties/Compatibility Mode(Most for me is XP SP2 mode). Vista is smooth for me–The Comodo Firewall Pro(free) provides a lot of hurdles for me (learned to put that into training mode). For a 86/32bit & 64bit uni-machine…….this PC runs sweet with all the programs I have stuffed into it. I can do so much at the same time…… I turned my XP system on for about 1 hour–I could’nt stay on it long-I got impatient with it being so Sloooow. If you are going to run Vista….. Make sure you have the hardware that Vista requires–I would not run Ide Fat Ribbon Hdd on this machine….My Sata’s scream (quietly of course). S3D runs a steady 60fps 150+ if I turn some settings down. . . 😉

    I also am including a recent screeny of my Overclock speed for my Q6600 Cpu…I also built a friend another PC (Vista) ….It has no problems either.
    I must be just lucky…. 😉

    http://www.scorched3d.co.uk/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=4999&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

    Dude, you had the scorched community behind you for that project, it could onlay ever turn out well.

    I would also like to point out that your old machine was OLD, so the setup up for you with this vista machine is HUGE, thus, if you put XP on this new machine, I believe you would be very impressed with the speed it would run and the overclocking tweaks that would be open to you with XP, but unavailable with Vista.

    Switch to OpenSuse 11.0, you’ll love it!

    #52237

    Viking62
    Participant

    Hello Nut-
    I do really appreciate all of the support that I received throughout this PC build. And you may be right about the XP vs. that old machine of mine….
    Did you notice my Overclocked CPU Mhz. in the last window I posted. 3.8 is not bad at all my friend…… I will try to push 4.0 sometime later on. But, I do like how Vista works on this PC…. Now, i need keyboard classes=LOL
    Nice to be back in the forums-Take care my friends;)

    Hope ta see ya’s in da game 🙂

    #52238

    PeanutsRevenge
    Participant

    Just seen the pic now while scrolling to last post. Very impressive my friend.

    It helps to support my point though, your chip is running a higher clock speed that my Pentium D, has 4 rather than 2 cores and uses its clock cycles far more efficiently than mine.

    Make the switch to linux, use compiz fusion to get the most outta gfx card for general use too, its soo wasted on windows.

    http://compiz.org/Home/Screenshots
    Check out the videos too…

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.