This topic contains 109 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  tlon 7 years, 1 month ago.

• Author

Laptops Daddy
    Participant

@bazzz wrote:

I do not agree as “they” could mean anything…

“they” (not to be confused with “it”), i meant government agencies in the developed countries. cheap, alternative fuels could/would be detrimental to the worlds economy, this is very clear. imagine the impact if oil was suddenly worth 10% what it was before.

i was saying on the servers earlier, i dont think innovation is the problem. alternative energy sources are abundant and cheap.

potential for economic meltdown is the big hindrance. we cant afford to have oil prices drop. other than that, from what i see, its just a matter of logistics. we have the technology, but we’re already set up for petrol.

ps:
    i agree, hydrogen seems far more viable as a storage medium.

PeanutsRevenge
    Participant

@laptops Daddy wrote:

@bazzz wrote:

I do not agree as “they” could mean anything…

“they” (not to be confused with “it”), i meant government agencies in the developed countries. cheap, alternative fuels could/would be detrimental to the worlds economy, this is very clear. imagine the impact if oil was suddenly worth 10% what it was before.

i was saying on the servers earlier, i dont think innovation is the problem. alternative energy sources are abundant and cheap.

potential for economic meltdown is the big hindrance. we cant afford to have oil prices drop. other than that, from what i see, its just a matter of logistics. we have the technology, but we’re already set up for petrol.

ps:
    i agree, hydrogen seems far more viable as a storage medium.

Firstly I would like to apolotise for picking on your post Ltd, I have too often writen a post for this thread, but not posted, however yours is the final short straw.

The problem I forsee is not about the reduction in oil prices, which have cost the british and American people SO much money (why else did we REALLY invade and kill so many innocent Iraqis and Afgans (I shorten as I cannot be bothered to look up the correct spelling), I believe a HUGE reason for not going nigrogen is the immense cost of re-equiping the fuel stations for storage of a tricky substance, let alone how much it will cost for transport companies (cars, planes, lorries, trains, ferries) to store the fuel and develop the technology to efficiently use such a fuel.

Try to imagine a world where oil was worth little, the states / countries that currently rely on that cash, having it withdrawn, imagine the stock markets. 30% of the worlds stock markets are held up by oil! !

Nitrogen is a tricky gas/liquid to store and a dangerous one at that.
    The cost not only to store, but also to transfer it is MASSIVE, on top of that the fuel stations also still must have petrol / diesel / ethenol for those that cannot afford a brand new car that uses technology.

One of the things I really cannot understand is that the governments of the deveolped countries have not legislated that solar panels ‘must’ but implimented on new build houses. Even in countries like Scotland where the sun is rare (:p) tha panels would still have a large impact on the draw from power stations. Imagine countries where the roof was almost entirely Solar panelled…..

Laptops Daddy
    Participant

@Peanuts wrote:

i wouldnt know a subtle plan if i painted myself purple and danced naked on top of a harpsichord, singing ‘subtle plans are here again’

i dare you to make less sense. were you agreeing with me? nitrogen? ethanol?

scotland?

is it late or are you just a nutter? maybe its me

bazzz
    Participant

Oil will never be suddenly cheaper- there is a growing demand for it right now, the only way demand would go down fast would be the collapse of the world economy wich would lead to a more destabilised world.And thats why the oil price is so high right now.
    Alternative energy(wind ,solar, nuclear,nuclear fusion) all have their own limitations to reduce oil demand.They may replace our dependance slowly if oilprices stay this high, wich is uncertain.
    The opec agreement was suppost to keep oilprices and the world economy stable but right now it has failed- it could change however altough it seems very speculative at this moment in time.

i was saying on the servers earlier, i dont think innovation is the problem. alternative energy sources are abundant and cheap. potential for economic meltdown is the big hindrance. we cant afford to have oil prices drop. other than that, from what i see, its just a matter of logistics. we have the technology, but we’re already set up for petrol.

There is abundant energy to be harvested but i disagree that it is cheap, a big need in technology thats can do it cheaper at the moment alternatives are more expensive(exept maybe nuclear fission but it has the potential to be dangerous and more expensive in the long run)
    There is good hope tough, lots of innovations and some may look very promising.With mass production it could be not too far away that it will be cheaper to cover parts of deserts with cheap solar panels than to pump up oil.
    if that happens it wont have a big impact on the economy, it will be a gentle change over, not a big crash.Lots of economists argue that the economy would be better off anyway- alternatives make the dependance on oil less makes the world more stable and energy would become less expensive.
    And dont foget, one less reason to go to war.

Nitrogen is a tricky gas/liquid to store and a dangerous one at that.
    The cost not only to store, but also to transfer it is MASSIVE, on top of that the fuel stations also still must have petrol / diesel / ethenol for those that cannot afford a brand new car that uses technology.

nitrogen? i think you mean hydrogen.I doubt the hindenburg would have burnt with nitrogen it it, neither would it have lifted off from the grond. 😛
    Ethanol could be a viable alternative, but for godsake dont make it from corn, switchgrass is the buzzword

One of the things I really cannot understand is that the governments of the deveolped countries have not legislated that solar panels ‘must’ but implimented on new build houses. Even in countries like Scotland where the sun is rare () tha panels would still have a large impact on the draw from power stations. Imagine countries where the roof was almost entirely Solar panelled…..

I would vote for that, unfortunatly the majority doesnt, yet the cost will go down and things may change.

scotland?

Its a country filled with funny talking people that sound ruder than the english but in reality are more civilised,imo the scottish people i met were.thats what i like about them and of course the redhaired girls-read it its both interesting and it got mutant “red hair” mice. 😀

is it late or are you just a nutter? maybe its me

I agree with every word. 😛

Rommel
    Participant

PeanutsRevenge
    Participant

Uh, yea, oops, want wanna be drinking N2O.

bazzz
    Participant

Ginger Kids!

Yes southpark hitting the nail on the head again ,had not seen that episode.

Here`s a link to a documentary about cold fusion. Bbc horizon makes interesting documentaries altough slightly dramatic its credible content imo.

PeanutsRevenge
    Participant

Good link man.
    I do like Horizon personally, was an interesting watch.

Made me laugh when during the final test they believed that not using the exact same frequency wouldnt matter. WTF?? ? ?

bazzz
    Participant

My guess is that the difference in the frequenty shouldnt conflict with the theory as suggested in the opinion of the conducting scientists.Thats what they show, there is a possibility the setup might be the cause of non fusion.
    On the other hand when he made his claim laboratories over the world would have tried to reproduce it, especially the skeptics.But noone uptodate has been able to reproduce it, even the guy that made the claim hasnt been able to show his findings.Not within the requirements set by his peers.
    All evidence suggests that he fooled himself, it happens to the most intelligent of us.The scientific community is pretty harsh to people who make false claims, to protect themselves from losing credibility.
    Its a tough world we live in.

PeanutsRevenge
    Participant

So, your saying that if someone looks harder enough for something, they will always find it, whether it’s there or not?

I’m sure I have heard that before 🙂

I was writting alot more, but I realised it was my usual stoned babble, so I will spare you from it.

See I am a nice guy.

bazzz
    Participant

So, your saying that if someone looks harder enough for something, they will always find it, whether it’s there or not?

All you have to do is believe my child.
    But seriously if you find something others cant see there might be a possibility it`s just not there.Unless reality is something much more obscure,like all reality could be generated by what you think ehh.. what i think that would be, or that we are just a simulation in a computer and someone is fooling around with us.
    Interesting stuff to think about but of little practical use untill we find it imo.

I was writting alot more, but I realised it was my usual stoned babble, so I will spare you from it.

I can relate to that.

See I am a nice guy.

Good to hear you feel good about yourself, i was a nice guy once. 😆

PeanutsRevenge
    Participant

Yea, The Matrix sparked a few deep convos

Rommel
    Participant

Rommel
    Participant

bazzz
    Participant

Hurrah history today is back on.

thank you rom.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 111 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.