This topic contains 6 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Willis 12 years, 11 months ago.

• Author

hobbesme
    Participant

If there is one non-gameplay feature that I would like implemented in V38, it would be to eliminate the unnecessary loading of the current map board BEFORE selecting your player name & tank.

For instance, currently when a V37.x game is started, the display indicates that the game is “Initializing …”, “Loading Tank Selections”, “Initializing Windows …”, etc. before advancing to a text window that displays “Attempting Connection … Connection Accepted …”, etc.

Next, the current map board is calculated, rendered, & eventually displayed for the next round of gameplay to start.

At this point, a player who has just started the game has the first opportunity to select a name & tank.

Howver, I would like to request that a player’s name & tank selection be performed immediately following the “Connection Accepted” & BEFORE the current map board is rendered & displayed.

The advantages I see for this are as follows :

1. Currently, at the start of a brand new game (no players in the game), the first player to join the game must load & sit in a dummy map board to select name & tank.

The second player to join the game must also load into the same dummy map board before selecting name & tank — after which the game immediately quits the dummy round & calculates/renders a new map board for the two players to start an actual game.

If you are the second player to join, you start the game; wait 10-15 seconds to initialize & connect to the game, wait 15 seconds to load the dummy map board, select player name & tank, & then wait ANOTHER 15 seconds to load the next map board to start the game.

And if both players join the game near to simultaneously (which happens often when players switch from the non-teams server to the teams server), both players must wait through two map board creations before starting gameplay.

If both players had selected their names/tanks BEFORE creating/loading any map board, they both would be saved ONE map board creation/load time(s).

[EVEN FURTHER, if a new game delayed for a few seconds to accept other potential players before starting gameplay, new games could start with more than just the first two players. Currently, every game starts with two players & all the other players that joined immediately after the first two must wait for the next game turn. A small delay at the start of a game for more players could allow the first round of a new game to start with more than just the first two players.]

2. Currently, a player starting/entering a game-in-progress that just happens to be on the last round of that turn — either because the round limit for turn is exceeded OR one or more players win the turn on this round OR all players are eliminated on this round — must load the current map board before selecting player name & tank.

IF when the map board does load, the round QUICKLY ends & starts calculating/rendering the next map board BEFORE the player had time to select name & tank, then the player will NOT be ready to play in the next round.

If the player had selected name & tank BEFORE creating/loading any map board, then the player would be ready to play in the next round — even if the next round is for a new game turn.

Thank you for any consideration of this feature request.

We all look forward to V38.

Willis
    Participant

It would also be nice if, just as with the player name, the Tank can be memorized as well.

A simple dummy file listing off the tank and tank specs, say as simple as:

Siege Tank (Artillery)
    Future

siegetank2.ase
    siegetank2.bmp

If I recal tanks are processed client side, so when the game starts, the game verifies if the NAME exists (or if a unique ID would be emplanted if that exists). If so the game verifies if the tank Specs are identical (potential senerio of multiple identical names, or Tank has been modified).

In the event confirmation fails, preform the random tank generator function – otherwise pull up the priorly used tank.

hobbesme
    Participant

@hobbesme wrote:

Thank you for any consideration of this feature request.

Greetings,i suppose my feature request was ignored today. Looks like I was ignored because few person posted about me so bad things(bad language,bad nicknames,bad id and other stuff) …

If main reason my feature request ignored is my language-i promise NoMore use posts in forum,just give me chance.

many people know me as a good player. So make this temporary feature request ignoring as last warning to me,and no one more will be insult I promise..

I do not understand that from me still is required … However, i promised not to post more feature requests and more offend others also…

Somebody tell me please when my feature request will be unignored? I will be like bot on forum,who just reads other posts,i promise

He’s a good guy ! unignore his feature request!

People,give let us forget about the past troubles let me begin post anew.I promised to be absolutely silent at the forum,no more problems from me…

Thanks all,thats great!!I can post again

Im sorry to say but go frell yourself,stupid debile. But dont worry suckers,i decided not to post on your forum again!

Oh wait, did I just pull a Moke?!?!

Please don’t ban me!! 🙂

Unignore my posts! Please, I’m a good guy!

imported_gcamp
    Participant

If main reason my feature request ignored is my language-i promise NoMore use posts in forum,just give me chance.

If I am ignoring anyone it is because I am busy, not for any other reason.

Have I missed something? Should we be ignoring you, just let me know if that is the case 🙂

Even if I don’t reply I always read all the posts, no matter how strange (and some of them are really strange 😉 ). I was waiting for other people’s feedback on this one.

From my point of view most games operate this way. Allowing you to join as a spectator before commencing. If not you could be staring a blank dialog waiting for other people to join. I understand it has to generate twice but this only takes a few seconds (or it does on my machine). In most cases people will be joining during a round, in which case they are a spectator anyway.

Unignore my posts! Please, I’m a good guy!

As is everyone here 🙂 its just quiet here at the moment. Perhaps people are playing HL2 instead.

hobbesme
    Participant

@gcamp wrote:

Allowing you to join as a spectator before commencing. In most cases people will be joining during a round, in which case they are a spectator anyway.

@hobbesme wrote:

IF when the map board does load, the round QUICKLY ends & starts calculating/rendering the next map board BEFORE the player had time to select name & tank, then the player will NOT be ready to play in the next round.

My main objection is still that if player(s) don’t have a chance to join until the mapboard loads; it’s possible that the game will load the mapboard, simulate the round very quickly AND quickly end the round & start a new round — BEFORE new player(s) had a chance to login. Thus, new player(s) won’t be logged in & ready to play in the next new round.

Your objection that player(s) should be able to login in as a spectator(s) is moot because as it is if when the login dialog opens player(s) click ‘Cancel’ thereby choosing not to login, the player(s) will remain spectator(s) & NOT be available to play in any round until they login.

Therefore, if you allowed player(s) to login immediately after connecting to a game but BEFORE loading the first mapboard, player(s) have the choice of either :

1. Logging in & become ready to play (ESPECIALLY if a new round is starting momentarily)

OR

2. ‘Cancel’ing login thereby choosing to remain a spectator

For those of us whose CPU’s take 15 seconds to load each new mapboard BUT who want to play as quickly as possibly after logging in, allowing players to login ASAP after connecting to the game would be very useful.

Thank you.

imported_gcamp
    Participant

I see what you are saying. However I cannot promise anything for version 38 (perhaps 38.1). I am trying to stop putting new things in as it keeps delaying the release.

I think for that to work you would also need a time for the server to wait before starting a new game (I think that is the way it used to work, version 35/36??).

hobbesme
    Participant

@gcamp wrote:

I see what you are saying. However I cannot promise anything for version 38 (perhaps 38.1). I am trying to stop putting new things in as it keeps delaying the release.

That’s absolutely understandable. “No new features” is a hopeful motto for most software engineers.

@gcamp wrote:

I think for that to work you would also need a time for the server to wait before starting a new game.

@hobbesme wrote:

EVEN FURTHER, if a new game delayed for a few seconds to accept other potential players before starting gameplay, new games could start with more than just the first two players. Currently, every game starts with two players & all the other players that joined immediately after the first two must wait for the next game turn. A small delay at the start of a game for more players could allow the first round of a new game to start with more than just the first two players.

Correct, my suggestion is that whenever a second player joins a server game that only has one player WAITING for other players — set a small timer (3-5 seconds?) to wait for other players.

Each time a new player connects before the WAITING timer expires, allow them to login, select a tank (or not if they want to be a lamo spectator), & reset the timer to wait for possibly other new players.

As soon as the timer expires, create & render the first mapboard & begin gameplay.

This solves the current problem that “every game starts with two players & all the other players that joined immediately after the first two must wait for the next game turn”.

For example, five players are in the non-teams server & want to switch to the now-empty teams server :

1. Player #1 joins, logs in, & the server changes to the WAITING state.
    2. Player #2 joins, logs in, the server starts a 5(?) second timer, but remains in the WAITING state.
    3. Player #3 joins 2 second after Player #2, logs in, the server resets the 5 second timer, & still remains in the WAITING state.
    4. Player #4 joins 4 seconds after Player #3 (note : 6 seconds after Player #2), logs in, the server again resets the 5 second timer, & continues to remain in the WAITING state.
    5. Player #5 returns from getting a beer & joins 6 seconds after Player #4 (note : 12 seconds after Player #2), logs in, but by this point the WAITING timer had expired so the gameplay had already started for Players #1 – #4.

Creating a WAITING state timer combined with selecting a tank BEFORE creating mapboard(s) would solve the problem of new games only starting with two players.

But I’m sure most people would rather wait a small additional amount of time to start a game with more than 2 players in the first round — rather than always starting a brand new game with only two players in the first round & the remaining starting players joining in the second round.

Willis
    Participant

Well, why not attempt at this motion:

In the sever select screen, give a “ADVANCED” window option:

In this window a user can custom preference their Name, Unit, and Team Preference. Just the same as if they loaded Scorched, but before they even select a server. Then to grand finale it all a checkbox (which if not selected could grey out everything else) which emplys if these selections would be used or not.

If the user selects the checkbox, the content provided would be sumbitted along with the request to join the server, so upon entering the game they are not entering as “Player #”.. but instead as hobbes or Willis or whoever it is. They won’t be actually in the game playing but it will eliminate the “load game – game ends – load game – select unit name etc – sit and wait – game ends – start playing” . . it would if anything be “load game – game ends – load game – start playing”. If the player desires not to use the advanced feature and does not select the checkbox (say you launch scorched but step away for a minute or two) .. also need be said this unchecked stats comes default. Things could play out as they currently do in 37.2, or hobbes connect to server -> loggin -> load game idea.

I also like hobbs idea of the waiting timer. Much love on that idea.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.