This topic contains 18 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  hobbesme 10 years, 10 months ago.

• Author

Brain Damage
    Participant

what about to add a score penality (settable in the server) to each resign?
    and maybe show # of resigns in the the players info window too

EDIT: maybe add the possiblity in cash penality too

BOY
    Participant

I like the idea of a cash penalty most of all. If you dont have enough cash, you cannot resign. servers could set whatever cash value they want 😀

taking away some points is good too. Do both!

cbx550f
    Participant

But there is, and always has been, a penalty for resigning!

You cannot win the round!

@cbx550f wrote:

Hello, my name is cbx, and I’m a resigner

hobbesme
    Participant

@cbx550f wrote:

Yes, this has always been the built-in penalty for resigning.

Ebonite
    Participant

I am HoneyBucket, and I approve this message.

Brain Damage
    Participant

with the new life system you just loose 1 life, and you keep playing, i am not saying that this has to be implementied to the official server i am asking for the server option, so server wich are more kill based that round win based can use that option to aviod that all damaged tanks resigns
    eg: a really low life tank (like 2) has nothing to loose if the server is more kill based, because it will simply not give the kill to the opponent, the tank was going to die anyway (very probably at least)

BOY
    Participant

@cbx550f wrote:

This is a false statement, in most cases, the player will only resign when they know they cannot win the round and they are reasonably certain that it is to thier advantage.
    In other words, they resign when it will penalize the other player.

JiNx
    Participant

i used to love resigning but that was purely when i played for rank status

now im not that bothered about rank i just enjoying having a wicked game with lots of friends

and from the other side of the fence now i see how annoying it is

yes i agree put a penalty in how about if it is possible that after you resign your next shot in the next round is skipped automaticaly

Ebonite
    Participant

resigning already takes place at the end of round, allowing a free shot before the player “leaves”, rather than taking place immediately as it was originally coded. If a player has damaged another player such that the second player has no other move to make, getting this “free shot” before the resign takes place should allow the first player to finish what they started. If that first player cannot finish off the damaged player in that shot, then they don’t earn the kill. If the first player instead chooses to shoot someone else, then obviously they aren’t interested in “kills”, which is the single biggest argument against resigning, “Resigning takes away [my] kills.” I’m sorry, but if you couldn’t kill me, even with the free shot, then you don’t deserve the kill.

Has anyone stopped to think about what resigning actually means, in the context of war-fighting throughout history? It’s a surrender. When one army no longer had any chance of prevailing, sometimes one side or another would offer a chance to resign, thus avoiding any further needless bloodshed. There is no way to win, why waste lives proving the point? In real life, killing is generally accepted as a bad thing. But the stat whores in here generally disregard that in their quest for ranking and bragging rights. Personally, I think the ranking system is flawed, but I’m not opening that can of worms here. Regardless, I’ll be crapped if I’m going to allow someone to pad their stats at my expense when I can’t do anything to protect myself, revenge myself, or further my own stats.

If my resigning takes away your kill, then damnit, you should have killed me to prevent that. If you can’t, then it’s not me taking away your kill, it’s you who is taking away your kill.

Now there’s discussion of further penalizing resigns. Go ahead. Make it unattractive. I’ve said it before, and I say it again. I’ll start suiciding. I have an endless supply of Baby Missiles, and an endless supply of 0 power. No matter how much power you have or how accurate you are, I can still get to me before you can.

cbx550f
    Participant

I not only agree with all that Ebo just said, but it was good reading too. Well said.

Like Ebo says – if resigning is made too unattractive, I’ll suicide. If ever there was a cause worth “dying for”, it’s ME winning the war!

It’s a war game. As far as I’m concerned, pull out EVERY dirty trick in the book to win!

I could, however, be convinced to accept a couple score points subtracted. (Must be much less than a self-kill though, or I’ll just kill myself ;))

Deathstryker
    Participant

Well said, indeed.

He had a certain power to his tone.

Quite a stark contrast from running around in the forums in his pink g-string, I must say.

Bobirov
    Participant

I pretty much totally agree with Ebo here.

I’ve been totally happy with resigns ever since the option to have them occur at round end was added (my idea btw). I honestly don’t see any reason to further nerf it. My main beef with resigning was always that there was no warning and it caused me to waste a shot on a player who was no longer in game.

Brain Damage
    Participant

first of all, i apologize, i did not want to start this big mess, let me try to be more clear:

i am not asking to apply this thing on the official serversor anywhere elese , i was just asking for the possiblily in a server to set it, you don’t need to use it if you don’t like it, it’s just an option, if you hate it that much, then no worries, no need to make a big deal of it

Deathstryker
    Participant

I think that people were just eager to express their opinion of it because resigning had been discussed many, MANY times before and everyone has just developed a real strong belief of it over the years, lol.

So you have to be prepared when mentioning a touchy subject like… *looks around* …resigning.

BOY
    Participant

based on my poll, it looks as if there is enough interest in a penalty to make resigs cost a little something. Looks like those if favor mostly want score penalty, perhaps an option for 0 to -50 score. 🙂

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.