This topic contains 9 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  badshot 12 years, 5 months ago.

• Author

Willis
    Participant

I was on my way home driving and started thinking of how my evening gets planned – oviously considering scorched. Then I started wondering how much gameplay time I had before other people got home and was too distracted to continue playing.

So it hit me, why not have an auto-skip feature? Turn it on, and until you turn it off it will “confirm” your Buy round turns, and skip your shots on regular turns.

If you don’t wish to stay in the game risking continious death then one can leave, but after also considering miscellanious distractions like phone call ringing – gotta let the pet out – some family member needs your attention – whatever. It would be much better then getting kicked time after time.

Heres the logic:

Currently when a person selects SKIP – a confirm window comes up asking if they are certain of thier choice.

Lets add a button there marked “Auto Skip”

Upon clicking this button – two things happen. First that given turn is skipped, it would be no different then if they hit the regular skip button.

The other is a alternate window would show, with one button. It would say “Turn off Auto-Skip” button-> “OK”.

Now in the meantime, as auto skip is running. Regardless if it is a buy round or a shot turn – a different counter would apear below the normal game timer. This counter would be able to be defined by the server – but has mandatory settings of being at least 5 seconds. It also cannot be longer then the buy-round / shot clock length.

When that new clock reaches 0, their turn IS skipped. Or in the case of a buy-round that screen is OK’d.

A person needs to turn off the auto-skip function to continue playing naturally. And the 5+ seconds allowed is plenty of time.

Thats about as tricky as it gets, and would help to allow people more flexability then always sitting and skipping for someone to shoot you – or risk being kicked by being AFK.

Theres no harm in using auto-skip either. If a person were to use it through-out the entire game except final few rounds .. their still on the map a digger kills them. Likewise they could have merely sat down and hit the skip button anyway.

poolee
    Participant

Yeah, I second that request!!! 🙂 Great idea Willis! 😀

That combined with the ability to go into “Spectator” mode would be very useful. Next version please Gavin? 😛

Cheers
    Poolee

Deathstryker
    Participant

nice idea. Didn’t read all the paragraph though but I assume it wasn’t anything important.

Apollo Tangent
    Participant

Sounds fine to me, if you don’t gain interest.

Also, if it’s on and the sever is full the person auto skipping should “yeild” and be bounced out by someone wanting to get into the game.

Sound fair?

Apollo

Apollo Tangent
    Participant

Just crossed my mind… that spectator mode makes more sense.

Here’s why.

I (or anyone else) could call my of (their) Brothers up and have them log in and put auto skip on, that would allow me to kill them with no risk to myself, hence it could lead to stats stacking. Ie: the double logging thing that moke did.

A.T.

Willis
    Participant

Hmm – good point Apollo. I don’t know how to aproach this to make it fair all around.. remember the name is auto skip not auto resign, a player if lived to shot 3 could return and start busting heads if he/she can.

However regarding the other players wanting to play – Hobbes commented to this concern also – I figure if a player is under auto-spectate for 12 turns length (one FULL round) *regardless if living or dead*. THEN they are liable to be yeilded for others to play.

BOY
    Participant

@A.T. wrote:

Sounds fine to me, if you don’t gain interest.

Also, if it’s on and the sever is full the person auto skipping should “yeild” and be bounced out by someone wanting to get into the game.

Sound fair?

Apollo

Just crossed my mind… that spectator mode makes more sense.

Here’s why.

I (or anyone else) could call my of (their) Brothers up and have them log in and put auto skip on, that would allow me to kill them with no risk to myself, hence it could lead to stats stacking. Ie: the double logging thing that moke did.

A.T.

does anyone know the progress of this idea? or did spectator mode solve the issue here? was that installed after these posts?

There is not way to go from playing or dead strait to Spectator without quitting, right? Clearly, it should stay this way, otherwise there is no need for resigning.

Spectator mode is great, but yes, Spectators should immediately “yield” to those logging in when server is full.

However, AUTOSKIP is still very much needed. It is needed because of all the times we sit and wait to be shot at. And for the times that the shooters are waiting for the injured to finally hit SKIP! 😈 (i am gulty too) Lots of time could be saved here.

KEY IDEA:
    Similar to willis’ suggestion, AUTOSKIP should be limited in that at round end, if the player has not turned AUTOSKIP OFF, the player is mmediately moved to Spectator mode with no interest earned for that round. If the player is killled before the end of the round while using autoskip, the player should still be able to turn autoskip off before the end of the round in order to recieve interest or a round win and does not be moved to spectator. Sound good so far?

The message should show the number of turns left in round when autoskip is on, or should simply read “failed to make a move”

THis feature would be a great timesaver and would be awesome for round 1
    it could also be good for
    1. eating lunch
    2. talking or typing without interuption
    3. going pee or poop
    4. quickie sex
    5. surfing net
    6. walking the dog
    7. hiding game from employer wife or significant other
    8. changing a diaper (my fave)
    9. staring into space
    10. exercising

Feel free to vote for the one that is typical of you! 😆

Boy

Willis
    Participant

Yes this feature would still be nice for those delema’s.

But for those who still have to patience to sit and watch, I’ve come to recently love the shortcut key command ability for SKIP.

This is something you have to program in yourself, no preset key command is assigned. But when you do; just hit that key like any other, your skip window confirm screen shall show. Then hit enter/return without a thought and it will confirm your desire to skip.

You never even need to use the mouse, I did some changes around in my key command (bairly) and I use the ‘m’ key. Now this is normally an assigned key, used to bring up the player window (change name / tank / etc). But becuase I never change my name or tank I don’t need that (Plus if you hit the ‘R’ key then hit enter, it jumps to that very same window..). So what better key, when I have to skip I merely hit ‘M’ with my pointer finger and hit ‘enter’ with my pinky finger and done.

I’d suggest however finding something differnet, something un-used. If you really have the time maybe give it an ‘ALT’ or ‘CTRL’ command with it, make sure you never hit it by mistake :).

jdog
    Participant

@poolee wrote:

Yeah, I second that request!!! 🙂 Great idea Willis! 😀

That combined with the ability to go into “Spectator” mode would be very useful. Next version please Gavin? 😛

Cheers
    Poolee

Last time someone asked about getting “Spectator Mode” put in Gavin said that it would cause more slow down because the data from shot and land deforming would have to be sent to each “Spectator” also.

A better use for the Spectator mode would be to have it so the person who set up a sever could view the game and not play if they don’t want to.. it would be a good way to get footage for a video and no extra data too send.

Blasterman
    Participant

Great idea there Willis! The Spectator mode is a good idea every now and then, however, spectators whould be “bumped” if someone wants to play. I had seen an 10 player game and the server showed about HALF of the players waiting for the next game. Then all of a sudden, the whole server filled up. And my friend wanted to play with me online, but couldn’t since there was no more room for any extra players.

badshot
    Participant

Another thing:
    If all alive players have skipped move, end round as if turn limit has been reached. It seems very easy to do compared to other suggestions, and will save time when there’s 2 or more players who can’t reach eachother.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.