This topic contains 13 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Deathstryker 11 years, 2 months ago.

• Author

Deathstryker
    Participant

in this post
    @Brain Damage wrote:

also what do you think about the wiki editable by anyone? i really belive that a wiki should be free to be editable by everyone, and yes cbx, i would help you if the wiki would be editable by anyone, and i belive that many others would do as well, i am not requesting to get in the wiki usergroup, if i would want that i would just have asked, i want for the people to freely add/edit the content

I disagree with this one too. My main concern is people vandalizing it and us having to spend time reverting the changes. Sure, places like Wikipedia allow anyone to edit their Wikis but because their’s is more public and it’s more likely to be caught quickly with the great amount of traffic they get. Even with the greater number of people allowed to edit ours, I still don’t think it will be enough to keep it free of vandals.

I also don’t see the point in letting anyone but the Admins (or people who have been proven to be trusted) edit the wikis. I mean, who knows the game better than the forum regulars anyway?

I’ll agree to letting non-Admin forum regulars change it though.

BOY
    Participant

I’d like to nominate Brain Damage to moderate the group that can edit the wiki. anyone he lets in the group can edit.

I’d nominate you DS, but you dont seem too enthusiastic about any changes.

Anyone else care to nominate someone?

EDIT:
    split this topic for easier reading and better discussion.

cbx550f
    Participant

@boy wrote:

I’d like to nominate Brain Damage to moderate the group that can edit the wiki. anyone he lets in the group can edit..

Err, BD said he didn’t want to be part of the Wiki group. 😛

Deathstryker
    Participant

He wanted everyone to be able to edit the wiki. If you nominate him, isn’t it kind’ve defeating the purpose of nominating someone anyway?

Btw, I don’t really mind whether you nominate me or not. I’m sure there are better people for the task anyway like CBX or Rob. They edit the wiki a lot more than I.

BOY
    Participant

@cbx550f wrote:

@boy wrote:

I’d like to nominate Brain Damage to moderate the group that can edit the wiki. anyone he lets in the group can edit..

Err, BD said he didn’t want to be part of the Wiki group. 😛

He’d still be a good choice. Deathstryker would be a better choice. And to that note, who I nominate is of little consequnece other than I’ve made the only nomination so far. 😉

Deathstryker
    Participant

Even if I’m nominated, it doesn’t mean Gavin agrees to any of this. Also, there’s only a couple of people out there that I’d feel would be worth Adding (at this time).

Brain Damage is one
    Thrax would probably be my second choice….

Maybe 1 or 2 others beyond that (I’d have to think more about it)

So maybe just ask Gavin directly to add these few others?

parasti
    Participant

I believe with “everyone” it is “everyone who’s registered” meant here. Remember captchas?

Brain Damage
    Participant

first of all yes parasti, i mean everyone that is has a forum account, since the new captcha is working well (at least at the moment) the wiki would be free from spam bots.

@ deathstriker i totally disgree with your line of thinking, why a new member in the forums would not know the game good?

i know a list of players who doesn’t post regular or even didn’t post yet (but they have a forum account) who could probably teach us all how to play, the wiki doesn’t need to contain tecnical data only, it can contain strategies, tips, and much more; any member could contribute to it, the aiming guide could be a community effort, not an effort of just a small group of people.

Also i don’t agree that only “common members” should be able to edit it, i consider that a bad form of elitism, this game is free, and the forums/wiki should be as well, what a newcomer writes should count as the same of an old member; also how can you judge when someone is an old member? if is is the # of posts then i will suggest everyone to do lots of useless posts to get the access, if it is the time played then i would suggest to join a server and leave it on all day, if it is time on the forums then i would suggest to log in and leave the pc on for a week; no, you can’t measure the contribute of someone in maths.
    I still belive that lots of small contributions can make a big effort, exactly like an open source project should be, now you have to think that those forums/wiki are not your personal library, there will always be someone who will mess them up, they are a place for people to talk (i mean talk in the general meaning, not just trash talk or dev talk), and denying access only for the suspect that people could mess up things IS elitism, then why even getting new members if they could mess up the message boards?

@ boy: i tell you already, if i will be the moderator of the wiki group the first thing that i will do is select all the forums members and give them access, so please take in consideration that before proposing me, i like to make things clear and if you don’t like my line fo thinking then propose someone else.

Willis
    Participant

Typicly, I’m in favor of a limited staff able to modify things.

But I can understand Brain Damage is saying.

If there’s a way to have some sort of administrative level for making correction or locking down access… then we need people for that.

In other words… “Person123” is caught making problems with the Wiki so we need to block him from making modifications in the future.

The other rout I’d suggest would be (and I tried to mention this in the forums update thread)… have a wiki with a limited staff, then a forum where everyone can suggest things to be added.

But that’s not as productive.

As long as theres a distinction between the forums (conversations) and wiki (documents) … I’m satisfied.

Brain Damage
    Participant

first of all i want to apologize, i did not want to mix the wiki & the forums, i may created a bit confusion when i talked about the 2 subjects, i should have treated them more distinct.

about adminstrative actions in the wiki:

yes willis it is possible to ban an account (a sysop can do)

if this would be implementied i would like to suggest that people could post/edit only with a forum account, this way you can still let everyone to edit the wiki (creating a forum account is not that hard), people with already a forum account can edit it without a new account for the wiki, and you could still have a sort of control about who is editing/posting, a wiki ban should be indipenedent from a forum ban even if the account is the same.

if a small group would still be to access the wiki & people would have to post for changes:
    i belive the 2 things would end up running at different speeds, and would be kinda inefficient, everything should be written 2 times: in the forum & in the wiki.

now besides if the wiki will be open for everyone or just for few selectied members:
    as far as i know a wiki already contains a forum-like option to discuss pages, i am not sure if it is pratical to use that feature or just open another section on the forums as you pointed yourself willis, but that could be an option too (could be either used along/without giving free edit/post access to all forum members)

Deathstryker
    Participant

@Brain Damage wrote:

…why a new member in the forums would not know the game good?

Uhhhh, maybe they just come on wanting help getting the game running? Obviously we wouldn’t want these people having the power of editing the wiki.

Also, you talked about a way for someone to get easily around something like the number of forums posts to be able to edit the wiki. I’m not suggesting we go by numbers. I suggest that we go by someone’s behavior here at the forums. It’s mainly how the Admins were chosen and as you see, none of us have lost that privilege as Admin yet so apparently it’s worked pretty well.

You’re talking about having them be able to edit it with just signing up a new forum account… If someone wanted to do harm to the wiki, that’s all they’d have to do -Sign up a new forum account.

And to be completely honest, I don’t think there’s so much more that needs to be added to the wiki that it requires the whole forum to do so. Usually, when something new comes up like new syntax options, Rob adds them. If we have everyone be able to edit it, there is a chance that they might desperately try to find something to add whether it needs to be added or not just to be able to edit the wiki. Also, keep in mind that there have barely been any requests for the wiki and when something does come up it usually gets added promptly by us. That being said, I think the wiki is serving its purpose.

Brain Damage
    Participant

but same if they would want to harm the forums they whould just have to create mutiple accounts, they could still do harm, this way to acts seems a bit too much protectionistic.

and i don’t see anything wrong to give the power to edit the wiki to the people who comes here asking questions about how to run the game, those people could add they’re problem in the faq in the wiki; some of them would be too lazy/careless to do, some willl do

about the need to edit the wiki:

actually there is really not much need since it contains almost only tecnical data, most of the people are not interestied in that, but if would be free to edit then people could add more “humanistic” sections like strategy, tactics, gameplay and then people would get more interestied to edit it since it is something that doesn’t requies technical knowlege and many people can get benefit reading it

Deathstryker
    Participant

@Brain Damage wrote:

but same if they would want to harm the forums they whould just have to create mutiple accounts, they could still do harm, this way to acts seems a bit too much protectionistic.

But I think they are gonna be a lot less likely to if they’ve stayed around awhile and chatted and let everyone get to know them… Most people that want to do harm would want to do it right away (which they could if they were able to simply create an account and edit the wiki).

And it may seem a little off by electing some people over others but some people really want to help with the wiki more than others and some people deserve to more than others as they know the game more. Furthermore, someone could always ask to work on the wiki if they said they wanted to add something specific and I’m sure they’d be allowed to.

parasti
    Participant

@deathstryker wrote:

And it may seem a little off by electing some people over others but some people really want to help with the wiki more than others and some people deserve to more than others as they know the game more.

Not sure what you mean here. With everyone having access to the wiki, well, obviously everyone, including “some people”, has access to the wiki.

Deathstryker
    Participant

@parasti wrote:

@deathstryker wrote:

And it may seem a little off by electing some people over others but some people really want to help with the wiki more than others and some people deserve to more than others as they know the game more.

Not sure what you mean here. With everyone having access to the wiki, well, obviously everyone, including “some people”, has access to the wiki.

Sorry about that. To clarify, I was talking about my “selective” method.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.