This topic contains 44 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Rommel 7 years, 11 months ago.

• Author

ORCACommander
    Participant

I have spent over a thousand dollars at newegg and do not begrudge a single penny of it except for my router. Just look up my review for the DIR-625 for details. and that is a fine quality company for a psu.Newegg’s default shipping is amazing and usually arrives ahead of schedule.

Rommel
    Participant

Is it worth it? Good question but only you can provide the answer.

@Kangabunny wrote:

trying to decide wether to get overnight shipping or not, is it worth $25, or even 2 day delivrey for $16.95? itll still be cheaper than what i paid for the Failed Antec PsU.

(never bought online btw so alittle nervous making a purchase with my debit card, is newegg ever ripped you guys off?)

Thanks 😀
    KB

Regardless of the cost or what the seller had invested, a good deal can only be determined by the buyer. If you think the rapid shipping is worth the cost, do it. If you are in a hurry, perhaps there is a New Egg within driving distance that has it in stock or can have it for you “tomorrow” at no extra cost.

If so, perhaps your dad would like to go for a ride to marvel at the changing of the trees.

Laptops Daddy
    Participant

@Kangabunny wrote:

The only air flow im getting is your guys long winded replies about power supplys (haha)

: ) sorry, kangabunny. yes, we’re full of hot air. ‘specially me and rommel.

@rommel wrote:

Under the original ATX power supply standard, the air flow was mandated to intake from outside the case and exhaust into the case. The standard was later modified (Shazzam!) to allow air flow from either direction. I have no clue what the standard says now.

show me a citation and i’ll show you a wikipedia edit to correct it

ArmorWraith
    Participant

How about this one it gets free Shipping plus a higher wattage for my hairdryer! 😀

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139005&Tpk=TX650W%20%28650W%29

corsair is also highly reccomended.

this is a little over my needs for now, but who knows, college may bring about many changes.

Rommel, you have such a way with words, you should become a poet.

The wind whipsers in the trees
    I sit in the passenger seat staring out the window
    When i listen quietly i can hear the wind blow
    Me and my dad here we go
    Oh this new power supply will make my worry stop
    Searching for a new egg retail shop

Haah Thanks *bows*

KB

Rommel
    Participant

Did I mention the fan?

The two models linked have differnt fan styles.
    One is top mounted, the other rear mounted.

Does your case allow for proper venting using either style?

The only other thing I noticed before the fans was that the case vents are sheet metal with holes instead of wire. A simple wire guard provides low air resistence, less surface area for the accumulation of dust and provides for easy and complete cleaning.

If a 750 is what you have in mind, take a look at this one :

http://www.pcpower.com/power-supply/silencer-750-quad-black.html

ArmorWraith
    Participant

good catch on the fans, i would have never remembered that with all the other variables swirling around in my head, good thig you guys are here 😀

looks like ill be going with one of the other two i mentioned.

ArmorWraith
    Participant

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139006

This one seems to be the motherload of my research, had the fan in the back thank god. I havent looked over anything important have i?

Its got

– pci-e connecors i need
    -back end fan
    -wattage
    -nice color
    -affordable
    -free shipping
    -good ratings

all i am waiting for is your guys stamp of approval or advice.
    I realize i may still get a crap piece psu, but i will feel better about my self by asking theese necessary questions from you guys, and doing the research.

Thank you thank you for your help.

KB 😀

Laptops Daddy
    Participant

@Kangabunny wrote:

-back end fan

i think you should buy a design with a normal 120mm fan unless you have a special case that requires something different

ArmorWraith
    Participant

would it make a difference?

Is it the size?

Rommel
    Participant

Hey, nice poem. I’m glad you found me inspirational. Here’s a little beauty from me to youtie.

Me and my dad,
    Shooting the breeze,
    He’s just over there,
    Under the trees.

Match the venting and mounting styles to the original power supply and you should be fine. This will ensure that you don’t purchase a model that doesn’t work well in your enclosure. Your dad is most likely the best person to ask since he designed the machine. Surely he would be pleased if you told him about your search and requested his opinion on your selection before making the purchase.

The Antec model you had problems with was a top fan model. As I understand things, it was not the original power supply. If a top mounted fan was not the original style, but that is what you decide upon, ensure that your enclosure affords adaquate air flow with that style. This will ensure that you aren’t starving the fan.

Good luck with it.

P.S. – The Corsair seems fine to me if it is the original style. According to the MTBF rating, you can expect it to perform for about 11.4 operating years.

Laptops Daddy
    Participant

most cases will be fine with a PSU with a 120mm fan. there are a few very rare exceptions where the case has the PSU bottom front etc, but i doubt that applies.

a 120mm fan will usually be quieter, keep the PSU cooler and will aid system cooling overall. thats what most people want.

rom, you mean bottom mounted : P best you dont fit a PSU upside down.

ps:
    i agree, corsair would be fine, or any of the others. (including the same model youre replacing). you prob just had a dodgy unit. and buy a surge protector

Rommel
    Participant

No, I actually meant top mounted as all of them were pictured with the fan up.

The stardard indicated the following :

The power connection should be on the right side when the case is viewed from the rear with the top up. The photo below indicated the P.S. has a top mounted fan. But then …

@laptops Daddy wrote:

rom, you mean bottom mounted : P best you dont fit a PSU upside down.

This is a photo of the Antec model that KangaBunny purchased.
    [attachment=1:2tkcb9s9]antec ea 650 rear.jpg[/attachment:2tkcb9s9]
    When looking at the side of the enclosure where the cables exit, the cables are to be on the right side of the enclosure. The overhead shot shows that the only way to rotate the case such that the cables are on the right side is to flip the case over.

Thanks for the correction.

Some would argue that directing the air flow straight through the case is a better design than blowing the air onto the circuit board as in the Antec design shown. I tend to agree with that line of thought unless there is a special need to pull the air in perpendiculary to cool a nearby component.

Laptops Daddy
    Participant

@rommel wrote:

blah blah blah etc etc

ja ja

@rommel wrote:

Thanks for the correction.

Some would argue…

yw. not many.

i dont want to be rude.

damn. its like its a pc enthusiasts convention and everyones invited.

something thats almost worth arguing is preference for negative vs positive case pressure. (its a bit cliched but i dont mind arguing it for fun). start a new thread maybe?

Rommel
    Participant

With the Antec PS oriented as photographed (fan on top) the mounting holes conform to the ATX standard. Unless his enclosure provides mounting holes for another orientation, it would seem that the fan must be oriented to the top.
    [attachment=0:s2y48myl]ATX Standard.JPG[/attachment:s2y48myl]
    Without knowing the case he is using there is no way to be sure of what his specific application mandates in this regard.

There is no mention of the specific enclosure being used.

Laptops Daddy
    Participant

@rommel wrote:

the mounting holes conform to the ATX standard…

ive started an offtopic thread so we can argue without spamming. hope you dont mind.

here:
    viewtopic.php?f=12&t=5885

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 46 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.