This topic contains 14 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Anonymous 14 years, 12 months ago.

• Author

Anonymous
    Participant

every time i play the game, and i shoot a missile larger then a baby it tells me this error when its supposed to be exploding saying something about an error with ‘0x695392a2’ referenced memory at ‘0x1018e1D0’ so i dono what that means at all, or how to fix it… but if u could possibly know what that means PLEASE tell me how to fix it… cuz playin with tracers and baby’s is fun, but i wana see some of these big boys! oh! and awesome graphics by the way… HUGE step up from the 2D version. so are you the original creator of the Scorched Earth series or are you just a guy who wanted to make a 3d version?

Anonymous
    Participant

I think I have figured out what the problem is.
    I think it is because some of the sound files are using a different audio format. It only uses these files when firing some of the larger weapons, at this point it figures out it does not have the correct codac and crashes.

I have converted all of the sound files to the same base format and will put a new version on the site tonight.

No, I am not the original creator, just some guy….

Anonymous
    Participant

Hey Gavin, um… the new version didnt work… but now all it does is come up with a error saying, ‘Error with Scorch.exe’… I’m running Windows XP, with 1.4 gig athlon processor, 512 mb’s of ram, so i dont think it could be the speed of my computer. u know? but since its Windows Xp thats all its tellin me… and it says do i want to send a copy of the report to microsoft or some crap… and it can give me all the ‘technical’ crap of what exactly went wrong, but i can’t highlight it, and its WAY to long to save a screen shot of it. not to mention that i can’t read it… i’m not computer illiterate, but i’m not a computer god. i know my stuff, but programing i dont know. so is there any way to find out whats goin wrong? cuz it stops when the shell is supposed to explode… it fires it just fine, and fallows it like its supposed to, but when it hits the ground… ‘error’… hepe please! cuz other then the use of no bigger bombs then a baby its awesome! but i wanna play for real, know what i mean?

Anonymous
    Participant

OH! forgot to say, i’m running it at 640 x 480 at 60 hz 32bbp… and i have the full clear checked, and No GL extentions boxes checked. running ‘small(3dfx and software) just so it runs REALLY smooth. not to mention on my computer it looks bout the same… i cant tell a diff. and it has the same prob. even on ‘Large’. but when i go at that, it comes up with ‘the instruction at ‘0x69532a2’ refrenced at memor at ‘0x1028eb60’. the memort could not be ‘written’. so i dono what the heck that means but… what ever… please help! hey! now that i just went back in to check what i just told you was true… now at ‘large’ it freezes when the shell is suppposed to explode even with the smallest bomb! so i dono whats up w that. but help please!
    wow this is really long! lol!

Anonymous
    Participant

Hey Shah. If you can post some more information about your computer (type of video card, type of sound card, type of memory, etc) it’ll be much easier to help. There are a few ways of getting this information:

(1) If your keyboard has a Windows logo key (it probably does), hold that and press the PAUSE/BREAK key in the upper-right corner. Skip 2 and 3 and follow the rest of the directions.

(2) (When using the XP start menu) Click on Start, then right-click ‘my computer’. Select Properties, then check under 3 for the rest of the directions.

(3) (When using the classic start menu) Right-click the ‘my computer’ icon on your desktop and select properties.

A dialog will appear. Click on the ‘hardware’ tab, then click the ‘device manager’ button. To find out information about your video card, click the plus sign next to ‘Display Adaptors’. There should only be one entry there (mine is ‘NVIDIA GeForce4 MX 440’, for instance). For your sound card, click on the plus next to ‘Sound, Video, and Game Controllers’ category. There will be several entries. Mine, for instance, has ‘Audio Codecs’, ‘Creative Game Port’, ‘Creative SB Live! Value’ (if you have an SB Live!, it’ll say Value no matter if you have the latest drivers…I have Platinum, for instance), ‘Legacy Audio Drivers’, ‘Legacy Video Capture Devices’, ‘Media Control Devices’, and ‘Video Codecs’. You can safely ignore ‘Audio Codecs’, ‘Legacy Audio Drivers’, ‘Legacy Video Capture Devices’, ‘Media Control Devices’, and ‘Video Codecs’, because they are standard Windows drivers, and everyone has them.

As for the type of RAM, there’s no good way of checking that unless you *know* what kind you have (probably PC133 for a 1.4GHz Athlon, though).

As for the type of errors you’re getting (‘memory could not be ‘written”), it could be a multitude of things. There could be a timing issue with your computer’s memory (this happened in Windows 2000 on my old computer), bad memory, and the list goes on.

Anonymous
    Participant

well… thats a lot… just FYI, i’m not THAT computer illiterate. you didnt have to go THAT deep into detale, like how to get to the Device manager, or any of that stuff, or which audio controllers or video cards n stuff… N E ways… i have a S3 Graphics ProSaviage video card. um… do u need any more info on that? it has the latest drivers installed… um.. for the Audio… i have a VIA AC’97 Audio Controller (WDM)… with latest drivers installed. well… iknow its 512 MG’s of SD Ram? does that help at all? probably not… how bout… AMD Atholon XP 1600+??? is that helpful? hope so… although knowing my luck… probably not… oh, and maybe we could do this easier over like MSN messanger or AIM… cuz i have both… so i dono… if so, my MSN s
    is ‘GodScorpio@msn.com‘ or my AIM s
    is ‘God Scorpio’… um… i’m on West Coast time, for Oregon, i dono where u are… um… but i’ll be home by 3:30 on tuesday… (thats my time)… um… IM me if u want… no obligation… i’ll be on N E ways, so dont think that i’ll be there just for u, so dont feel obligated at all aright? well… i hope you can help! thanx!

Anonymous
    Participant

Wow, what a load of text

This is a strange error as the code to explode a larger bomb is just the same as a smaller one. The only difference is the sound that they play and the size of the damage.

Perhaps you could try going into the datawav directory and playing some of the large and xlarge files to see if they work using media player.

Anonymous
    Participant

well… I went into the wav. files and played EVERY one, and they all worked just fine. but i’d already done that even witht he older version, just out of boredim… so i dono what the problem is… would running it in a spicific compatability mode, for like windows 2000, or 98, 95, Me, or any of thoes make a diff? probably not, but… we…(we= what ever, no one ever gets that!) N E ways… i dono what the prob. could be… Ok… i just went in and played around… now SOMETIMES a mediom size warhead will work… such as Missels, not babys, but missiles… and riot bombs will work sometimes too… so i dono what the problem is… i’m goin to go back in and try to work my way up to a nuke!

Anonymous
    Participant

well… um… I got Missiles to work… half the time… and riot bombs to work only if the Missiles work… Babys work all the time… but baby nukes and anything bigger wont… so i dono what or where the problem is… but its not in the wav. files… so… i dono… do you have N E idea on what it could possibly be? could it just my dumb computer? is there a setting, do you think, that i should make on my computer? i dono… but thanx for all your help!

Anonymous
    Participant

Maybe you have a corrupted download???

Anonymous
    Participant

Well, i’ve downloaded it three times… so i dont think so. but thanx for the try! i need any help i can get!

Anonymous
    Participant

Hmm…it doesn’t sound like anything should be going wrong. I’m still learning towards a hardware issue, though it seems weird that it would only happen when you use the larger bombs, especially considering that all of the explosions are based on the same code. It probably isn’t bad memory, because the problem is too consistant for that. I doubt your video card is running out of memory because IIRC, Savages have at least 32MB, and it still happens at lower detail. Also, the game doesn’t have a problem with Athlons (though there’s no reason that it would anyway)…my cousin has an Athlon XP 1800+ and it runs fine. There’s no way your system’s too slow, because it works fine on my Pentium III 750 (well…with the exception of many explosions ala Death Head, but I have it on high detail at 800×600).

Do you have any other Windows versions on your computer like 98? Heh…probably not, but if you do, I’d try it in that just to see if it works.

The only thing I’d think would be a possibility is the video card drivers. IIRC, S3’s drivers are a tad buggier than most. Do other games work fine?

Also, about the IM thing, I only use ICQ (I only use one — I don’t like too much complication) and I’m hardly ever on that, so that won’t work.

And Gaven, you’re right, this thread does have a lot of text.

Anonymous
    Participant

well… mmmm… see w Xp if u go into the program’s property box you can make it run in compatibilty w any windows version except 3.1… but why would u want to run a windows 3.1 program any ways right? N E ways… i tried all of them and none of them work… um… also i tried goin up to High detail, and sometimes it’ll come up w the same problem even with baby missiles! i dont know what it could possibly be… what specs do you think i should be running it at? i dono… this game is so messed up on my computer! agh… its awesome though! messed up but awesome… not ur fault Gavin but… still messed up… Thanx so much for all your help! Oh almsont forgot a question… um… yeah all other games work fine… like ‘the sims’ i’ve played before, um… ‘Black & White’ worked fine… and i mean like no problems with any of thoes… i dont hink i’ve ever had a problem with any games before… i dont hink…um… and some others that seemed a lil bigger then this one did too… so i dono what the prob. is… thanx again!

Anonymous
    Participant

too much for you all to read through?

need spammy msgs?

i’ll shut up now

Anonymous
    Participant

Sorry to hear it is still not working.

I have tried it at work on a another s3 Savage chipset and it works fine.

I am afraid I do not have too much time at the moment to look into it as I am maxed out doing the network code.

I will look into it when I release the next version. The only thing left for me to try is to check the program for memory errors (although I have done this and it looks fine) and to add more switches to turn on/off more settings.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.