This topic contains 4 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  wallyfoo 13 years, 6 months ago.

• Author

fab4
    Participant

OK Unix experts, what’s this error message mean:
    dyld: /usr/local/games/scorched3d/scorched3d-binary-OSX version mismatch for library: /sw/lib/libiconv.2.dylib (compatibility version of user: 5.0.0 greater than library’s version: 3.0.0)
    Trace/BPT trap

I’ve trashed the games directory and reinstalled the .dmg version and I still get this error message on startup.

wallyfoo
    Participant

Trashing the install directory and reinstalling from the .dmg isn’t going to help you in this case.

Scorched 3d is looking for a library on your system to help it run. The one it finds is in /sw/lib and apparently your installed version is incompatible with what Scorched 3d expects.

Fink installs into /sw/lib, so I’m guessing something you’ve installed with fink loaded up an incompatible libiconv.2 library.

Use fink to update the libiconv 2 package to start. Try FinkCommander (which you probably have if you’ve installed fink). Look for libiconv and update the installed packages. Then try Scorched3d again.

At this point this is the best I can help you with because I’ve been toiling to compile the 37.1 version and hadn’t really played with the 36.x version at all.

Or you can roll up your sleeves and install the current version from source (which is the only way to participate in internet play on 37.1 servers until there’s a mac package available.

I’ve never created a package installer before. I’ll do a little research to see what needs to happen and see if I can’t package up my successful compile for public consumption and send it here for download.

kit

fab4
    Participant

OK, updated fink (which I originally installed under OSX 10.2 with Apple’s beta X11). Did a fink selfupdate – so I’m up to version 0.7 CVS. Updated and installed all packages per the info on sourceforge.net fink OSX 10.3 instructions and rebooted the system.

Still get EXACTLY the same error message as before about libiconv

I’m stumped.

On my other Mac which is currently running OSX 10.3.3 (and never installed Fink) – I have no problem running Scorched3d 36.2. Note I installed scorched 36.2 using tar and start the game from the X11 command line on both Macs.

Any suggestions? Will uninstalling fink solve my problems?

wallyfoo
    Participant

@fab4 wrote:

Any suggestions? Will uninstalling fink solve my problems?

Hrm.
    1. Download Apple’s X11. Install it.
    2. in terminal, execute this command:

sudo mv /sw /sw_test

This will move fink’s directories out of your active path. Try running Scorched3d in Apple’s X11. If this works, great. If not, move the sw directory back to it’s original place.

sudo mv /sw_test /sw 

I still think it’s because of something in the /sw directory. Are you using your fink-installed x11 package on the 10.2 Mac or Apple’s?

fab4
    Participant

Thank you, thank you, thank you. Scorched3d 36.2 is working fine. Should I worry about this message when starting up the X11 terminal:
    tcsh: /sw/bin/init.csh: No such file or directory?

I noticed the Apple’s X11 installer for OSX 10.3 didn’t recreate the /sw folder.

What exactly is in the /sw folder (now called sw_test)? Can I trash it?

wallyfoo
    Participant

@fab4 wrote:

Thank you, thank you, thank you. Scorched3d 36.2 is working fine. Should I worry about this message when starting up the X11 terminal:
    tcsh: /sw/bin/init.csh: No such file or directory?

I noticed the Apple’s X11 installer for OSX 10.3 didn’t recreate the /sw folder.

What exactly is in the /sw folder (now called sw_test)? Can I trash it?

If you’re feeling brave you can
    sudo mv /sw_test /sw

And try it again.

That error you’re getting is due to a line in your .tcshrc file (an invisible file in your home directory that tells your terminal session how to behave) that was placed there when you installed fink. The script it’s looking for is a shell script that tells your terminal to look in fink-created directories for any executables or libraries you may have installed with fink.

Apple’s X11 will not recreate the /sw folder, nor should it. That folder was created by fink to install its libraries and executables into. If you had a specific need for something installed by fink in the past, you should definitely ‘sudo mv /sw_test /sw’ to get that functionality back. If you don’t need anything installed by fink then it’s fine to leave the /sw folder put under its new name or delete it entirely. If you get rid of it, you’ll probably want to ‘pico .tcshrc’ and kill the line that refers to ‘/sw/bin/init.csh’ eventually.

If you’re unsure, don’t delete the /sw folder and don’t touch your .tcshrc file. You have been warned. 😉

I’d try moving the /sw directory back and running scorched 3d again just to test.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.