This topic contains 31 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  hoopy frood 12 years, 12 months ago.

• Author

Anonymous
    Participant

Well, I also have some suggestions to make:

a) Map size determined by number of players. Yeah, I know what needs to come with that: max power also depending on number of players, so you have a chance of hitting everyone as long as you are not damaged. But sometimes having 10 human players means the game is over too soon, as in round 3 or 4 the first death heads will appear and obliterate whole islands.

b) “Worms”ish instant-replay-feature, showing in slo-mo every shot killing 2 or more enemy tanks. I WOULD love that. Maybe even better: As its all ballistics, the game could know the kills before they actually happen. Maybe a little time after apogee, the game would then pause, play a nice little disco-piece and continue in slo-mo. kinda excludes my suggestion c) from the list, but it actually love to have this 😉 Maybe server-configurable?

c) Feature for bomblet-weapons: Ability to trigger detachment on any stage of the shot by pressing fire again. This means you could split your death-head some time after apogee, only devastating a smaller area, so you might be able to avoid friendly tanks. Maybe server configurable?

d) 180-degree-turn button. Its a great thing when you have wrapping borders and realize that your nemesis is just behing that annoying hill you cant seem to get over.

e) More hud-buttons. It sucks having to switch using “i” and then realizing that you did not activate the right mode, spending 10 more seconds of your turn time to get it right.

f) Forced fire on time out, server config? Some people will just wait out as they are afraid of hitting a teammate (which is half of what makes the game so hilarious).

g) Server configurable option to allow for taunts (e.g. player having a taunt.ogg or something in his game-folder, which will be played whenever he hits an enemy). See b) 😉

h) Eye-candy: whenever the camera is withing a certain radius from a water-impact, the lens will be sprayed with little drops.

ii) Eye-candy: A nice little OFP-ish compass.

j) Eye-candy: Looking into a nuclear explosion makes the screen go white.

k) Eye-candy: fog (!!!1oneoneelevenexclamationmark!!)

l) Eye-candy: Grass (just an idea).

And THANKS for this great game 🙂

Cheers
    Sebastian

Bobirov
    Participant

Well I’ve been collecting my thoughts about things for a while now and figured I would go ahead and post them finally. Most of this stuff would probably require a moderate amount of work to implement but I think I have at least a few good ideas here. Any comments/criticisms are welcome of course. So, lets get down to business here.

1) Change the overall interaction behaviour between rollers and shields. As it stands now, even a SINGLE SIZE 4 roller will totally disable ANY shield. For some reason rollers roll straight through shields instead of detonating on contact. Also, currently if a projectile “containing” rollers hits a reflect shield, the projectile breaks open on contact releasing the rollers (which fall straight through, cancelling shield and killing person). Instead the projectile should bounce off and release the rollers when it collides with the ground like any other weapon does. In the case that the rollers are released and wind up rolling into a shield (any type) they should then blow up on contact, damaging the shield accordingly.

2) Editting of the mag and reflect shield behaviour. As it is now, reflect shields provide protection against indirect damage just like a normal shield in addition to reflecting direct hits. In the old scorched I thought that if you hit right next to a reflect shield (but still within the weapon’s blast radius) it would provide NO protection. Instead both the shield and the tank were damaged.

3) When napalm travels along a flat surface and encounters a steep uphill slope, instead of turning along the flat surface it can go straight up the slope. It also has a tendancy to hug the edge of a flat surface but that isn’t really a big deal compared to the slope thing. I personally think that it shouldn’t be able to flow uphill in any circumstance unless it fills up the area it is being contained in.

4) Make it so that if earth is removed below napalm that is currently burning/travelling, it will fall to earth and continue flowing downhill from its new location. The napalm timer should be counting down while it is falling so that if it runs out, the napalm will fizzle out mid-air.

5) (deleted)

6) Its already in the TODO list, but I will second it. Ability to provide a mask for starting areas on a landscape for both team and non team play. Don’t know exactly how elaborate you would care to make this but at least the ability to define general regions of the map that teams/players are allowed to spawn in. This will really be a big help for doing things like keeping people from spawning right next to walls and so forth blocking their shots.

7) In addition to a location mask, another optional mask to define indestructable portions of the map would be cool as well. This would be cool for making indestructable walls for use on landscapes like Castle and Maze.

8) A serverside option to give a set amount of cash to every player (excluding the winner maybe?) at the end of every single round. This would help out beginners and people who are otherwise out of cash.

9) I think I recall seeing this in the TODO list as well, but again I will second the need for it. The option to maintain player’s amount of cash they have if they exit the game and re-enter during the same game (before the number of rounds has expired). This will prevent people from logging in and firing the biggest weapon they can afford only to relog and do it again.

10) Add the ability to sort the buy list by price in addition to the current name/grouping sorts. This would be a big help when you’re trying to find the biggest thing you can afford. 🙂

11) The ability to choose your color in deathmatch games in the Team menu would be very nice. Sometimes I will get a color that I cannot see too well on my monitor and it makes it hard to find my guy every round. Plus it would just be nice to actually have a say in what color is representing my avatar… 🙂

12) I would like to eventually see some admin commands that could be typed in the console to handle things like kicks/bans. This would also require a way to define people as admins (by uniqueid?) and maybe give them a password. I think this would allow servers to set rules and and keep them enforced far better than currently possible.

13) After implementation of admin commands, it would be AWESOME to have a map voting system that could be triggered by an admin. It would be nice to have an onscreen dialog with a list of maps pop up to aid in the process but even just having to have people say or type the name of the map in the console would be ok. By name I mean the name that is displayed in the landscapes dialog, not the name of the height map .bmp.

14) One of my favorite ideas that I have had for a long time would be an additional tab in server settings that would allow for the configuration of weighted sets of custom rules for special rounds that have a chance at coming up each round. Example:

Lunar Battle
    1/6 gravity

Moon100
    Craters100
    Weathered50

Payday
    Damage Rewards Maxed!

A way to define when special rounds occur would be required as well. It would be nice to have the option to either define specific rounds that are special (the last round for instance) or to define a chance that a special round will occur (say 10 percent chance default). Once a round is determined to be special, the rules are chosen by weight. The ruleset name and description are then flashed at the beginning of the round.

This would open up the window to creating a HUGE variety of gameplay. Imagine being able to have random rounds where only size 3 or smaller weapons can be fired or where weapons size is changed to large or small. There are a ton of possibilties and I think it would be alot of fun :).

I’m sorry to make this such a long post, but like I said, I’ve been writing all this stuff down for a while now and am just now getting around to posting it all. I also don’t want to come off sounding like the game needs to be changed, it does not. It is already very good, but I feel some of these changes could help make it even greater than it already is. And that is always the goal am I right? 🙂

Sincerely,
    Rob Hand

Bobirov
    Participant

I mentioned this once before in a previous post, but I figured I’d ask again as it is related to the next two things. Could we please get a series of three checkboxes to select which walls to use on a server instead of the single selectbox. This way we would have the option to use 2 out of the 3 wall types if we wanted to. And the reason I ask this is because I just find concrete walls to be flawed and I don’t want to use them but wrap and bounce walls are great. I just think that concrete walls have a few things that seem wrong to me.

The first issue I have with concrete walls is the way dirt interacts with them. Shoot a “Ton of Dirt” high into the air at a concrete wall and you will see that the pile of dirt forms right at the point of impact, creating a tall pillar of dirt that generally has LOD issues. In the old Scorched Earth, dirt always fell to the ground and reformed a pile at ground level. It would be nice to see a similar behaviour in Scorched 3D. The falling of the dirt doesn’t have to be animated, but the overall result should occur. Instead of creating a pile of dirt high in the air, the dirt should wind up being piled up occording to the landscape height directly underneath the point of impact.

The second, and to me more important issue is that anytime a weapon with secondary bomblets (ie a funky bomb) impacts on a concrete wall, the weapon is completely destroyed. I have checked on a recent CVS build and I believe it is still like this. I personally think that when a weapon like a funky bomb impacts on a concrete wall, the secondary bomblets should still dispurse from the point of impact. Basically it should be just like an impact with the ground. This really would give concrete walls a useable strategy of their own.

I think at least the checkboxes or some other form of selecting different combinations of wall types should be added. Not everyone likes all three wall types, but they don’t just want to use one wall type either. Kind of like you made the breezy and gale settings for wind. And as for the second two issues, I really think they are flaws in the wall behaviour and should be addressed. Of course if they were changed, I could get to liking the concrete walls and I wouldn’t really need the checkboxes but hey, it’d still be nice to have the option. 🙂

hoopy frood
    Participant

I think It would be cool if you were able to play target practice while waiting for a game to start(server). Sometimes Ill log on to a server with no one there and wait for other players. Target practice would help a)to kill time b) improve skill.

Maybe a lame idea and sorry if it was covered before.

“Am I me or not?”

Hoopy Frood

hobbesme
    Participant

@hoopy frood wrote:

I think It would be cool if you were able to play target practice while waiting for a game to start(server). Sometimes Ill log on to a server with no one there and wait for other players. Target practice would help a)to kill time b) improve skill.

That idea ROCKS! 😮

I cannot start a second game on my PC to play while also waiting on a server for players to join.

Allowing some dummy bots or even cool targets to shoot at until a second player joins is a GREAT idea! 8)

Reactorfighter
    Participant

Hello gcamp, and gamerZ!

Remember me? Well, I have an announcement for gcamp. The environmental sound effects, which you requested, will soon be ready. I planned 3 environmental background sound effects, which are the following:
    – Green fields (Warning! Very relaxing and pleasant!!!)
    – Windblow
    – Storm approach (without real lightning though)
    – Abandoned sea shore (also a very nice piece of work)
    – Wild life (no comment)

Well, once I finished with these, they will be ready for send to gcamp. The question is: How can I send them? Because these are .WAV files, their size is quite large compared to MP3 files, and it’s impossible to send them by e-mail. gcamp, if you read this, tell me how to send the environmental background sound, in case if you still need them for the next version of the game.
    I’m waiting for your response! :)[/b]

Anonymous
    Participant

Since they are uncompresed .WAV files, I recommend finding out how well they compress e.g. rar or bzip2 or just plain zip.

Obviously the audio won’t compress as well as text would, but it might be enough to be able to email it.

Ebonite
    Participant

Wish list request:

Radar! Be able to buy an accessory that will show all shots by all players as color coded smoke tracers. super expensive, of course, say $50k – $70k. for those super strategy freaks like me…

that is all

poolee
    Participant

@anonymous wrote:

Since they are uncompresed .WAV files, I recommend finding out how well they compress e.g. rar or bzip2 or just plain zip.

Obviously the audio won’t compress as well as text would, but it might be enough to be able to email it.

Should be no probs converting to mp3 and then back to wav – even 256 bit encoding is relatively small compared to a wav file! When converted back to wav, the amount of data loss will be inaudible to the human ear. Just an idea…

cbx550f
    Participant

Something I’ve been thinking about is the possibility of a “special shield” (or perhaps two different ones) to protect against rollers and sandhogs. I would think that a shield that protects against damage from the side and/or bottom would be good fun strategy – ie: Hobbes knows me and that I’m oft found throwing Baby Rollers, so he buys a Roller Deflector Shield, if I do the expected and throw the roller, it saves him for at least a shot or two, but if I did something unexpected like just throwing a baby missile – a headshot would get him.

Perhaps this could essentially work like an inverted mag shield.

My 2¢.

cbx

Reactorfighter
    Participant

Hello again, folks!

I think, the WAV problem becomes solved soon. I would gladly convert them to MP3, and send them simply by e-mail, but I doubt gcamp has MP3 > WAV converter (it’s easy to download a trial, and crack it though 😉 ) Well, I’ll send them to his FTP address then. So the next version of Scorched3D will have some background sound effects made by me. When it’s released, write me a short opinion 🙂

Long live the fighters! (and gamers!)

Reactorfighter
    Participant

Greetings chums!

The environmental background sound effects are ready, and operational now. They have been sent successfully, and I hope the next version of the game will have them 🙂

hobbesme
    Participant

@cbx550f wrote:

Something I’ve been thinking about is the possibility of a “special shield” … Hobbes knows me and that I’m oft found throwing Baby Rollers, so he buys a Roller Deflector Shield, if I do the expected and throw the roller, it saves him for at least a shot or two, but if I did something unexpected like just throwing a baby missile – a headshot would get him.

Awww, I’m honored to be mentioned.

And don’t you be throwing our baby missiles around when I’m out of town! I didn’t raise no baby missiles to be tossed around like sacks of TNT!

Bobirov
    Participant

Well while I do have a ton of ideas about things that I think would be cool in the game, I just thought I would mention a few basic changes that I think would be helpful and somewhat easy to implement.

The first thing that I think would be helpful is a button that will select/deselect all landscapes on the landscape options dialog. In the event that you have all the landscapes enabled and you just want to run one or two of them, it is quite tedious to have to click through every landscape (especially in mods with many added). Similarly if you’ve just run a single landscape and want to reselect all of them it can be equally tedious and time consuming. A simple button that toggles all the landscapes on and off would be just lovely :).

Another landscape related change I would like to see is that there was some way to prevent the same landscape from running twice in a row. For some reason, it seems fairly common to see the same landscape happen twice in a row and for static landscapes this really isn’t very appealing. Whether it be an option in the environment options or by creating a means to do a map rotation (e.g. FPS style games) or even hard-coded and invisible to the user, I don’t mind how its done. I just think it would be better if you could prevent the same landscape from running twice in a row somehow.

Another thing that I have noticed is that when you have “Give All Weapons” enabled, is that you seem to get a hard-coded amount of fuel and batteries. I personally think you might as well give infinite of these two accessories as well. True that if this was done in a multiplayer game it could make for a potentially never ending battle but I think it makes more sense to give infinite of ALL accessories, not just most of them.

The last thing I would like to request is related to the speed controls in single player games. Yes we have the ability to speed the game up at a rate of 2x, 4x, etc, but why don’t we have a way to slow down the game speed or even pause the game as well? This might perhaps seem silly, but I think it would be awesome to be able to slow the game down when using more complex weapons or during lengthy chain reactions. It also would make it easier when you’re trying to take screenshots of weapons and you can slow things down or even pause the game completely to snap a shot at just the right instant. This request might seem a bit frivolous and unnecessary, but I don’t think so and I don’t think it would be too hard to implement.

Well there you have it, just a few fairly simple ideas that I think would be quite sensical and helpful. Questions/comments are always welcomed of course.

imported_gcamp
    Participant

@bobirov wrote:

Well while I do have a ton of ideas about things that I think would be cool in the game, I just thought I would mention a few basic changes that I think would be helpful and somewhat easy to implement.

All done… 🙂

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 33 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.