This topic contains 84 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Deathbal 6 years, 8 months ago.

• Author

Laptops Daddy
    Participant

@tlon wrote:

Our president to be the next I hope

was cameron elected?

uk 2010. 1/3 of people didnt bother voting, because there’s no point. of the remaining 2/3, 36% voted for the winning party (i think). so by my maths, 24% of the people in the uk wanted the current PM to win, 43% wanted someone else.

no one won, because the system’s broken. so, clegg (lib dems), who secured record votes from people whose last choice would be conservative (anything but, i bet you, in most cases), propped up cameron. (it turned out they were old bum buddies at eton, or summit).

i imagine conservatives who are down with the system are more inclined to vote.

76% of people in the uk didnt want the current PM in power, isnt much of a stretch.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Egyptian_presidential_election,_2005

PeanutsRevenge
    Participant

@deathbal wrote:

@naked wrote:

Mubarak chose D.

I have a few question. I am asking because I truly don’t know.

1. Was Mubarak ever elected? Choosing not to run for reelection would indicate he was previously elected, would it not?

2. Also, if there were elections why would the people be rioting? Wouldn’t they simply wait to vote him out? I was under the impression they are rioting because they are not happy with him or the state of the country with him as ruler, and he intends to stay. Am I wrong?

3. And finally, he says he is not running for reelection? Are there going to be elections? If so, would it matter if he ran or not? I think the people are making it perfectly clear they don’t want him. It’s not like he has any chance of winning. But then again, there was that election in Iran not too long ago.

1. Not sure, Wiki it, I’m sure the answer will be there.

2 & 3. From what I’ve been reading, the votes have been rigged ‘apparently’.

NAKED
    Participant

Mubarak was put in power after Sadat was assassinated in 1981. Every election after that became more and more of a sham. There is, or was, going to be elections in September.

It’s wonderful to see my tax dollars at work in the form of M1 Abrams tanks, F-16’s and tear gas under the control of a US backed dictator.

Now the word on the street is Mubarak has paid police and anyone else he can to stage violent pro-government rallys to beat down the real protesters. The Army has orders not to interfere. He wants complete choas so the people will look to anyone, even him, for leadership.

Mubarak fiddled while Cairo burned!

PeanutsRevenge
    Participant

It’s better to have a dictator in power that doesn’t go around starting wars with the rest of the middle east than one that does.

That’s why he’s been getting support from the west.

Loke
    Participant

Saddam Hussein did enjoy western support during the 80´ies, the mujahedin did enjoy western support in the 80´ies. Both do not anymore – how come? (I know SD is dead)

Global chess and the well being of the people does not matter at all, they are the peasants and expendable. Whats more important; a secure pathway through the Suez channel or a fair government in Cairo? The security of the only western democracy in the middle east with its faults and its tendentious media like the rest of our nations media?

Im dammed stupid and just want peace;) and some very strict regulations on the financial sector to cap their inclination as, Helmut Schmidt, former chancellor of the western Germany, called it “Raubtier Kapitalismus” or predator capitalism. Which incidently plays no small part in the production and selling of armaments, each crisis is water on their mills.

Chopper
    Participant

That whole part of the world is getting absolutely scary.
    And I fear our president has encouraged part of it by calling for “change” again.
    I have a feeling the world isn’t going to like what it gets so much.
    Mohamed ElBaradei (the UN atomic agency chief that turned a blind eye to iran and what theyre up to) that seems headed for power is backed by the muslim brotherhood, and they have a you tube that blames all the unrest on Israel. Huh?
    he may be a figure head http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704775604576120443506757576.html
    and other countries are quickly trying to open talks with the MB.
    and now Yemen is heating up…..
    Things are moving fast.
    I think the moderates are heavily participating in getting rid of mubarak…they want and need a democracy….but they better look out because what replaces him could be more than they bargained for and may not be so easy (relative term) to get rid of.
    I truly hope the everyday people and their families survive.

Loke
    Participant

Chop – you cant believe neocon scaremongers and hope its alright if things stay as they where yesterday.
    The western world do/did support inhuman regimes around the world, our support does not call for fair regimes, stable are fine if our expectations/demands are met.

Think

ArmorWraith
    Participant

ouch way to divide the line loke.

Armor

NAKED
    Participant

There is another call for a large scale gathering of protesters tomorrow. Even though my heart is with the protesters it may not accomplish any more than it already has. Mubarak has made it clear he will not leave and as long as the Military leaders are complicit he will remain. He is now going with choice B, waiting out the protesters, with a dash of A, reeking havoc but not complete chaos.

The international community uses word like “transition” but won’t directly call for him to step down. Egyptian officials basically told everyone to mind their own business.

Capitialist countries LOVE doing business with dictatorships. The more corrupt the better. No dessent, slave labor, a predator capitalists paradise.

As long as the Army is stable, Mubarak will stay. If the people can neutralize the Army (without directly attacking them), Mubarak will be shown the door. On-going protests might make the Army dissolve. So…

For those about to “rock”…I salute you.

PeanutsRevenge
    Participant

@chopper wrote:

That whole part of the world is getting absolutely scary.
    And I fear our president has encouraged part of it by calling for “change” again.
    I have a feeling the world isn’t going to like what it gets so much.
    Mohamed ElBaradei (the UN atomic agency chief that turned a blind eye to iran and what theyre up to) that seems headed for power is backed by the muslim brotherhood, and they have a you tube that blames all the unrest on Israel. Huh?
    he may be a figure head http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704775604576120443506757576.html
    and other countries are quickly trying to open talks with the MB.
    and now Yemen is heating up…..
    Things are moving fast.
    I think the moderates are heavily participating in getting rid of mubarak…they want and need a democracy….but they better look out because what replaces him could be more than they bargained for and may not be so easy (relative term) to get rid of.
    I truly hope the everyday people and their families survive.

Seriously?

Every ‘developed’ country has gone through these kinds of periods to get to where we/they are.

This is a good thing IMO, the people are growing a pair of nuts (we need MORE nuts in the world 😉 ) and standing up and being counted.

It still amazes me how Americans I hear are constantly saying all this shit’s bad, but look back at their own war of independance as a good thing.

Hypocrites?

Ignorance?

Or am I just a dumb brit (I can be a dumb aswell as one of the above)

Chopper
    Participant

Peanut…..I have read alot about our seperation from….*ahem* British oppression…and in that perspective you’re right. I just hope that a true democracy emerges and the everyday people…..who after all are the ones that make things go round in every country in the world are…going to be ok.

Oh and naked, haven’t seen much slave labor stuff out of Egypt. China ? maybe. Have you read up on FoxConn?
    your IPhone (if u have one) was made by folks making around $140 US a month.

I wish the Egyptian people good luck and godspeed in their pursuit of democracy.

NAKED
    Participant

It looks like Mubarak has dug his heels in and won’t step down. Can you picture him in his presidential palace watching the protests on TV…

Oh them kids…it’ll all blow over…where’s my hashish?

As I see it the only way the people can remove him before the elections in September is to undermine the Army. If the Army started to crumble due to deserters or disobedience the Generals would probably form a coup.

Meanwhile the US is triangulating it’s influence, not for the good of Egypt but for it’s own agenda. The US has invested billions there and won’t let it slip into the wrong hands. It seems America is subtly taking over the “transition” process
    to groom a candidate friendly to their views.

That’s the real danger for Egypt.

The rest of the world knows how the US treats other countries, especially the Arab world. They see predator drones blow children into red mist and pictures from Abu-Ghraib. They see US backed dictators remain in power and Rendition.

Is it any wonder fundamentalist movements are gaining popularity in the middle east?

They’re the ones who fight back.

PeanutsRevenge
    Participant

@chopper wrote:

Oh and naked, haven’t seen much slave labor stuff out of Egypt. China ? maybe. Have you read up on FoxConn?
    your IPhone (if u have one) was made by folks making around $140 US a month.

I really hate it when people quote figures like that without also quoting the typical wage and cost of living!

Your figure is completely meaningless unless, if the cost of living is $10 USD a month there, then they’re being paid VERY VERY well to work there, however, if it’s $1000 USD then they should find another job or live off the land!

Just because you live in a country where the cost of living has been driven through the roof because people sue eachother for having ‘different coloured eyes whcih they find offensive’, doesn’t mean the rest of the world are anally retentive. :p

Deathbal
    Participant

@loke wrote:

Chop – you cant believe neocon scaremongers and hope its alright if things stay as they where yesterday.
    The western world do/did support inhuman regimes around the world, our support does not call for fair regimes, stable are fine if our expectations/demands are met.

Think

The USA tends to support leaders friendly to the USA whether they are dictators or not. This is not limited to neocons. Our democrats here do the exact same thing.

We supported Saddam because he was at war with Iran. I think we all know why we were against Iran. Also……didn’t Saddam break the oil treaty made back when we had the shortage? I’m pretty sure he was sending the US oil while no other arab nation was. Or am I wrong?

We supported Afghanistan way back because they were fighting Russia. I don’t think it was anymore come complicated than that. I think that was smart. Does anyone think Russia would have stopped at Afghanistan?

Acid22
    Participant

You loved them that much you even sent John Rambo to help them!

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 86 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.