This topic contains 50 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  .–.ShoCkwaVe.–. 6 years, 6 months ago.

• Author

BOY
    Participant

fakepom’s topic is unfortunately mostly true. The SERVERs are dead lately. There is just too much else out there. This isn’t an instant gratification game. It takes patience and dedication. (nostalgia helps as well, for those like me and pom)

VETERANS!! GET UP, CAMP ON THE SERVER!!

BY this I mean, I’d like for all of you that read this to consider taking one hour per week, while online, to enter the server and wait for someone to come in and play with you.

I do this from time to time and occasionally someone does come. Just the other day, I was there for about two hours will I farted around, nobody came. tnick eventally did, but I had left the keyboard and found later I was booted. This is a sad state guys, the online community should be the driving force behind this game.

We could scrap one server and go back to one. I think we should mix in with newbies again. Lets do this.

PeanutsRevenge
    Participant

@boy wrote:

fakepom’s topic is unfortunately mostly true. The SERVERs are dead lately. There is just too much else out there. This isn’t an instant gratification game. It takes patience and dedication. (nostalgia helps as well, for those like me and pom)

VETERANS!! GET UP, CAMP ON THE SERVER!!

BY this I mean, I’d like for all of you that read this to consider taking one hour per week, while online, to enter the server and wait for someone to come in and play with you.

I do this from time to time and occasionally someone does come. Just the other day, I was there for about two hours will I farted around, nobody came. tnick eventally did, but I had left the keyboard and found later I was booted. This is a sad state guys, the online community should be the driving force behind this game.

We could scrap one server and go back to one. I think we should mix in with newbies again. Lets do this.

I disagree fully with dropping the second server.
    I’d been thinking the opposite, have the regs stop playing there (or at least playing properly) and leave it for the newbs to get some confidence.

The rest I mostly agree on.

Thrax
    Participant

That’s strange.. i don’t think i’ve ever entered a server only to sit there idle.
    Maybe they keep entering the wrong one. [-X

Location shouldn’t matter.. Maybe while you’re sitting idle in the 2nd server,
    all your friends are actually throwing a massive Part-eh on the 9th server.
    And you wasted 2 hrs that could have been filled with Blasting! 👿
    Look before you enter… find the people 😀

bazzz
    Participant

If no one waits on main there will only be a game after 2 people show up at exactly the same time, lately it seems to be that this is rare.

Instead people will go to the merge server where there are bots to shoot, then someone will join because main is empty. So main stays empty.

At the moment jaja is killing merge bots an Jewish pimp and * are fighting Pakistan and Palestine.2 games to choose from i am lucky today.

Is there any incentive for a coordinated effort to change this? I want to do something about it, tell me how i can help. Coordinate, please.

pastor of muppets
    Participant

Motivation for me when I started this game was when the “vets” were in “beginners” and they would totally destroy eachother while teaching me. They toyed with me a lot. Then they laid it on me that if I got 50 kills I could go to the “main” server and play with them in there. This gave me a target to shoot for and motivation to keep playing. Once I got into the “main” server I was hooked not only on the game but the people. I know beating a dead horse, but it was definately motivation for me.

There is almost always a game in merge problem with merge is it can also be very intimidating to someone who has not learned the basics like chutes, what shields to use when and basic weapons. There are times I don’t play in merge because of the talent that is in there. I go warm up in “the second server on the list” or with the bots.

pastor of muppets
    Participant

I hate to even post this because of two reasons, one it shows my ignorance in programming IT stuff, two because I may get crucified for it. Is there anyway to bring back the 50 and then…when you get 250 300 kills in main make you get another 25, 50 whatever? Mentoring is what made this game good IMO. People went to where the noobs gathered and they brought them up and taught them and then they were hooked.

If I’m way out of line tell me but…I can say for sure the reason I keep playing is because of the people I met in those days. Some or most of them don’t even play anymore, some or most of them don’t even respond to my e-mails anymore but they are why I am still here. Let’s face it the game is not why people come here, the game is a great distraction, the game is fun, but the people is why I come here.

If it is not possible tell me now, however if it is look at the leader board. If those people were forced to jump into beginners “bot server” and mentor until they got their quota to come back to chase stats we could pull some other players in. Again my opinion. I may be way off base just saying what brought me into the game.

Speak up if you have anymore ideas. Don’t let Imposter PoM run the forums let’s do this on our own.

Laptops Daddy
    Participant

i didnt want to double up. i did mention this in the other thread, but i got trolled a bit by whatshisname, dickface.

anyway, the internet has changed a lot – even in the last 3 years, and it’s still changing. this website needs to change with it. it’s the game’s face and the best way for new people to find it. (especially windows users).

if it helps, i think you (gavin) need to make some changes for SEO purposes.

this site gets a lot of hits, but they’ll almost all be the wrong kind (probably from links to various forum posts).

i dont want to second guess gc here – i have no idea of his level of experience in website coding and this is hardly insider knowledge in this era… i want to help! so, there are a couple of search engine optimisation axioms:

one is priority by popularity. that is, the more links there are pointing to page, the more important that page is seen to be. this applies to pages within a website as well as with external links (that’s why you’ll often see a home link duplicated on every page on a site – this gives the index priority over the other pages).

the second is a need to craft site text content to reflect the search terms youre expecting people to use. the content has to flow naturally, but you still need to include key terms in full. (there may also be priority for headers (markup

and so on, prioritised over the rest of the content)).

i dont think either of the above techniques are employed at all on this site, and i think maybe it would help if they were. you can get a good idea of the most widely used search terms from google trends.

so my suggestion is this: include a second link to home in the footer of every page on the site and somehow include the term free game on the home page. (e.g. scorched3d is a completely free game to download, available cross platform etc). (both jobs would only take minutes)

Rommel
    Participant

Hi BOY :

The downloads recorded at ScorceForge indicate well over 1.6 Million downloads. This is most likely total DLs though and not a true representatation of the number of people that tried this version.

As noted in the previous thread; If a less than satisfactory number of new players are entering the game, this can be easily proven. It has not been proven to be the issue.

Focusing on recruiting new players as if it is a proven fact that they are rare, before the data proves this to be a problem is silly. It does nothing to address the issue of the why so many of the older players have stopped playing.

I suggest that you concentrate on trying to find the issues, if there are any, as a first step. Attacking wildly with limited resources is seldom a worthwhile adventure.

Good Luck,

Rommel

P.S. – A check of the number of new IPA’s this series might be a good place to start searching for issues.

BOY
    Participant

The solution to more players has more than one aspect apparently, since there are 5 different solutions presented. We have a long way to go to make the game more “mainstream” or what have you. THis is not to say that we aren’t noticed, we still have people here aguing dont we? Thrax’s servers are not “dead”. We’ve got plenty of life here.

Improvement in the game could come from:

Coding
    Advertising
    Newbie incentives (yes, coddling them)
    Oldie incentives (successful, regular tournaments?)
    New features
    Site enhancements
    Admin change/Admin relax?
    More servers
    Fewer servers
    A, C, & E, 1 through 5, and extra $$

These are just a few of the main ideas. We all need to be open minded here.

BOY
    Participant

Food for thought. Our stats indicate a drop in activity on the servers over the last couple years..

– 40.1 (Series 2)
    2007-03-28 13:14:09 to 2007-10-15 19:51:15
    Players : 17073, Games: 111437, Rounds : 840644
    ~129000 rounds played per month

– 41
    2007-10-15 23:13:58 to 2008-01-12 16:06:58
    Players : 4424, Games: 35262, Rounds : 231937
    ~77,000 rounds played per month

– 41.2
    2008-01-12 18:30:11 to 2008-09-14 23:52:17
    Players : 8619, Games: 107722, Rounds : 654908
    ~82000 rounds played per month

– 41.2 (Series 2)
    2008-09-14 23:53:28 to 2009-02-16 00:08:39
    Players : 5339, Games: 55485, Rounds : 332874
    ~67000 rounds played per month.

– 42
    2009-02-16 15:20:14 to 2009-12-22 19:49:04
    Players : 8499, Games: 91387, Rounds : 549983
    ~54000 rounds played per month

ArmorWraith
    Participant

I think we should combine ideas.

*Update Website
    *Update Chat Feature
    *Make a freinds list for the actual servers That appears as a box on the main screen of the game
    *Get more youtube videos out there of high quality
    *Add custimization of music(make it possible to read from the users selected music folder)
    *Make pink tanks for the girls
    *(joke) Partial online dating site for the nerds..

*Imprved/customizible interface via skins? (i know this is possible if you mod the game, but why not give people more options without having to mod or learn, lets face it some people are lazy.

* Black flames for projectiles.. (i would love this one though i dont see how it helps here 🙂 )

Just my 2cents or $1.50

Have fun

KangaBunny

tumbleweed
    Participant

*(joke) Partial online dating site for the nerds..

Need a date Huh?

😆

ArmorWraith
    Participant

nah have a girlfriend of five years. lol

ArmorWraith
    Participant

You know i just thought of something.

Viral advertising, out of all the players and devs here theres got to be someone who can do some sweet art. The art would turn up in google searches and maybe draw some support from this website.

http://www.deviantart.com

It gets tons of hits everyday, we just need a group and a purpose lol.

Get the following accounts.
    http://www.facebook.com
    http://www.myspace.com
    http://www.bebo.com

Theese are all high on hitlists for the teens these days.

Laptops Daddy
    Participant

that’s an excellent idea.

something that i think would really help: revamp the website. i like a bit of retro styling as much as the next man, but this site is beyond the extreme and doesnt really fit with contemporary internets.

there are a load of people around here who can do that stuff – ive spoken to many, and i dabble a bit myself. id love to give something back if a new site design would help.

heres an example banner i threw together:

[attachment=0:26oo3y04]s3dbanner.png[/attachment:26oo3y04]

here: you could even have it animated like this. we could dress up the site with styled light-up buttons, flash banners, the works.

another thought i had, it could be nice to have a permanent official server in place for user contributed maps and a page on the website for all the latest map submissions. people love a bit of competition. you could maybe set up star ratings for maps and the best could be made part of the main download package.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 52 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.