This topic contains 5 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  imported_gcamp 10 years, 11 months ago.

• Author

Lithium
    Participant

As of version 40.1b, I noticed that DPMS (Display Power Management) is turned off by Scorched3d. I have to turn it back on manually after exiting the game with ‘xset’. None of my other OpenGL games does this.

I’m not sure what is a factor in this. My installs of Scorched3d have always been with DEB packages converted from RPMs. This is because of crash-on-exit issues I’ve had with the native Ubuntu DEB packages of SC3D (May have something to do with using libGTK 2.0). I could install from source but, that is a last resort for me…also I don’t know if it will solve the DPMS problem.

Lithium
    Participant

No Answer?

Irishbandit
    Participant

There have been some reports of this happening on Ubuntu with nvidia drivers but not just with scorched3d. Do you have a nvidia card??

Lithium
    Participant

@irishbandit wrote:

There have been some reports of this happening on Ubuntu with nvidia drivers but not just with scorched3d. Do you have a nvidia card??

Yes, I have a Nvidia card and I’m using Kubuntu 6.10. Are you referring to the issue where the DPMS OFFTIME is multiplied by 60? Example: If I tell KDE to turn my monitor off after 1 minute of inactivity, it waits 1 hour.

I don’t think my SC3D problem is relevant to the Kubuntu KDE issue. I use other games with opengl and none have this problem…In fact, DPMS becomes disabled in SC3D before I actually Join/Start a game.

imported_gcamp
    Participant

This is strange as there have been no library changes between this version and the last, and no code has been added in this area.

The only change I know of is that the network code is called a bit earlier than before.

Lithium
    Participant

I can sort of get around the problem by executing the game with a very simple script that re-enables DPMS after I exit the game. I’m content with that.

I can’t pinpoint exactly how the problem started because I recently made a fresh install of Kubuntu 6.10 (after using Kubuntu 6.06 for months) just before upgrading from SC3D 4.0 to 4.1C…and then, I noticed the problem.

imported_gcamp
    Participant

Thanks, I’ll keep it on my mind, if anything springs up I’ll let you know.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.