This topic contains 51 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Bobirov 11 years, 3 months ago.

• Author

cbx550f
    Participant

@bobirov wrote:

I swear to god one of these days I am going to make an in-depth analysis of the landscape files for the wiki.

(Quote taken from another thread)

I keep thinking the same. That you should do that, that is. 😉

Seriously, I keep thinking that, while I’m making a new map, I should make notes and document the process.

Bob, we should start working on this together. A couple thoughts:

• Explain how texture0, texture1, etc work
    • Describe heightmaps (ie: Black pixel is 0 height, white is 255 (REALLY HIGH!), grey levels from 5-60 are normal map heights)
    • Placements. Different types, describe each (ie: “target” type can be given health, shield, parachute, “model” type cannot, but can still be killed). Also, should not how to add removeactions.
    • Random landscapes. We (well, me, I mean) could use some docs on this! 😉 I’ve managed to fumble my way through them, but I never really understood some of the tags
    • It would be good to document a “somewhat complex” accessory; one that is multi-part. Something like my fireworks or similar.
    • Debugging. Need I say more? 😉
      It is often hard to figure out what went wrong, and I’m sure this is what turns off most potential modders, and if we could give some good tips on “Oh no, I changed this, and now I’m getting that error!!”
      These are usually simple little things, and I’m learning where to look, but can you imagine the time savings we would have had if someone said “If you see this error, check this or this. Note: Messing up the type=”WeaponTypedThisWrong” seems to have caused me some grief, more than once. Not sure if the error message is misleading or something, but that one has burned me a few times before I notice that I copy-pasted a tag like “WeaponGiveLife”, but forgot the “Weapon” part. 😉
    • Geez, you’d think if I spent this much time at this post, I could have written the darned docs!
    • I think it would be good to do a step-by-step tutorial on making a mod, something simple, one custom map, one custom weapon, one placement, etc

As I wrote this, I was thinking we could use this as a starting point. Calling all modders!: If you can describe “how to do this, post it here! We’ll come up with the Hitchhiker’s Guide to Modding Scorched3d. 😉

I was also thinking that we should be sure to say “I’m working on this, so that two of us aren’t wasting time on the same thing.

On that note – I’ve been playing around with heightmaps alot lately, so maybe I’ll grab that. (Documenting it would be good for me too!)

Last thing: Bob, I can’t begin to explain how valuable the Syntax for Accessories has been. (That, and stealing stuff and ideas from your mod). Thank you. 🙂

cbx

imported_gcamp
    Participant

Randomly generated maps are created by placing a large number of differently shaped blobs (hills) on a flat land and then smoothing the result.

// Defines the area that hills cannot be created

// The number of hills to create.
    // The more hills the less space there will be between
    // the mountains. e.g. it will eventualy turn into
    // a plato

// The height of the landscape.
    // The landscape will be scaled so the height
    // is always between these values

// The width (from west to east) of each added hill

// The width (from north to south) of each added hill

// The height of each added hill.
    // Hills are added on top of each other so the overall landscape height
    // will get built up from this.

// The amount of smoothing added to the landscape
    // after all of the hills have been added
    // Larger numbers = smother land

// Make sure the landscape surround (edges) are
    // level with the water/surround map.
    true

Bobirov
    Participant

Nice outline there, that will be quite helpful. One little thing caught my attention in the list though:

@cbx550f wrote:

Random landscapes. We (well, me, I mean) could use some docs on this! Wink I’ve managed to fumble my way through them, but I never really understood some of the tags

Actually bud, your description of your work with them is almost a mirror image of my experience with random landscapes as well. I pretty much did as you described, messed with the tags and kept testing till I got things to look about like I wanted. And, as it is, that was something like 2 years ago. I really don’t have any more accurate information on the specifics of those tags than you do. I could use a bit of help in that department myself. 😉

For the record, what I personally want to do is basically the same thing I have done with the accessories.xml file. I want to run through each of the landscape files and show all the available tags and provide some descriptions of what they do, as well as general informatio about the files themselves. That is not to say that I don’t think we need information on the actual modding process itself, just that is not what I personally am wanting to write at the moment.

@cbx550f wrote:

As I wrote this, I was thinking we could use this as a starting point. Calling all modders!: If you can describe “how to do this, post it here! We’ll come up with the Hitchhiker’s Guide to Modding Scorched3d. 😉

Good idea, any little bits of info added to this post would be really helpful. I want to do this, it just seems like such a daunting task I keep shying away from it and working on other things (like my mod for instance :P). Modders, feel free to just post any tidbits of info you think is appropriate in this post. We can handle formatting it and getting it into the wiki, no problem.

@cbx550f wrote:

I was also thinking that we should be sure to say “I’m working on this, so that two of us aren’t wasting time on the same thing.

Okay, here’s what I am going to start working on tonight. I am going to start doing just what I said, running through the landscape files themselves and simply listing and documenting the tags themselves, much as I have done with my analysis of the accessories.xml file. Tonight I am going to start with the landscapes.xml file itself. I don’t know if I’ll get any further than that. I had already made up my mind to start on this earlier in the day while I was at work.

@cbx550f wrote:

On that note – I’ve been playing around with heightmaps alot lately, so maybe I’ll grab that. (Documenting it would be good for me too!)

Alright, that sounds good. If you want to, just post it here. Or, if ya want, make a new wiki page about heightmaps and I can eventually link to it within my landscape file outline thingy.

@cbx550f wrote:

Last thing: Bob, I can’t begin to explain how valuable the Syntax for Accessories has been. (That, and stealing stuff and ideas from your mod). Thank you. 🙂

Oh you will explain, Mister. I want an explanation in essay form of 1000 words or less on my desk by tomorrow morning or you’re going to fail Modding 101. Its that simple.

Seriously though, you wouldn’t believe how helpful its been to me as well. I refer to it quite often when I get into some of the primitives that I haven’t used as much. Its funny how, despite the fact that I wrote all that, I still manage to forget bits and pieces of it. Damn my rebellious youth!

Now, before I waste any more time scrutinizing this post, you’ll have to excuse me I’ve a bit of writing to do.. 😉

BOY
    Participant

ROOOOOFFFFLLLL

Being that its 11:30 and I’m drunk my add to the humor of this thread

@cbx wrote:

@bob wrote:

I swear to god one of these days I am going to make an in-depth analysis of the landscape files for the wiki.
    (Quote taken from another thread)

I keep thinking the same. That you should do that, that is.

Seriously, thats worth a million!!!

Bobirov
    Participant

Alright, here is what I’ve got so far. Its not very complete yet by any means but its a start. Like I said, it will be a review of the landscape files and what they contain, nothing more and nothing less. I am thinking that a walkthrough of how to make a landscape or anything like that will be put in a seperate page devoted to just that.

I haven’t linked the page from the Mods and Modelling page just yet. But its probably to a point where its at least somewhat useful already. What do you guys think?

EDIT:
    Holy carp! a divine inspiration from the gods has struck and cast its holy light upon me to deliver me from my ignorance of random landscape generation! How did I miss that earlier? Looks like comments straight from the code. I probably could have found that had I taken the time to look for it. 😳

imported_gcamp
    Participant

@bobirov wrote:

I probably could have found that had I taken the time to look for it. 😳

Its ok it wasnt in the code, I just made it up. (XML comments are ).

Great work BTW, let me know if there are any other areas that are mad and need explaining.

cbx550f
    Participant

I added a quick tutorial on making a heightmap based map here

Could use some formatting and linking, but I need some more eating and drinking. 😉

I was thinking I should pretty it up some, but I think the time would be better spent getting more docs up than on making them pretty. 😉

cbx

Bobirov
    Participant

@cbx550f wrote:

I added a quick tutorial on making a heightmap based map

Very nice work there. That’s been needed for a loooong time. 🙂

cbx550f
    Participant

BTW: Working on the landscape defn file description, including adding Gavin’s description of the “generate” tags. 🙂

cbx550f
    Participant

I’m not sure about this one – does that mean that the average height is between these values?

cbx550f
    Participant

Well, got the http://www.scorched3d.co.uk/wiki/index.php/Definition_Files bit done. Could likely use a proofread… I’m pretty tired. 😉

Any reason we shouldn’t put the “Syntax for Landscapes” page on? Still some things left to go, but it might be better to get what we have up.

Bobirov
    Participant

@cbx550f wrote:

Any reason we shouldn’t put the “Syntax for Landscapes” page on? Still some things left to go, but it might be better to get what we have up.

I was thinking the same thing but wanted a second opinion. I am gonna tackle some of the easier stuff tonight like the events and ambient sound docs I think. I’ll link the page while doing that. 😉

jdog
    Participant

Finally remembered what is wrong. It should be put in there (the map page or the defn page) that you can have a bitmap size of any value that is a factor of 16 but when you use it in a defn file the # must be a factor of 32 or you get an error about the size of water must be a factor of 32.

Bobirov
    Participant

Only got as far as documenting the ambient sound files tonight. Landscape docs page is starting to get some meat to it. 🙂

@cbx550f wrote:

Well, got the definition files bit done. Could likely use a proofread… I’m pretty tired. Wink

Very nice work. I made a few small changes but nothing much really. I may scrutinize it a bit more after some more docs are done. 🙂

@jdog wrote:

Finally remembered what is wrong. It should be put in there (the map page or the defn page) that you can have a bitmap size of any value that is a factor of 16 but when you use it in a defn file the # must be a factor of 32 or you get an error about the size of water must be a factor of 32.

My USA map uses a bitmap that is 200 pixels high (not divisible by 16 or 32) and it works just fine. However, you are right about the the landscapeheight/width needing to be divisible by 32. Now that you mentioned it I remember having that happen with the USA map. I just checked to see if that was still the case and it is. The bitmap works just fine but not if you set the height/width in the defn file to something thats not divisible by 32. I’ve added that info to the defn file page.

imported_gcamp
    Participant

@cbx550f wrote:

I’m not sure about this one – does that mean that the average height is between these values?

The maximum height in the landscape will be between these two values.
    All the other values will be scaled accordingly.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 53 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.