This topic contains 36 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  naka 8 years, 11 months ago.

• Author

imported_gcamp
    Participant

@outer wrote:

This only seems to be working for the first ten and only on the main stats page. If see rankings or extended ranking this does not show up.

Yeah, it was just a try out to see what people thought.

imported_gcamp
    Participant

@boy wrote:

having read the link above concerning ELO rating system, I believe that it supports my claim that a ladder system is innapropriate for scorched3d. The basic explanation is that there is a very slim statistical correlation between player deaths and skill. I can name various examples of how and why, but the most important aspect is that a ladder system is not effective for an FFA situation. The concept behind a ladder system is one VS one competition or team VS team.

I’ll have a read of ELO.

BOY
    Participant

@gcamp wrote:

@outer wrote:

This only seems to be working for the first ten and only on the main stats page. If see rankings or extended ranking this does not show up.

My other objections to the system not withstanding, I like the change. It removes the advantage players get from playing frequently. By bringing the skills down a bit, it makes them a bit close in cases to the 1000 range. I’d have to say the system’s award of 1000 default points is a bit generous.

Thrax
    Participant

@boy wrote:

@gcamp wrote:

@outer wrote:

This only seems to be working for the first ten and only on the main stats page.
    If see rankings or extended ranking this does not show up.

My other objections to the system not withstanding, I like the change. It
    removes the advantage players get from playing frequently. By bringing the
    skills down a bit, it makes them a bit close in cases to the 1000 range. I’d
    have to say the system’s award of 1000 default points is a bit generous.

1000 is a suitable base-line. First-timers appear in the lower 40% of rank
    and grow or drop depending on thier first game’s activities. The changes
    right away are drastic up or down, but soon level off after 5-10 kills.
    Since players do need the capacity to drop in skill, having it start at zero
    would only allow up.. most 50+ kill players have no trouble keeping it in
    the 1500-2000 range and then increase more as they proceed.

BOY
    Participant

I’m saying that the 1000 default points is not proportionally that much different than players who have a high level of skill.

imported_gcamp
    Participant

Guess its just a way of letting really really bad people have a low score.

BOY
    Participant

you mean high score, don’t you?

guys, looking back at the standings I discovered that there are a vast number of players in the rankings that have zero kills, the default of 1000 places them in the rankings within the top 50%

This player: Kraftwerk,
    http://www.scorched3d.co.uk/stats/playerstats.php?Prefix=1&Series=11&PlayerID=692
    he is a guy who has been around a long time has a kill death ratio of 1.0 and a round win ratio of 33%. yet he has less than the default points of 1000, and a rank of 349, dead center in the rankings out of 700 players.

then this player, SwanDude. Highly decorated. While his stats are not good, he should still not be ranked in the bottom 50% at just below the default points.
    http://www.scorched3d.co.uk/stats/playerstats.php?Prefix=1&Series=11&PlayerID=26223

1000 is a suitable base-line. First-timers appear in the lower 40% of rank

not really, it is actually the lower 75% but this means nothing because the 1000 default bracket zero deaths and zero kills takes up the ranks between 350 all the way up to 167. In my view this is completely imbalanced. Then, even should you die somewhat more often that you get kills, you should accumulate some points, yet we find that many players lose points, in fact most players lose a few points unless they stick with it, and they are ranked lower than players who have no stats at all.

It would fix everything if this ladder system was called what it is, and the word skill was removed from it. The kills ladder.

naka
    Participant

I have briefly read ELO ranking system. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elo_rating_system
    There are many good aspects in the ELO.

But original form of ELO is suitable for 1 vs 1 play. In Scorched we have ‘1 vs many’ or ‘everyone vs everyone’ games.

1. I think there is may be a way to adapt/modify ElO to scorched.
    OR
    2. there is already modified version of ELO suitable for ‘1 vs many’ games.
    http://www.cafefroid.com/ratings/faq.php

Something like that. not based on ‘who killed who’, but assign points based on the final position in the game (well we have score points) and then apply ELO.

Sorry i haven’t time to think deeply about it. just throw ideas.

Viewing 8 posts - 31 through 38 (of 38 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.