This topic contains 13 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Saddistic Fungus 12 years, 4 months ago.

• Author

Willis
    Participant

While gaming (still is) we had someone use the trick of having dirt pile up on itself over and over, creating a giant dirt pillar.

By this let me clearify, the user covers themselves in dirt, then repeatidly fires dirt over and over allowing it to pile up on itself again and again. Creating a giant tower.

Well I asked around and was informed that in classic 2D a user could not do this. So that being known, why have it here?

Maybe have dirt weapons apply to the ‘dud’ rule? Or adjust it where if dirt is covering the user, the most it can do is apear in uncovered area. (so if someone fires a ton of dirt .. enemy hits it with a riot bomb.. second ton-of-dirt covers riot hole // if someone fires dirt clog, then a ton of dirt, mound only the size of ton-of-dirt apears)

Yeh anyone smart enough just needs to aim low becuase the target is at the bottem.. but its silly and maybe teach people its a waste? Or maybe theres a tatic to it that I’m not seeing.

Hippopotamus
    Participant

idea :
    when under the dirt >no air > -20 health per move

Ebonite
    Participant

Dirt exibits the same behavior as rollers. The center of the “explosion” or instance is automatically adjusted to the top of the current dirt level in that pixel. Just as rollers used to ooze from the top of a pile of dirt or appear on the ground directly below the cavern ceiling (these behaviors were addressed already, right?), the warhead deployment for dirt operates in the same fashion, i.e. going up to the available clear space when buried, or suddenly appearing on the ground when striking the cavern roof. The simple fix is to give dirt weapons the same fix given to rollers. Might also want to look at naplam behavior, as well. I am thinking it operates the same way.

guy parker
    Participant

sometimes you can kill people under dirt with napalm. it might be a bug, but it’s a good one, LOL. sandhogs also work good. i don’t have a problem with people who want to dirt themselves in, they might get away with it for one round, but you can bet that the next round i’m going to buy some hogs or napalm in case i have to finish them off underground. i don’t see the dirt build up as a problem at all.

Ebonite
    Participant

In a game now with a player named “roker” ranked 55 who is using the “dirt pile” tactic with the addition of a force shield. He states it’s just as legitamte a tactic as “trucers and shield weenies”. His solution to the problem was “make dirt more expensive”. I’m liking hippo’s suggestion of hitpoints lost while under dirt.

cbx550f
    Participant

DH beats dirt every time. 😉

Ebonite
    Participant

True, but another point roker made was “What you guys are throwing at me is far more expensive than dirt.” The guy is tied for the lead with one kill. I may have to switch my operational standards and forgo the money quest…

jdog
    Participant

we have to adapt with each new player. Not eveyone is going to go charing in guns blazing hoping to take as many players out with them as they can.

Remember he who runs live to scorch another day! 😀

Also we can’t keep raising the price of everything just because someone is making other people crazy using one weapon. Adapt or get out of the way! 😯

Panther30
    Participant

ebo’s quote in my sig….

Willis
    Participant

Well to reflect on the comments made, I still remember long long ago when I was new to these forums I had a topic called “Dirt, Hurt?” (internet explorer still cache’d the “subject” line i typed 😆 ).

Touching on what Hippo was suggesting, and I think the overall feel was a split decision so nothing was done. But I’m well willing to bring up that again if desired. 🙄

Regarding rollers:
    I like it how rollers slingshot out into the air when a person dies in dirt fashion. IMO Certainly nothing to fix, its entertaining and the only other logical action would be rollers detonating upon dirt mound apearing. How I see it is that the dirt is rapidly “growing” underneath the rollers so their rapid accent develops the slingshot effect throwing them sky-high.

Regarding napalms:
    Napalms have a burning radius, similar to projectiles having blast radius. The intense heat is close enough to cause structural damage ergo health deminishes.

When I made this topic I had no notion of the “stop people from getting wins by dirt” debates. How I look at this is that the dirt mound besides not being a 2D condition, IMO the fact it occures sounds “illogical” by scorched standards. How projectiles will “magicly” spawn to the top of dirt, it reminds me of the old fuel trick of dodging dirt piles.

But besides carrying on my desired rout, if you peoples think we should swing it to the “should damage be delt” debate then by all means continue.

sleestak
    Participant

I’d chalk this up to different people playing differently. It seems like if anyone is super effective at any particular weapon it draws attention and then complaints. What harm is done by some guy who wants to sit under a pile of dirt? Methinks people take their rankings too seriously.

guy parker
    Participant

one time i had killed someone across the map with rollers. well, they died the dirt death, and it shot one of the rollers back across the screen at me, hit me DIRECTLY and it counted as me killing myself with rollers. i was in disbelief, but i know other people in the game saw it too. but it was months ago, i wish i had a video of that. i think the chances of it happening are pretty slim.

BTW, i don’t think dirt should do damage, the last thing i want to see is people using this already annoying weapon as a real means to kill. it’s bad enough being buried if you don’t want to and having to dig yourself out, but to take damage also would just make it way too abusive.

Panther30
    Participant

@guy parker wrote:

one time i had killed someone across the map with rollers. well, they died the dirt death, and it shot one of the rollers back across the screen at me, hit me DIRECTLY and it counted as me killing myself with rollers. i was in disbelief, but i know other people in the game saw it too. but it was months ago, i wish i had a video of that. i think the chances of it happening are pretty slim.

BTW, i don’t think dirt should do damage, the last thing i want to see is people using this already annoying weapon as a real means to kill. it’s bad enough being buried if you don’t want to and having to dig yourself out, but to take damage also would just make it way too abusive.

yeah people sometimes find the volcano in the shockmod and raptormod to be quite the annoyance (dirt that instantly kills through the heavies shield if used properly). personally I don’t mind if dirt by itself were to cause damage, though it would make the volcanoes pointless….

imported_gcamp
    Participant

The dirt is slightly different from the rollers.

What is actualy happening is that the dirt is created at the bottom and pushes all the old dirt up. Its not new dirt appearing at the top.

I guess you could just get it to dud if fired underground.

Saddistic Fungus
    Participant

Shit hell no

Dirt Rulz and if ppl wanna dirt themselves let them do it, if they wanna dirt other let them do it. I think its fun and changes strategies a bit, Im sick of everyone whining about everything. “OH DIRT SUX BLABLABLa”
    “OH FUNKY BOMBS SUX BABLALA” etc.

Just play the damn game and let camp do wut he wants with it

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.