This topic contains 62 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  PeanutsRevenge 9 years, 10 months ago.

• Author

BOY
    Participant

@laptops Daddy wrote:

rommel (since we’re hijacking : ),

i connected to your server earlier (just to check it out – main was full).

i only saw one level. very impressive.

regarding mod download size…

i notice you’re duplicating a lot of the apoc material. you are aware that apoc ships with the game? (i.e. apoc is already on evryone’s computer).

why not link to the globalmods/apoc dir with a relative path? (it’s what i did in the first mod i made)

e.g.:

../../globalmods/apoc/data/textures/wicons/larmor.bmp
    ../globalmods/apoc/data/wav/explosions/empsmall.wav

and that is what I did for sniper mod, enabling it to be less than 1 MEG zipped.

naka
    Participant

@laptops Daddy wrote:

i’m more than a nay, i’m a strong nay.

For a strong nay, can we give 2 vote points? 😆 😆

Rommel
    Participant

Hi Laptops Daddy and thanks for stopping by the other day. I hope you’ll do me the honor of a return visit when I’ve completed all of the work still remaining. Considering your demonstrated expertise (Loved the bike map) I’m very pleased that you liked whichever map it was that you saw.

@laptops Daddy wrote:

rommel (since we’re hijacking : ),

i connected to your server earlier (just to check it out – main was full).

i only saw one level. very impressive.

regarding mod download size…

i notice you’re duplicating a lot of the apoc material. you are aware that apoc ships with the game? (i.e. apoc is already on evryone’s computer).

why not link to the globalmods/apoc dir with a relative path? (it’s what i did in the first mod i made)

e.g.:

../../globalmods/apoc/data/textures/wicons/larmor.bmp
    ../globalmods/apoc/data/wav/explosions/empsmall.wav

Like you, I’m very concerned about the DL time although it’s pretty obvious that I’m not too worried about HD space. It is a wasteful practice none the less and one that I’d like to eliminate. So far my only option seems to be doing a massive amount of redirection by hand.

I’m a little under the weather right now and have found the conversion process to be very demanding and, to be honest, I simply put the file issue aside in order to get back up and running. Rob provided some very good examples that I expect to implement by hand soon unless a script is available to do the redirection tasks. In either event I hope that Rob’s examples will be moved to the Wiki soon so that future mod makers get started on the correct path.

I must go destroy the world now. Krieg ohne Hass

Sincerely,

Generalfeldmarschall Erwin J. E. Rommel

Brain Damage
    Participant

if nobody gives a good reason not to, i’d got for a 1-week test starting from monday 5/11/07 to sunday 11/11/07 in main server, then re-create the poll and see what users think

HWB
    Participant

@deathbal wrote:

The suggestion is meant to speed up the game. If it were enabled, you can turn your shield on at any time. No need to wait until last second. Turn your shield on, choose your weapon, and take your shot. Shot’s could be done in 10 seconds.

I like the reason but I still like how it is.

parasti
    Participant

Delayed defence has now been activated on Main. Deathbal took the responsibility to do that. Would be great if someone who knows how would change the MOTD of the server to inform people about this.

Deathbal
    Participant

Yes, as per popular demand, and no one seemingly against, I did it. It’s pretty cool not know what shield someone has up until the shot. But as far as speeding up the game…….it does a bit with a couple of players left. But it will take some getting use to for it to sink in.

If it is too much, well, it can easily be changed back at anytime.

BigBear
    Participant

So now it’s been in use for about a week. How about about redoing the poll to see if we should keep it or not?

PeanutsRevenge
    Participant

Well, some people have only just realised its been activated

http://www.scorched3d.co.uk/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=4841

BigBear
    Participant

Which is why you run the poll for a couple of weeks concurrently with the delayed defense activation setting. I thought that was implicit. 😛

HWB
    Participant

I like the shield being delayed. I don’t like the batteries being delayed at all.
    But I pretty much don’t care. I think in time we would see quicker games unless lappy is playing and like always running at the mouth.

Laptops Daddy
    Participant

for shame

HWB
    Participant

@laptops Daddy wrote:

for shame

I agree, but we like you lappy and you are always welcome. 😉

PeanutsRevenge
    Participant

It might help let ppl know for sure is to change the rules…
    I remember checking a short while back cos of the talk and saw it as off and just too screen grab

Rommel
    Participant

The rules being off seems to only affect a few of us.

@peanutsrevenge wrote:

It might help let ppl know for sure is to change the rules…
    I remember checking a short while back cos of the talk and saw it as off and just too screen grab

I asked one of the admins to check the rules during a game a couple of days ago and they reported that they looked fine. We have the same issue with posting notices in the MoTD. If someone is in a hurry to get in and then go back to the MoTD, it’s blank except for the copyright notice. Parasti reported this on the 7th as well.

This is the original post.

I must get back to work on the server soon. Krieg ohne Hass

Sincerely,

Generalfeldmarschall Erwin J. E. Rommel

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 64 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.