This topic contains 62 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  PeanutsRevenge 9 years, 10 months ago.

  • Author
    Posts
  • #45661

    parasti
    Participant

    @The AI wrote:

    To note, I hit the shield button and my fire button at the same time, in the last two seconds. So would delayed defence change the way I play? In no way at all, I will still fir in the last two seconds, because I am busing talking, and then aiming, so there won;t be any change in the way I play.

    Given that the main rationale for this change is to “speed up the game”, what you’ve said above just goes to show that this is quite likely not going to happen. Likewise, the way I play by the time I’ve lined up my shot in most cases there are 5 or so seconds left on the timer. Thus I see this as a change for a change’s sake. Some things will get lost, none will be gained.

    Course, that might change once I get a chance to actually test it.

    #45662

    BigBear
    Participant

    @The AI wrote:

    For the anti-mod stick that is being thrown around, absolute pain. On all sides spite and friction can be seen. Lots of people seem to think that when someone talks about mods, they are referring to apoc, or an “insecure” host, or they have taken some side in some conflict and think it is their solemn duty not to play mods, claiming that they “play scorched to play scorched, not a mod.” Mods are what make most games, if a game is modable, mod it.

    I find it hard to believe that anyone here is anti-mod. If you were referring to my post, that was merely an expression of annoyance at the repeated whining about too many ppl sticking with the stock servers and the (imo) faulty assumptions why this is the case.

    @para wrote:

    Thus I see this as a change for a change’s sake. Some things will get lost, none will be gained.

    See I am of exactly the opposite opinion, ie nothing is lost but there would be something to gain. Unless it is tested, this will be another endless and ultimately futile debate resulting in nothing because sooner or later ppl will get bored with the debate (which has happened numerous times in the past with various issues that had 50/50 poll results ;)).

    #45663

    imported_gcamp
    Participant

    It’s possible that a rouge server could intentionally have you download something harmful in the hopes that you might give it a try. NEVER haphazardly run executables that you don’t understand.

    Only files with regognised file types are downloaded from the server, things like txt png etc… No files with executable file names will be downloaded. ofc that doesnt help unix people, but they wouldnt be flaged as executable.

    and if anyone does think there is a security issue anywhere please tell me.

    #45664

    Rommel
    Participant

    I have to agree that activating Delayed Defenses doesn’t force the user to shoot any faster. However, a short clock does and that is easy for any server to set as they see fit. Mine is 30 seconds. Players often get caught up in choosing a target (target overload) and the proper weapon and miss a crucial shot though. A feature I’ve tossed out once before was to disable the chat feature until all shots are locked in. Hmmm, I think this would have a negative impact on the truce makers. Good idea yes? 😛 @parasti wrote:

    @The AI wrote:

    To note, I hit the shield button and my fire button at the same time, in the last two seconds. So would delayed defence change the way I play? In no way at all, I will still fir in the last two seconds, because I am busing talking, and then aiming, so there won;t be any change in the way I play.

    Given that the main rationale for this change is to “speed up the game”, what you’ve said above just goes to show that this is quite likely not going to happen. Likewise, the way I play by the time I’ve lined up my shot in most cases there are 5 or so seconds left on the timer. Thus I see this as a change for a change’s sake. Some things will get lost, none will be gained.

    Course, that might change once I get a chance to actually test it.

    I’ve almost got it up. 😉 Krieg ohne Hass

    Sincerely,

    Generalfeldmarschall Erwin J. E. Rommel

    #45665

    Rommel
    Participant

    Dear Gavin:

    Thanks for the correction. I only recently learned that my trash files were getting downloaded along with the ones I intended which is why I mentioned the possibility of getting something unexpected. I keep my saved and in process files out of the mod directory tree now and hope that this issue will be included in the Wiki updates on server operation so that it’s not regularly repeated.
    @gcamp wrote:

    It’s possible that a rouge server could intentionally have you download something harmful in the hopes that you might give it a try. NEVER haphazardly run executables that you don’t understand.

    Only files with regognised file types are downloaded from the server, things like txt png etc… No files with executable file names will be downloaded. ofc that doesnt help unix people, but they wouldnt be flaged as executable.

    and if anyone does think there is a security issue anywhere please tell me.

    This one step will save you having to DL 20+ Meg of stuff you already have.@rommel wrote:

    One of the players, The AI I think, made a very good suggestion I’d like to share with you. If you’ll make another folder called apoc-x (it has to be all lower case letters) in your globalmods folder and copy all of the apoc files into this folder, it will cut your first time log on time quite a bit….

    For Windows users, the location of the globalmods folder along with the new folder placement follows:

      Program Files

      Scorched3D

      data

      globalmods

      apoc
      apoc-x
      globalmods.txt

    I hope this helps and that if you have any questions about how to do this, you’ll let me know before you mess something up.

    I look forward to seeing you soon. Krieg ohne Hass

    Sincerely,

    Generalfeldmarschall Erwin J. E. Rommel

    #45666

    Deathbal
    Participant

    Depending on this poll result, I don’t see why we can’t test this on Main for 2-3 weeks. It’s not like the game will be ruined. I know that many times I have to sit and wait until 0 seconds to put up a shield only because I know my opponent won’t expect it. Like when I have a mag up, and I get dug into water. No one knows I have a heavy shield. Now I have to wait to put it up.

    This not only would eliminate that wait, but it would add a diff aspect to the game that hasn’t been there before. You will have to choose the weapon you use based on what shield (if any) your target may have up. Since you won’t see it until the shot is fired.

    Why not test it and revisit this a few weeks later? If it’s not to people’s liking, revert back.

    #45667

    Rommel
    Participant

    Ok, I know it’s been awhile but Apoc Champions is back up. Currently you will find: standard Apoc bots, 5 custom maps and only slight tweaking to the starting weapons.
    @rommel wrote:

    I look forward to seeing you soon. Krieg ohne Hass

    Sincerely,

    Generalfeldmarschall Erwin J. E. Rommel

    Oh yeah, LOL and Delayed Defenses. 8)

    #45668

    Irishbandit
    Participant

    @The AI wrote:

    To note, I hit the shield button and my fire button at the same time, in the last two seconds. So would delayed defence change the way I play? In no way at all, I will still fir in the last two seconds, because I am busing talking, and then aiming, so there won;t be any change in the way I play.

    Nice post!!! I liked the rest of your post but did not think I needed to repeat it.

    #45669

    pastor of muppets
    Participant

    I voted YES!!!! I love the idea myself as it is now in the later rounds you can guarantee the shot clock will wind down to the last few seconds because everyone is waiting on putting up their shields. This option could speed the game up a lot. Faster game means I get to play more, I personally like the playing part of the game vs. the waiting part.

    #45670

    Viking62
    Participant

    I see a lot of great points made on this topic of Skirt/Bubble use vs. time.
    I voted yes also–Anything to speed my dial-up gaming up! Also, I tend to agree with Bear…. & Pastor….gimmee speed 😉

    #45671

    KTM Rider
    Participant

    Yep, I agree that we should just test it out on mains and see what people think. That’ll get us the best decision.

    I know my largest issue before I tried mods was simply learning them. OpS, SWars, Merge, they all have a huge learning curve. Stock is so much easier to understand. So trying a mod ends in failure for some people I suspect because it is too much to learn.

    On a side note, I really like your idea of blocking chat during a shot, Rommel. Too many times do I chit-chat, not realizing the timer is running….. Or other people do…..

    #45672

    Rommel
    Participant

    Hi KTM:

    Thanks, the “fire first – chat later” idea was one that I presented right after coming on-line but failed to persue it due to lack of interest. There were a few more that I can’t seem to recall now, but as I remember them, I’ll try to get them in the forum. Too much lead in my toys perhaps? 😉 Since I wasn’t registered here, the majority of them were just tossed out while playing a game at ApocHQ FFA.

    Speaking of Apoc HQ FFA, I’ll be getting to work on the Apoc Champion bots soon and, as before, the names given will the the top 35 players at ApocHQ FFA. I’m hoping that eventually I’ll be able to duplicate the style and weapons that the top players use. This would require the ability to read Rob’s stats and maintain my bots from them. Say once a day or once a week. Something to that effect. Not currently an option but I think it would be very cool. 8) Playing against yourself (sort of) might prove to be very challanging. 😈

    @KTM Rider wrote:

    Yep, I agree that we should just test it out on mains and see what people think. That’ll get us the best decision.

    I know my largest issue before I tried mods was simply learning them. OpS, SWars, Merge, they all have a huge learning curve. Stock is so much easier to understand. So trying a mod ends in failure for some people I suspect because it is too much to learn.

    On a side note, I really like your idea of blocking chat during a shot, Rommel. Too many times do I chit-chat, not realizing the timer is running….. Or other people do…..

    As for the learning curve on the mods, Apoc Champions is pretty much still the same as playing a standard Apoc game at ApocHQ FFA. Different maps, much more stuff to shoot and 12 standard Apoc bots for now. I’ll be making changes a little slowly right now but hope to get back all of the old features of Apoc Champions while I’m trying to implement all of the new features.

    Do yourself a favor if you want to check it out with the Delayed Defenses activated and do the folder copy I suggested before. I’ve seen several people logging in that failed to do this and it takes them forever to get in the game. It’s over 20 Meg of duplicate stuff that you DL if you don’t do this simple step first.

    I’d love to get your feedback.

    Super bots coming soon. Krieg ohne Hass

    Sincerely,

    Generalfeldmarschall Erwin J. E. Rommel

    #45673

    BOY
    Participant

    @deathbal wrote:

    The suggestion is meant to speed up the game. If it were enabled, you can turn your shield on at any time. No need to wait until last second. Turn your shield on, choose your weapon, and take your shot. Shot’s could be done in 10 seconds.

    this question is hard for me to answer, deathbal has a point, but this is a long standing setting, and it does make it harder in a way.

    however, delayed activation does not take away the suspense, but I would no longer frantically try to re-aim in the 2.5 seconds left before the timer ended, LOL.

    I cannot vote! GAH!

    #45674

    Laptops Daddy
    Participant

    rommel (since we’re hijacking : ),

    i connected to your server earlier (just to check it out – main was full).

    i only saw one level. very impressive.

    regarding mod download size…

    i notice you’re duplicating a lot of the apoc material. you are aware that apoc ships with the game? (i.e. apoc is already on evryone’s computer).

    why not link to the globalmods/apoc dir with a relative path? (it’s what i did in the first mod i made)

    e.g.:

    ../../globalmods/apoc/data/textures/wicons/larmor.bmp
    ../globalmods/apoc/data/wav/explosions/empsmall.wav

    #45675

    imported_gcamp
    Participant

    BTW I am sure you know this but if any server admin wants to change any settings on the server (within reason), don’t think that you have to ask me.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 64 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.