This topic contains 62 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  PeanutsRevenge 10 years ago.

• Author

Deathbal
    Participant

Currently, when you put up a shield, you and everyone else can see it. If this server option is enabled, you can only see your own shield. You can’t see anyone elses shield until the shots are fired.

This is a suggestion for MAIN SERVER.

naka
    Participant

i voted no.
    i think the shelds must be turned on manualy in real time. it gives another competition/gaming moment to the Scorched – who will turn the shileld last and what weapon to use? it makes game more interesting,

it is small game of nerves, like 2 cars driving against each other – who will turn last?

Deathbal
    Participant

The suggestion is meant to speed up the game. If it were enabled, you can turn your shield on at any time. No need to wait until last second. Turn your shield on, choose your weapon, and take your shot. Shot’s could be done in 10 seconds.

BigBear
    Participant

I voted yes.

The way I see it is that most veteran players will finish their weapons selection and aim, then wait for the shot clock to run down and activate their shields within the last 5 secs. This means that the proposed change would not alter the game mechanics at all since we already do it, but waste time when everyone has really finished their moves and are just waiting. The only thing that it would do is to remove an advantage the experienced players have over newbies that haven’t figured this out yet, and tbh I don’t think it’s an advantage that the “pros” need.

parasti
    Participant

Not voting yet.

I don’t agree with naka’s argument about putting the shield up just for the sake of being the last one to do so — if that was the only reason to keep the current behaviour, you’d already have another “yes” vote. Also, I’ve seen many of these “veteran” players wait for the timer to run out even when everyone else has already made the shot. That’s clearly just a waste of everyone’s time.

But it adds an interesting aspect to the game play and I think that is worth keeping. For instance, when I see my victim put up a shield or a mag, I like to be able to switch from baby missiles to leap frogs or rollers to get the kill that I otherwise couldn’t. Likewise, if you already have some kind of shield up and you see your opponent make the shot, you can switch to a stronger shield and thus survive. (I remember Deathbal doing this at least once.)

Obviously none of this is something new players will be able to take advantage of. That doesn’t mean it should be taken away.

KTM Rider
    Participant

I voted no.

I personally like the game of chicken with shields. It adds a level of competition with experienced players. I don’t think that this really gives pro’s an advantage over the newbs. Its just another complexity of the game that can (or cannot) be engaged.

And yes, I like to have the ability to respond to a different shield by changing my weapon.

BigBear
    Participant

@KTM Rider wrote:

I voted no.
    And yes, I like to have the ability to respond to a different shield by changing my weapon.

I would like that too. The thing is that almost all the good players will only give you a second or two, which makes it kinda hard imo.

naka
    Participant

@bigbear wrote:

@KTM Rider wrote:

I voted no.

I would like that too. The thing is that almost all the good players will only give you a second or two, which makes it kinda hard imo.

that too.
    in addition, When i am not in danger i preffer turn the sheild on earlier.

Rommel
    Participant

I voted yes.
    @naka wrote:

i voted no.
    i think the shelds must be turned on manualy in real time. it gives another competition/gaming moment to the Scorched – who will turn the shileld last and what weapon to use? it makes game more interesting,

it is small game of nerves, like 2 cars driving against each other – who will turn last?

Regardless of the poll (I’ve not found them to be very useful) I hope that you will give this option a try. It allows everyone to lock in a shot early and will hopefully speed up the game. The round changes take long enough without some “Pro” delaying the game. The “Pro’s” shouldn’t need much time unless they have been using outside help to become “Pros.” Watch the flashing lights on the radar screen and give the lagging “Pro” a nudge after everyone else is locked in. Maybe they will get the hint.

I’d like the see the first player locked in get a bonus and the last player locked in get a penalty. That would speed up the game a bit I think.

I must go destroy the world now. Krieg ohne Hass

Sincerely,

Generalfeldmarschall Erwin J. E. Rommel

Laptops Daddy
    Participant

@bigbear wrote:

@KTM Rider wrote:

I voted no.

I’m with KTM. I often leave everything to the last 2 seconds or less for exactly that reason. (Literally). (Depending on the level of competition). (Plus I tend to run out of time ’cause I talk too much : )

I agree with Naka. Anything that adds another angle to the game, or chance for unique strategy, should be implemented. (Noughts and Crosses is cool, but play it for long enough and sooner or later you’ll want some Chess).

I also think the real time aspect is very important.

No vote here.

Deathbal
    Participant

Well it does give an advantage to the pros over the noobs. Noobs tend to put up their shield early. A pro sees this and adjusts his weapon.

Enableing delayed defense would add a different aspect to the game. If you see a guy on the side of a hill you normally roll him. With this option, you will not know what shield he has up until after your shot. Enableing this option makes the game a bit harder IMO.

Irishbandit
    Participant

@deathbal wrote:

Well it does give an advantage to the pros over the noobs. Noobs tend to put up their shield early. A pro sees this and adjusts his weapon.

Nope some noobs don’t use shields at all!!!!! 😈 😈

Deathbal
    Participant

Ok, it was a suggestion to speed up the game. I’ll wait until last second as usual if need be.

It’s not about who puts up their shield last. We wait so that no one knows what shield you have up. This suggestion simply eliminates that problem. A no vote is saying you’d rather wait each round. I really think several of the people voting don’t know what the setting is.

BigBear
    Participant

@deathbal wrote:

It’s not about who puts up their shield last. We wait so that no one knows what shield you have up. This suggestion simply eliminates that problem. A no vote is saying you’d rather wait each round. I really think several of the people voting don’t know what the setting is.

I agree 100%.

Out of curiosity naysayers, isn’t it just as much an added element to gameplay if you don’t know if someone is gonna put up a shield or not? You would have to make a risk analysis and decide what type of shot you are gonna make based on the likelyness that your target posesses a shield or not and if so what type.

parasti
    Participant

@bigbear wrote:

Out of curiosity naysayers, isn’t it just as much an added element to gameplay if you don’t know if someone is gonna put up a shield or not? You would have to make a risk analysis and decide what type of shot you are gonna make based on the likelyness that your target posesses a shield or not and if so what type.

You say that as if it was something that is not possible already. That is how it works. The only difference is that the player has a chance to act immediately — and thus potentially speed up the game.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 64 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.