This topic contains 21 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Irishbandit 10 years, 1 month ago.

• Author

snorglat
    Participant

Is there any way to run a dedicated server without X-stuff on a linux machine? (console only)
    If not, this should really become a “todo” topic.

😀

imported_gcamp
    Participant

There should be a -console flag that runs the server in the console.
    Check the documentation for the full list of flags.

snorglat
    Participant

Thnx for the hint, i “accidently” found it with ‘–help’

*note to self #1: rtfm first!*
    *note to self #2: use brain!*

8)

snorglat
    Participant

“-console” still requires libGL, libSDL, libSDL_mixer etc etc

So there is no true headless dedicated binary or did i miss something again?

imported_gcamp
    Participant

@snorglat wrote:

No sorry. It should not require a display or sound though but it does require the libraries to build.

miha_root
    Participant

@gcamp wrote:

@snorglat wrote:

No sorry. It should not require a display or sound though but it does require the libraries to build.

but, why?
    he’s dont need this libraries…

imported_gcamp
    Participant

Because the server and client are the same executable file.

M. O.
    Participant

How would you start multiple servers on the same box runnig headless?
    I would like to get rid of X and cut down on some unneeded ressource hoggs also.
    Thanks.
    M. O.

DeVice
    Participant

You would prolly need a different (os level) user per server or to specify a diferent config file for each server on the command line.

imported_gcamp
    Participant

@m. O. wrote:

How would you start multiple servers on the same box runnig headless?
    I would like to get rid of X and cut down on some unneeded ressource hoggs also.
    Thanks.
    M. O.

The start server command (-startserver) takes the server config file as a parameter.
    e.g. scorched3d -console -startserver myserver.xml

M. O.
    Participant

I undersatand that but I am running 3 different server on 1 machine and in the command line it does not drop me back to command prompt after starting the server to start another. Whould it be possible to do it like this
    scorched3d -console -startserver myserver1.xml myserver2.xml myserver3.xml and have all3 servers start simutaineously?

imported_gcamp
    Participant

@m. O. wrote:

I undersatand that but I am running 3 different server on 1 machine and in the command line it does not drop me back to command prompt after starting the server to start another. Whould it be possible to do it like this
    scorched3d -console -startserver myserver1.xml myserver2.xml myserver3.xml and have all3 servers start simutaineously?

No just do this

scorched3d -console -startserver myserver1.xml &

The & means it will run in the background allowing you to run more than one.
    Or run three command terminals and run one in each.

M. O.
    Participant

@gcamp wrote:

No just do this

scorched3d -console -startserver myserver1.xml &

The & means it will run in the background allowing you to run more than one.
    Or run three command terminals and run one in each.

I gave that a shot and no go. Looks like if running more than 1 server you have to run in gui mode to start them. 😥

cbx550f
    Participant

Try

nohup scorched3d -console -startserver myserver1.xml &

ARI
    Participant

I’d wager that there would be tenfold the number of servers out there if there was a way to compile the bloody thing -without- needing all the damned X libraries / etc. Like it or not, the vast number of collocation hosts /etc **DO NOT RUN X**. This is precisely the reason professional games such as Q3A, D3, HL2, etc, etc all have a console-only dedicated server.

Sorry for being so negative, but this is an awesome game and I would like to host a server for it. I would also like to donate money to it (I donate to almost every open source product I use) but refuse to do so to products I can’t use. While Scorched3D is a fun toy, I’m not about to use VNC or other means to keep a GUI open 24/7, on a Linux box capable of running X, aka my home network. Due to this I’ll lose interest and never give it a second thought after a few days.

Feel free to ignore me–I understand nobody likes listening to angry rants. I am simply expressing my opinion.

Thanks for your time,

Dan.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.